What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Wikipedia.org vs Encarta&Britannica

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Wikipedia.org vs Encarta&Britannica
Author: Message:
alegator

O.P. Huh?  Wikipedia.org vs Encarta&Britannica
Why would anyone want to waste over 4Gb of hard drive space installing Encarta or britannica if any info can be found online like wikipedia.org?
05-02-2005 04:19 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
user27089
Disabled Account

RE: Wikipedia.org vs Encarta&Britannica
Because they're more useful to access if you don't have the time or knowledge to access to the internet, or maybe they just don't have the internet...

It's very accessible and generally easy to use, they're both amazing programs, and I can assure you, that wikipedia probably doesn't have half of what either of those two pieces of software will ;).
05-02-2005 04:22 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
alegator

O.P. RE: Wikipedia.org vs Encarta&Britannica
What I meant is that almost any sort of information on any subject can be found in the Internet, name it wikipedia or elsewhere. So I guess if one knows basic searching there's no need for installing these programs.
05-02-2005 04:29 PM
user27089
Disabled Account

That doesn't really matter, everything isn't on the internet, there is the odd 1 or 2 things that aren't on the internet... So having these programs is useful to find them. Remember aswell, kids use these programs, they aren't that good with the internet, there is a lot of crap on the internet that the kids can download and stuff, but with these programs, they don't really have to worry about searching for something and getting crappy results...

What if people don't have the internet?
05-02-2005 04:31 PM
mad_onion

Windows Vista Rules!

35 / Male / –
yeah i think encarta still is useful i dont have it installed but i can imagine it would be a lot easier than looking on the internet for info
[Image: vistasig9ys.jpg]
05-02-2005 04:37 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
.Roy
Veteran Member

20 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by alegator
Why would anyone want to waste over 4Gb of hard drive space installing Encarta or britannica if any info can be found online like wikipedia.org?

Like Traxor said. Many people are stupid when it comes to Internet. They wouldnt know where to go get the information and it just takes a lot of time.

So in like places like libraries where the peoples job doesnt have to do with computers. They might have less knowledge seeing as the Internet takes time to learn and get used too. So basically they just learn how to use a simple program.

Also what do you do if you lose your Internet Connection and you have a project due? You need to get information. This is the solution :P.
05-02-2005 04:41 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
Sites like Wikipedia are good, true; however, programs like Encarta are much more preferable for families and schools, as then the kids can be guaranteed accurate information safely. Also, the less they're allowed to explore the 'Net, the less likely they are to make a big mistake before they learn how to prevent it.

The Internet is a fine resource, if used correctly.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
05-02-2005 05:26 PM
alegator

O.P. RE: Wikipedia.org vs Encarta&Britannica
Thanks everyone for their feedback on this subject. I do agree with the view about being more safe for kids or being useful for people not having internet access or not competent at searching the net. My question is: say you have broadband access and are good at searching info on the net, would you still have one of these encyclopedias installed? Do they have any added value?
05-03-2005 03:19 AM
.Roy
Veteran Member

20 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by alegator
Thanks everyone for their feedback on this subject. I do agree with the view about being more safe for kids or being useful for people not having internet access or not competent at searching the net. My question is: say you have broadband access and are good at searching info on the net, would you still have one of these encyclopedias installed? Do they have any added value?
Not really seeing as you can find any information you want over the web. But yet again some people arent experienced enough to get that information.

Also internet connection costs money when you can just get a cd for encarta and people can find their information without browsing the web. Seeing as this is cheaper.
05-03-2005 05:52 AM
segosa
Community's Choice

This reminds me of one of the questions I came across in computing. "What are the advantages and disadvantages of using the Internet or an encyclopedia to find information"

Encyclopedia:
- Information is most likely to be accurate
- Easily accessible

- Disadvantage: limited information

Internet:
- A lot of information

- Disadvantage: children may come across things they shouldn't... :P
- Disadvantage: most information is irrelevant
- Disadvantage: searching may take a while

The previous sentence is false. The following sentence is true.
05-03-2005 06:43 AM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: