What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » powersupply

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
powersupply
Author: Message:
Savior

O.P. powersupply
Hi,

I wanna know I have a 230w power supply right now and whenever I do any type of gaming or anything really stressfull on my PC like a movies and games I hear the fan going and it's really loud.  Does that mean that the power supply is going or do I just need one with 300w supply or larger?  I have a compaq high tower PC

Thanks for the help
05-27-2005 01:29 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
RE: powersupply
It means the system is getting a little overheated, so maybe a new PSU would help. Go for as much power as you can afford.

Does the fan noise come from the PSU itself?
[Image: spartaafk.png]
05-27-2005 10:07 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
user13774
Disabled Account

It could also be your CPU fan I guess...
05-27-2005 10:15 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
Your computer has automatic fan control features. Some motherboards (and PSUs) include this feature. It means that when the CPU (or case or PSU) is cooler, because of a light load the fan speed is dropped by lowering the voltage fed to the fan.

My Asus motherboard lowers CPU fan speed when my reported CPU temperature is lower. Some Antec PSUs drop the voltage to certain outputs which are meant for fans.

If your power supply has worked until now, it most likely isn't just dieing on you. If you haven't noticed the fan loudening before, it is probably because you have newer, more CPU-intensive applications/games, or maybe just you use things with less sound now.

If you are really worried, just take your computer to your local computer shop, and ask them to have a look at it for you. (If your PSU makes a rumbling noise, not a whirring noise, be worried. I am taking my computer to ARC Computers tomorrow for that reason.)
| [Image: dorsh] |

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
05-27-2005 12:03 PM
Savior

O.P. RE: powersupply
it's 1 ghz processor yes it is.  I put my hand on the back of the power supply and it is blowing air in and our really loudly.  It's not a rumbling noise it's just like a loud blowing noise.
05-27-2005 01:18 PM
Pyroteq
Veteran Member

Formally 'Scone'

33 / Male / –
I think your PSU Is reacting to the heat, and speeding up your fan. While thats probly nothing too big i would recomend you get a higher quality (and larger capacity) psu
05-27-2005 01:40 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Savior

300W should do fine right?
05-27-2005 03:01 PM
Pyroteq
Veteran Member

Formally 'Scone'

33 / Male / –
well if the 230 is what your running now and you dont have any power problems then yeah, it should be fine.

If noise is your worry, go with a SilenX power supply.
If power and quality is your worry then go with an Antec TruePower. (although in saying that there are many other very good supplys out there)
If you just want a cheapie, go down to your local computer hardware store and you can pick one up for $20-30 That will save your psu stressing to put out that extra power, but your noise will stay the same.
05-27-2005 03:18 PM
Savior

I'm having no power issues just noise is the issue, It annoys the hell out of me.  I have a few laying around the house that work fine I think they are 300w ones.  But since I have a compaq does that matter when replacing a power supply or any brand will do?

thanks
05-27-2005 04:53 PM
buzz

be a good bee

– / Male / –
mmm before you buy anything out should try to just clean the dust off the fan....dont blow the dust into the computer tho. This was a problem with me(the dust on fan) i cleaned it and it sounded normal again
05-27-2005 07:14 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: