What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Computer half turning off

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
Computer half turning off
Author: Message:
squall_leonhart69r
Banned

37 / – / –
RE: Computer half turning off
this is a very common problem

what is happening is when the computer attempts to load data onto the soundcard it forces itself into a lowlevel mode to prevent hardware damage

it sounds like there is a problem either with the sound drivers or the sound card is dieing

i usd to get this with my SB-Live 5.1 when i was using Via hyperions 4.34 and lower on my Aopen AK73 pro a on a Via KT133a chipset

this is caused by a bug in the south bridge

the not coming out of standby i can possibly help you with

have you got use DPMS turned on in the bios

this is a monitor state mode and when some video cards switch to low power they cannot escape it

alot of suspend/standby mode problems are as a result of incorrect ACPI settings in the bios

firstly i would try updating your chipset and soundcard drivers to try to fix the system crash problem
04-24-2005 02:31 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pyroteq
Veteran Member

Formally 'Scone'

33 / Male / –
This can also be related to bios problems which can be fixed with a Bios update, but i strongly dont reccomend that.
04-24-2005 04:21 PM
surfichris
Former Admin

quote:
Originally posted by Scone
This can also be related to bios problems which can be fixed with a Bios update, but i strongly dont reccomend that.
Err, bios updates these days are safe to do as long as you get the right bios for your machine (and some flashing programs wont let you flash your bios unless it matches the existing one)..
04-25-2005 12:04 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
marissa
Veteran Member

ahaha

34 / Female / –
O.P. RE: Computer half turning off
quote:
Originally posted by johny

Do what aahmad said...some time ago my fan and my dvd drive stoped working and i verified the cables and it went fine...

my fan still runs though?

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
1/ Do you have a wireless keyboard? Sometimes (especially on Belkin/Microsoft ones) when the batteries are running really low they tend to like to hit the "sleep" button by themselves. Don't ask me why.
I did, but i uninstalled the drivers a few days ago. This problem has been happening since i moved, and i had my wireless keyboard since christmas :\

quote:

2/ In your BIOS, check through the menu's and you should find settings regarding to CPU power off and temperature settings. Check the temperature they're set to and what they're set to do, ie sometimes you can select if you want it to beep or just power off. Also check in the BIOS the running temperature of the CPU and the RPM of the CPU fan (speed).
I was in BIOS today, but i'll have to check that again.
quote:
3/ What happens (when it is in standby mode) and you push the power button? It should theoretically, if it is in standby mode, power the computer back up from standby mode - if you have a "soft" power button (which i'm assuming you do). Don't hold it in like you do to force the computer to turn off, just push it in once.
I do have a "soft" power button, and usually nothing happens when i press it when in standby. I say usually because if it's fresh in standby it'll come back, if i leave it for a bit it doesnt do anything.
quote:
Originally posted by squall_leonhart69r
what is happening is when the computer attempts to load data onto the soundcard it forces itself into a lowlevel mode to prevent hardware damage
This problem sometimes happens even i dont start to play a song.

Im confused how you guys are talking about my BIOS settings, because i havent touched my BIOS settings since i formatted my computer last summer. THat was just to change the way i format :\ (i used CDs)

I'm kinda thinking it could be that i mixed my cords up. I might be using my monitor to computer cord for my computer to power source cord.

yeah, im noob

Edit: so i read up on some of this and i guess dust is a big problem with computers shutting down from over heating. :\ Today i didnt get a chance to clean it fully, so i'll clean it and be back laterr.

This post was edited on 04-25-2005 at 01:58 AM by marissa.
04-25-2005 01:41 AM
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by marissa

Edit: so i read up on some of this and i guess dust is a big problem with computers shutting down from over heating

you dont use an Intel btw marissa? :refuck:
04-25-2005 02:02 AM
Pyroteq
Veteran Member

Formally 'Scone'

33 / Male / –
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Scone
Err, bios updates these days are safe to do as long as you get the right bios for your machine (and some flashing programs wont let you flash your bios unless it matches the existing one)..

I have evidence that prooves otherwise :p
04-25-2005 02:18 AM
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
i agree with Chris, BIOS updating is Pretty safe if you do it properly
04-25-2005 02:26 AM
marissa
Veteran Member

ahaha

34 / Female / –
K, so i cleaned my little fan thinger, and here are my results :p

it's gross :dodgy:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v383/marissaok/dusty.jpg
04-25-2005 03:03 AM
Chestah
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
lol marissa, where do you keep your computer? You might need to take some more precautions in future to prevent damage to your components if you gather that much dust
Segosa is newb.
04-25-2005 03:06 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
marissa
Veteran Member

ahaha

34 / Female / –
quote:
Originally posted by Chestah
lol marissa, where do you keep your computer? You might need to take some more precautions in future to prevent damage to your components if you gather that much dust

I actually only cleaned that part for the first time tonight...heh. It's kinda against a wall on hardwood floor, so it cant be that bad :\
04-25-2005 03:08 AM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: