What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » For All Those Bittorrent Users:I have a question.

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
For All Those Bittorrent Users:I have a question.
Author: Message:
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
O.P. For All Those Bittorrent Users:I have a question.
Hi,

I use bittornado 0.3.10. I have port forwarded the ports my bittorrnado uses. I Have done everything to make it faster. And by doing those stuff it made it faster. But ever before I did those stuff I had the same "problem". The thing is im downloading Elektra DVD-R right now at 40Kb/s Download Rate and 30 Kb/s Upload Rate. I conect with the internet with a wireless B card from linksys that connects to my dads router in the basement(distance from each other: around 8 m.). Our link speed is 11MBps. We have 3 computers using wireless cards and one with an ethernet cord from tghe router directly into the computer in my basement. *SonicSam didnt get to problem yet... Anyways the problem is that when im using bittorrent all the internet gets slow. I mean super slow. Like its probably going to take 5 min to post this when im done writing it. So my question is why is our bandwith being so slow? It might be that my internet card is to far from the router but then again if i dont use bittornado my downloads from regular sites. This site as example it takes like 5 seconds to download MSG Plus. If thats not the reason then can someone help me?

PS: Sorry if its in wrong section. Didnt know if it went into this or Testing and Trashin.

Thanks In Advance,
Your Friendly Neighbour Totally Across The Planet From You,
SonicSam
04-11-2005 11:37 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Concord Dawn
Veteran Member

This is a loopy fruit.

33 / Male / –
RE: For All Those Bittorrent Users:I have a question.
11Mbps is your network speed, your internet speed is almost certainly slower than this. Please tell us your internet speed.
[Image: 7.png]
04-11-2005 11:45 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
wj
Former Admin

I aim to misbehave.

39 / – / Flag
FYI, Wi-fi (802.11b/a/g) uses a shared bandwidth model. So if you have three computers using an 802.11b base station, each has aprox 3.5mbps available to them.
"A towel is about the most massively useful
thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have."
04-11-2005 11:55 PM
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: For All Those Bittorrent Users:I have a question.
quote:
Originally posted by Chaotic_Shield
11Mbps is your network speed, your internet speed is almost certainly slower than this. Please tell us your internet speed.

1.6 megabits per second
I took a test here. http://bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/

EDIT: Just took one fromhere:www.broadbandreports.com and i got this

2005-04-11 20:14:00 EST: 1957 / 351
Your download speed : 2004895 bps, or 1957 kbps.
A 244.7 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 359712 bps, or 351 kbps.

quote:
Originally posted by wj
FYI, Wi-fi (802.11b/a/g) uses a shared bandwidth model. So if you have three computers using an 802.11b base station, each has aprox 3.5mbps available to them.

Oh ok thx for the info

This post was edited on 04-12-2005 at 12:16 AM by prashker.
04-12-2005 12:08 AM
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
your bit torrent is taking up all your upload bandwidth, not only with the bits of file being uploaded, but with the extra info being sent.

That is, computer says;
"Can you send me part 10203", Yep I got it fine", "What parts do you have?", "I have these parts", "OK, I'll send part 50243".

Try not to have too many torrents going at the same time. Due to the nature of bittorrent, having everything going together, will not improve your total download time, as opposed to HTTP downloads.

This post was edited on 04-12-2005 at 01:06 AM by rav0.
| [Image: dorsh] |

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
04-12-2005 12:59 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by rav0
your bit torrent is taking up all your upload bandwidth, not only with the bits of file being uploaded, but with the extra info being sent.

That is, computer says;
[i]"Can you send me part 10203", Yep I got it fine", "What parts do you have?", "I have these parts", "OK, I'll send part 50243".[i/]

Try not to have too amny torrents going at the same time. Due to the nature of bittorrent, having everything going together, will not improve your total download time, as opposed to HTTP downloads.

Ok I understand that.

Well then my other question is when WJ was talking about 11/3=3.5 is there a way u can like take bandwith from someone and transfer it to another computer like example.

Comp 1: 4.5MBPS
Comp 2: 2.5MBPS
Comp 3. 3.5MBPS
04-12-2005 01:05 AM
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
AFAIK, all bandwidth automatically shared around the users, and allocated back to whoever needs it when it is freed up by someone else.

There is a guide for Squid to limit bandwidth to users, links below.

| Squid | The Guide |

This post was edited on 04-12-2005 at 01:19 AM by rav0.
| [Image: dorsh] |

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
04-12-2005 01:19 AM
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by rav0
AFAIK, all bandwidth automatically shared around the users, and allocated back to whoever needs it when it is freed up by someone else.

There is a guide for Squid to limit bandwidth to users, links below.

| Squid | The Guide |

:S I have no idea what i have to do. Any "Controling Internet bandwith For Dummies"?
04-12-2005 02:03 AM
Chestah
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
Bascially if only one computer is using your network, then all the bandwidth will be available to it.

But if all three computers are trying to access it at the same time then it will be shared equally :)
Segosa is newb.
04-12-2005 02:09 AM
lizard.boy
Veteran Member

33 / Male / Flag
the best option would be to use a wired internet connection with the computer that is download the torrents. i hated my wireless connection and ended up pulling cable through the cold air returns and the basement/attic of my house. i also used to find that streaming radio would cut out with wireless. i suppose if its your only choice, your  gonna have to live with it.

(please someone prove me wrong, learning experences are good)
04-12-2005 02:12 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: