What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » software for playing dvds

Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
software for playing dvds
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: software for playing dvds
PowerDVD installs codecs. Good codecs are often independent of the actual software, so yeah, when installing PowerDVD you also automatically enable WMP to play them.

(But you still wouldn't be able to use the many nice features of PowerDVD in WMP of course. And why installing PowerDVD just to play DVD's in WMP anyways? that doesn't make much sense :D)

Oh and in my experience, WMP shows a total different (wrong) color temperature for some DVD's also. It doesn't respect (changing) aspect ratio's as it should. And the interface, compared to PowerDVD's is very clumsy (try to change scenes, languages, subtitles, sound codecs, camera angles, etc... it is very clumsy, if not impossible.)

in short WMP *beeps* for playing DVD's...

This post was edited on 05-09-2005 at 03:18 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-09-2005 03:15 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
PowerDVD installs codecs. Good codecs are often independent of the actual software, so yeah, when installing PowerDVD you also automatically enable WMP to play them.
Cool. :p

I wonder if you can get these DVD codecs for free, separately? From the web searching I've done, I get the impression that you can't.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/windowsxp/dvdplay.aspx
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/windowsxp/buypacks.aspx ¬¬

quote:
And why installing PowerDVD just to play DVD's in WMP anyways? that doesn't make much sense
Yes it does, if you installed it to be able to play DVDs. That's quite an improvement. :p

I don't think I should have to install a whole new player application if I just want to watch a DVD on my PC and I'm already used to watching all my videos in WMP. :-/

[Image: wdz.gif]
05-09-2005 03:42 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: software for playing dvds
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
And why installing PowerDVD just to play DVD's in WMP anyways? that doesn't make much sense
Yes it does, if you installed it to be able to play DVDs. That's quite an improvement. :p
I don't think I should have to install a whole new player application if I just want to watch a DVD on my PC and I'm already used to watching all my videos in WMP. :-/
Well, but that's my point... Why using the lacking interface of WMP (and the bad rendering and all) when you have installed a specific dedicated program to play DVD's in the first place. The added option in WMP to see DVD's when you install PowerDVD for example, is nothing more then that, a quick crude option to quickly review something on a DVD (in bad quality) or something.

(This is indeed something MS should sort out with own good and decent codecs or something. But licenses, rights, copyrighted stuff, etc are the things which prevent this I think; hence you need to "buy" the codecs if you don't want to install another 3rd party application (which you need to buy also in most cases))

This post was edited on 05-10-2005 at 03:57 AM by CookieRevised.
05-10-2005 03:35 AM
Lt.Col.DraGon

35 / Male / Flag
I suggest PowerDVD, great program for watching DVD's , but i recommend you that you close all programs first before you play the movie.
05-10-2005 03:45 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
indeed, closing other programs frees up some more resources for the decoder to do its job. But this goes also for any other DVD playing software as well... (although on today's systems, the hardware buffer of your DVD player and video acceleration settings in Windows have more influence in the playback performance then the open programs you may have running)
05-10-2005 03:57 AM
Concord Dawn
Veteran Member

This is a loopy fruit.

33 / Male / –
InterVideo WinDVD > * kthx.

It is extremely light on CPU (I should know, I can run it on a 500MHz machine perfectly fine), minimal interface.
[Image: 7.png]
05-10-2005 04:02 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
user27089
Disabled Account

I like using InterActual Player, purely because it's easy, and it comes with most warner brothers dvds, for free... and most warner brothers films or other film companies, skin it aswell for you, and it's really cool lol...

But I also use, PowerDVD, Windows Media Player and Intervideo WinDVD
05-10-2005 07:13 AM
Nathan
Veteran Member

Yeah, "large dimensions" ;)

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: software for playing dvds
were do u get InterActual Player and is it free (im a cheap skate) lol
Touch Innovation - touch friendly programs/applications for the windows mobile!

05-10-2005 04:58 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
mwe99
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
InterActual Player

:- http://player.interactual.com/

Not free I don't believe unless you are on a Mac
05-10-2005 05:15 PM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »