What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » NTFS or FAT32 for an external drive?

Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] Last »
NTFS or FAT32 for an external drive?
Author: Message:
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
RE: NTFS or FAT32 for an external drive?
Any room for a Computer Scientist? Yes? Good.

squall, do you have any idea how a hard drive works? How a filesystem works? How the OS, filesystem and hard disk interact? I've skipped most of your bullshit because you clearly don't understand at all.
For instance, do you know what FAT stands for? In fact, why don't we check your familiarity with FSs in general? So, what's an inode?

I may not have fiddled with hard drives at a low level, but I have written an all-software FAT filesystem, so I know for certain how much you need to overwrite to render the drive useless. How much, do you ask? One entry - the root directory. Overwrite that, and the entire filesystem goes down. Not to mention the complete lack of journalling, which allows small errors to accumulate and cripple the entire partition.

Now, NTFS and its MFT are much more resilient, due mostly to journalling. So, if the root directory is overwritten, the journal can be used to recover it.

As for these CHKDSK errors, you really think they can't be fixed? Free MFT space that's marked as allocated can be remarked as free if that space isn't part of a file. If it is, then you move the data somewhere else, out of the MFT.
Try doing that in FAT32 - you can't.

As for these errors 'proving' that there's a flaw...
(at this point patience expires)
That is absolute bollocks. I'm sorry, but a few people experience an entirely fixable error, and you call it a major flaw?

Microsoft haven't patched the bug since there is no bug!
[Image: spartaafk.png]
04-29-2005 05:29 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
TheBlasphemer

36 / – / –
RE: NTFS or FAT32 for an external drive?
quote:
Originally posted by squall_leonhart69r
well its just that some bios's don't support over 125gb partitions so by splitting the hard disk that way would increase support

who cares about facts

what is a fact in this world?

i can tell you a fact is just a belief till someone proves it

and i and many other people who got this error proved it

so that makes it a fact

BIOS's don't support disks over 125GB ?
Whahaha, he's talking about an EXTERNAL hard disk here...
EXTERNAL! meaning it uses a USB 'connection', and the BIOS hard-drive features are NOT NOT NOT used...
No IDE cables, no SATA cables, the BIOS probably doesn't even KNOW there is a hard disk attached...
jezus christ, why do you keep hanging on to bullshit like that ?
Pfff, people like you piss me off :@
[Image: theblasp.png]
04-29-2005 05:41 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: