What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » How to set up a home wireless network?

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
How to set up a home wireless network?
Author: Message:
Nathan
Veteran Member

Yeah, "large dimensions" ;)

– / Male / Flag
RE: How to set up a home wireless network?
This is were Apple Mac comes in.
The only decent thing on Mac is that Setting up wireless Network is dead easy! :O
Touch Innovation - touch friendly programs/applications for the windows mobile!

05-26-2005 06:53 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Striker

40 / Male / –
well its not so much setting up a connection on your computer for the wireless.. its setting up the wireless router properly
05-26-2005 07:01 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Concord Dawn
Veteran Member

This is a loopy fruit.

33 / Male / –
It's better to get a router IMO, because then you can have the router always on and you don't need to have the computer always on. Also, the router is dedicated to it's task, while the computer will be affected by it's CPU speed and NIC. I'd go for the router, and if you're worried about low signal strength go for one that supports 802.11g. 802.11b is a weaker signal because it operates at a lower frequency. 802.11g will give you a better connection and higher speed. (54mbps for g vs. 11mbps for b)
[Image: 7.png]
05-26-2005 07:09 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
yxk

I am not a good person for a wireless network.
Please tell me how easy to set up a wireless network and what hardware and software do I need.
Thank s
05-11-2006 02:03 AM
Adeptus

quote:
Originally posted by Concord Dawn
It's better to get a router IMO, because then you can have the router always on and you don't need to have the computer always on.
I second that.  Use a router.  Not depending on the PC to be always on is just one reason; a router is a better solution in many ways.

I don't think anyone else has pointed this out yet and it may be obvious, but there's no reason to make everything wireless.  At least one of your desktop computers is close enough to the modem to connect with a cable now; you can keep it that way (but connect it to the router). 

Depending on where the second desktop computer is located, you may want to connect it wired as well.  If that wouldn't be convenient, choose an internal wireless card only if it has a detached antenna (separate from the card and connecting to it with a cable); otherwise go with a USB one.  There are many cheap PCI wireless cards on the market that have a short antenna fixed to the card and sticking out the back of your computer.  That is not a very good idea -- computer cases are usually made of metal and effectively shield the antenna from one side.
quote:
I'd go for the router, and if you're worried about low signal strength go for one that supports 802.11g. 802.11b is a weaker signal because it operates at a lower frequency. 802.11g will give you a better connection and higher speed. (54mbps for g vs. 11mbps for b)
Just to nitpick, for those concerned with such technical detail: the above statement requires correction. 

Both 802.11b and 802.11g operate on the same exact frequencies in the 2.4GHz band.  802.11g achieves higher speeds by using a different modulation method.

The standard that actually operates at a higher frequency (5GHz) is 802.11a.  However, this does not result in better signal penetration indoors, but exactly the opposite: in the microwave range, higher frequencies are more readily absorbed by matter.
quote:
Originally posted by alegator
Also, in case the signal is weak in some areas of the house, should I add a repeater? If so, which one?
Don't worry about that until you have to.  Unless you live in a palace or have metal walls, any basic router will easily cover an entire house.

If you believe this may be an issue, I'd recommend looking for older versions of Linksys routers (still left on the store shelves here and there), for which you can get third party firmware and optional high gain antennas.
05-11-2006 03:45 AM
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: How to set up a home wireless network?
quote:
if you're worried about low signal strength go for one that supports 802.11g. 802.11b is a weaker signal because it operates at a lower frequency. 802.11g will give you a better connection and higher speed. (54mbps for g vs. 11mbps for b)
That's incorrect, like Adeptus stated. 802.11b isn't a weaker signal than 802.11g. 802.11b doesn't operate on lower frequencies than 802.11g. 802.11g will give higher speeds than 802.11b. 802.11g won't necessarily give you a "better" connection, whatever that means.
| [Image: dorsh] |

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
05-11-2006 09:32 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Reaper
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
Presuming you are using Windows XP, I used this link, from Microsoft which helped me with my connection. Works perfectly for me. Its a step by step guide on how to set up a network without a router.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networki...man_02april08.mspx
05-11-2006 10:23 AM
nynurse1

hiya.....
i have time warner cable

i just have a laptop

i want to set up a router so that i can work on it anywhere in the house but do not have a pc.

does anyone know how i would go about this?

thanks tons for your help in advance:)

nynurse1
05-19-2008 12:33 PM
tony

36 / Male / Flag
It would be the same thing, modem > router > laptop

in some cases the router already comes with the wireless radio on, so you just have to join into the network, if it's secure you will have to look for the key and most of the times its printed in the unit itself or on the box.
[Image: beginnerbadgeef2.gif][Image: danceichigoow9.gif]
05-19-2008 01:06 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
nynurse1

thank you so much for replying so quickly!
05-19-2008 10:56 PM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: