What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Basic computer needs..

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Basic computer needs..
Author: Message:
xpirdwingz

I will still reach u, wherever u r

36 / Female / –
O.P. Basic computer needs..
Hey,
  I figured I'd rather ask here than search, cos I get better answers here :) (sometimes, if any, heh). What does a simple computer require? Like in memory and stuff.
Can you also use Excel in any version of Windows?

~Thanks in advance~
Now I need a new sig... :/
04-05-2005 01:17 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
.Roy
Veteran Member

20 / Male / –
RE: Basic computer needs..
what are u planning to use on the comp?

i would probobly get a computer with

2.4 Ghz
512 Ram
Intel Pentium 4

Those are good over all for a computer
04-05-2005 01:21 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Anubis
Elite Member

34 / Male / Flag
The computers specs always depend on what you want to use it for...
However if you want a really simple computer that is only going to be used for work and no game playing, these ruff specs will do...

Please note these are just specs only if you want a very cheap computer that is only going to be used for working on documents and excel ect. with no game playing

500mhz-1ghz processor (lower will do, but this is the best range, also it may be wise to consider a Celeron processor since they are designed for this kind of use)

128-356mb of SDR RAM (or 128 of DDR RAM)

8-40gb Hard Drive (this really depends on how much you're going to put on your computer, if it's just Office and a load of work you can get away with 8, if you're going to play music or videos go up from here).

Graphics card - 8mb-16mb (again, very low, but if you're not going to do any games playing and only work, it's good)

CD\DVD Drives - If you're using it for work, then a CD-RW drive can be useful for storing work. But you may prefer to invest in a USB Memory Key
USB Drives - 2 will do, if you're not planning to buy a ton of gadgets like Digital Camera and Joysticks (get more for more gadgets)

Inbuilt Modem - Nearly all computers come with them now, few come with ADSL or Cabel ones though, but an inbuilt dial up modem is good for a 56k dial up connection.

I'd also advise you get Windows XP, so that at least the work tools you get are compatable (but run it in a very low grapics mode)

quote:
Originally posted by xpirdwingz
Interesting question. Look on the back of the box or on the Microsoft website for more details.
There are many versions of Excel over the years. The early office packages should work on any of the newer Windows systems (95+) but the more newer ones (Office XP) aren't made with Windows 95 in mind and certainly won't work on 3.1 and lower...but they may work with bugs on 95...

This post was edited on 04-05-2005 at 01:46 PM by Anubis.
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
04-05-2005 01:44 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
user35870
Disabled Account

quote:
Originally posted by Originally posted by xpirdwingz

well i have office 2000 and it works fine with windows xp home
04-05-2005 01:48 PM
.Roy
Veteran Member

20 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
The computers specs always depend on what you want to use it for...
However if you want a really simple computer that is only going to be used for work and no game playing, these ruff specs will do...
(Please note these are just specs if you want a very cheap computer that is only going to be used for working on documents and excel ect.)

500mhz-1ghz processor (lower will do, but this is the best range, also it may be wise to consider a Celeron processor since they are designed for this kind of use)
128-356mb of SDR RAM (or 128 of DDR RAM)
8-40gb Hard Drive (this really depends on how much you're going to put on your computer, if it's just Office and a load of work you can get away with 8, if you're going to play music or videos go up from here).
Graphics card - 8mb-16mb (again, very low, but if you're not going to do any games playing and only work, it's good)
CD\DVD Drives - If you're using it for work, then a CD-RW drive can be useful for storing work. But you may prefer to invest in a USB Memory Key
USB Drives - 2 will do, if you're not planning to buy a ton of gadgets like Digital Camera and Joysticks (get more for more gadgets)
Inbuilt Modem - Nearly all computers come with them now, few come with ADSL or Cabel ones though, but an inbuilt dial up modem is good for a 56k dial up connection.

quote:
Originally posted by xpirdwingz
Interesting question. Look on the back of the box or on the Microsoft website for more details.
There are many versions of Excel over the years. The early office packages should work on any of the newer Windows systems (95+) but the more newer ones (Office XP) aren't made with Windows 95 in mind and certainly won't work on 3.1 and lower...but they may work with bugs on 95...

I dought she means THAT simple of a pc. She probobly wants to play some computer games. Who doesnt play. Also to watch stuff like episodes from the internet. And i dought u can still buy those kind of computers

500 mhz is NOT enough.
04-05-2005 01:48 PM
user35870
Disabled Account

quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes
And i dought u can still buy those kind of computers

you can get them build to be the spec you want.
04-05-2005 02:00 PM
Savior

You can probably get away with a P4 1ghz processor, 512mb ram, video card, sound card and ethernet card.  For most of today's computing that's all you really need unless you will become a huge gamer then you need a top of the line.  Also if money is a concideration  then you have to look at that as well.
04-05-2005 02:36 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
at the Minimum ur gonna need atleast a 2500+Cpu or a intel 2.6 or more with atleast 512MB ram, 128MB Vid card an a decent size HDD
04-05-2005 02:40 PM
user27089
Disabled Account

I wouldn't go for an intel, if you want better performance, go for a:

AMD Athlon XP 2600+ (2.6GHz)
512Mb - 1Gb RAM

that would be a bitch of a computer, and will do all of your basic needs...

Get an ATi Radeon 256Mb Graphics Card...
04-05-2005 02:44 PM
Stigmata
Veteran Member

20 / Other / Flag
get linux
then get open office and you can use excel spreadsheets on it!

reason :
not having to pay for windows
not having to pay for office

04-05-2005 02:51 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: