What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » MSN Messenger huge resource hog

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
MSN Messenger huge resource hog
Author: Message:
alegator

O.P. RE: MSN Messenger huge resource hog
Cookie, when I open the Windows task Manager and click on the "Processes" tab you have a list of the running processes and below, at the bottom of the window there's a "Commit Charge" reading. When I reboot WinXP that reading is usually about 268MB and as I open applications of course this reading increases. What I'm saying is that having 3 MSN clients open (which adds 3 msnmsgr.exe tasks to the list) make the commit charge increase by a whopping 500MB approx. This can be concluded because when I end the MSN tasks (eventhough each of them uses ~9MB) the commit charge goes down to 300MB from over 800MB.
05-05-2005 02:31 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: MSN Messenger huge resource hog
thus the "total memory usage"...

Well, if it goes down again when you close the applications, then there is no problem.

Yes, it can be much at first sight, but remember that Windows uses page files and file mapping and stores many data on HDD as virtual memory. If, for some reason, your PC is a bit slow, has some low memory, is busy with other things, or what not, this figure can go up considerably. Also remember that Windows isn't that accurate in reporting memory usage.

Although an increase of 250MB is indeed much and maybe abnormal. Check if you have the same increase without applying any patches (other then polygamy)...
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-05-2005 02:52 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
alegator

O.P. RE: MSN Messenger huge resource hog
I only patched the 813 build with A-Patch. I'm also using Plus!.
05-05-2005 03:04 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: