What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » Plug-Ins » Xfire Status Plugin v1.1 (sets PM to game name)

Pages: (6): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 6 » Last »
1 votes - 5 average   Xfire Status Plugin v1.1 (sets PM to game name)
Author: Message:
Frackounet

– / – / Flag
RE: Xfire Status Plugin v1.1 (sets PM to game name)
Hello, after installing when i start Msn Messenger i have this error :s
Can you help me someone thanks :p

[Image: xfire0rt.jpg]
06-03-2005 04:37 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
IGx89

Halo Assassin Droid

38 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Xfire Status Plugin v1.1 (sets PM to game name)
Do you have Xfire properly installed (and have run it at least once)? If so, and you're still getting that error, which operating system do you have? That error probably means that APPDATA\Xfire\status.ini (Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Xfire\status.ini in Windows XP) doesn't exist.
06-04-2005 01:19 AM
J-Thread

– / Male / –
This is a very interesting plugin... I was planning to make it, but then without Xfire. But as you say, it really is difficult to get all the game's name's and Ip's...

But I think i can help you. I know how to get the server name + players + scores for steam based games (Half-Life, Counter-Strike, Counter-Strike:Source etc.) when you have the ip... And i'm sure it isn't that difficult to do it with UT and other game's too...

Then another thing, there must be more users who still use msn 6.2 like me... So the PM isn't available there... I would rather see a beter solution for it, for example in the automessage... Of course it should be an option to place it in the PM, but not standard.

Another idea... Isn't it possible to kind of include XFire in your plugin. I don't know much about it, but there should be a way to include an XFire dll and start it as soon as the plugin is loaded. So people don't have to run XFire too, but only your plugin. I think this can be a great plugin (as far as it isn't already)!!

I think it'll be a good idea if we're gonna talk for a while, i think i can really help to improve this plugin (at least you do have a working plugin and I don't;))
06-05-2005 08:25 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Frackounet

– / – / Flag
RE: RE: Xfire Status Plugin v1.1 (sets PM to game name)
quote:
Originally posted by IGx89
Do you have Xfire properly installed (and have run it at least once)?

quote:
It requires Xfire to be installed and running.

oups :p

it's good now but it is not very interesting if one needs another program in addition to the pluggin.

good job anyway

This post was edited on 06-05-2005 at 02:21 PM by Frackounet.
06-05-2005 02:07 PM
Lt.Col.DraGon

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Frackounet
oups :p

it's good now but it is not very interesting if one needs another program in addition to the pluggin.

good job anyway

Well, that's why the name of this plugin is called Xfire Status Plugin .

I think IGx89 will update this plugin so you don't need to run the program, that's what he said long time ago.

This post was edited on 06-07-2005 at 01:16 AM by Lt.Col.DraGon.
06-07-2005 01:08 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
IGx89

Halo Assassin Droid

38 / Male / –
It's certainly possible to detect most of the games that Xfire detects, without Xfire, but it would be a lot of work. It's certainly possible (and would make it much easier) to use Xfire's game data INI file (it's even probably possible to directly use its DLL!), but unfortunately that brings lots of thorny legal/copyright issues into the mix :(. The Xfire devs have been really nice (I've gotten responses to e-mails I've sent in the past), but I doubt they'd agree to something like that. I'll probably look into it some more, but I wouldn't hold your breath if I were you.

I'm also working on a number of other freeware programs (one with a very large userbase), not to mention a full-time internship at Adobe, so even if they did give me permission it would take a while for a new version to be released.

Plus, I submitted this program to both MsgPlus's online plug-in database and Mess.be's online plug-in database over a month ago, and neither has added it yet (or even sent me an e-mail acknowledging my submission!). Certainly not encouraging :(.

Anyway, running Xfire in the background in addition to MSN Messenger isn't that big of deal :). MSN Messenger is currently taking up 21mb of RAM, while Xfire is using less than 3mb! And, Xfire can even automatically download game demos (like the Battlefield 2 demo probably coming out on Friday) the minute they're released, directly from the Xfire servers :).

This post was edited on 06-07-2005 at 02:47 AM by IGx89.
06-07-2005 02:43 AM
J-Thread

– / Male / –
You're absolutely right, without Xfire it is a lot of work, i would almost say it's impossible to make. And off course Xfire uses less then 3 Mb of RAM, but it is another 3 Mb, so i would rather see it included in the plugin :-). Because I already run a lot of program's next to MSN and my games... And, it's easier when users only have to install one plugin, and only have to start msn it works. Now they need Xfire also and need it running...

When I submitted a plugin to fraisie, I got an answer in about 5 minutes. Thanks for my plugin, and they will be testing it. Never heard of it anymore, and the plugin wasn't added to the database... A few months later is suddenly saw that my plugin was in the database, and downloaded more then 10.000 times!:D
06-07-2005 08:45 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Sypher

36 / Male / Flag
Any updates to this Plugin or is it EOL?
Messenger Plus Beta Tester
Plus! Live Faq Maintainer
09-18-2005 09:15 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
IGx89

Halo Assassin Droid

38 / Male / –
No, mostly because the plug-in does the job great for me and there isn't really anything else that needs adding. If there ever need to be compatibility fixes (like if a new version of Messenger or Plus breaks it) I'd certainly release a new version ASAP though.
09-18-2005 03:00 PM
mathieumg

34 / Male / Flag
Nice job :)
Official MessengerPlus! Live French Translator
Official StuffPlug 3 French Translator

:)
09-26-2005 11:05 AM
Pages: (6): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 6 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites