What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website » Forum Needs some Changing?

Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
Poll: What do you think about this idea about Dividing the forum some more? Giving it some more Sub-forums...
I think this idea would greatly improve the forum quality
I think this idea is good, but not help improve much
I think this idea is ok, but I don't care to much
I don't care (please don't use this too much)
I don't like the idea, I don't think it will work
I don't like the idea, it would create to much "distance"
I don't like the idea, it would mess up the entire forum and make everything worse
[Show Results | Edit Poll]
Note: This is a public poll; other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Forum Needs some Changing?
Author: Message:
(CyBeRDuDe)

37 / Male / –
O.P. Forum Needs some Changing?
Well here we go again, I've been trying to ask about this along time ago, but now I decided to give it one more try...

I see a lot of posts complaining about this forum being bad beacuse of useless spam and junk...
Well... Why is it that people are not allowed to spam in the T&T?... Isn't that really the purpose of that Subforum? Or am I being all wrong here?... The posts are deletede each day, and the post count doesn't go up... Then why complain about people spamming there?...

Well... I'm also feeling that the forum lags of "Places/Corners", for the induvidual things being talked about... I'm especially talking about the Plugins Section (This is also mainly the place where I read/post)... I would REALLY like to see the plugins section being more divided into groups... I'm getting really pissed about the many wasted hours of reading the same questions about a plugin over and over again, and the same requests etc.... Can't we divide this into more categories(3-5)... Examples could be:
- Help (Help with plugins, errors, not working, "the n00bs" area.. etc.)
- Creation (The place where the plugin creators could talk and exchange information, and new plugin creators can learn how to do plugins and get help etc...)...
- Release (Where the plugin creators release their work and beta's, and get feedback from others, not intended to the usual "can't make it work" threads... Only for Releasing/Beta Testing, feedback etc)
- Request (Here people can request new plugins or ask if this has been created)...

Maybe Release and Request could be in one, who knows, up to the Admins of this forum to decide...
But I really think this would clean up the forum... If a "noob" signs up to the forum to ask a  quesiton about a problem with a plugin, he goes to Help section and he might notice that one of the Top posts are exactly about this particular plugin or problem...
This way we(The plugin creators) will also have a far better chance of devoting our time to the creation of our plugins and to concentrate more on what we are doing, yes I know this forum also ae about helping people, but I think there is a fair deal of helpers out there compared to how many plugin creators there are, and if the plugin creators have to spend much of their time on Helping others the time before a release will raise suffeciently...
I'm not just talking about the plugins section, but in generally I think we need to split the Forum some more... (not meaning splitting the community, but to divide the sections some more)... Right now there are around 150000 posts on this forum, divided in only 10/11 Subs!!!..
We need some more orginisation in this forum, I think this would greatly improve the quality of this forum...
Yes, there would be a problem with the "old posts".. But just leave them where they are and create the new subs now... That would at least be a start...

I hope my post is clear and gets through to someone????

I have added a poll, hopefully this will give all users a chance to vote and show what their thoughts about this is... Hopefully this would catch the attention of some Mods/Patchou... I hope I gave this poll some fair choices...

Thanks for listening everbody!.. Please give any feedbacks (As long as it sticks with the Thread, Please don't go to much offtopic)

<offtopic> :P...
Post 400... Lol!! :S..
</offtopic>

This post was edited on 05-30-2005 at 12:11 PM by (CyBeRDuDe).
05-30-2005 11:57 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
RE: Forum Needs some Changing?
I've been thinking similar for a while actually.

Subforums are only visible inside other forums.
I think you're talking like forums inside as section like "Forum & Website" is inside a General section. However "Poll Centre" is a subforum of General Chit Chat.
The main difference is subforums aren't visible on the front page, which makes them less useful to "noobs", who won't bother looking into these places.

In Messenger & Technology I'd like to see a;
MSN/Windows Messenger Support forum

However, I wouldn't like to see it lead to forums being made for individual plugins, which just gets to be a pain (I'm thinking StuffPlug mainly).

This post was edited on 05-30-2005 at 12:10 PM by Anubis.
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
05-30-2005 12:04 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
I like the plugin idea becuase ive just speant ages looking for plugins to add to my database (Y)
05-30-2005 12:06 PM
~INVASION~
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
i actually like your idea :)
{WindowsLive Butterfly ~ 2006 - 2009}
05-30-2005 12:06 PM
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Yeah sup forums could be made which will help even more. e.g in plugins, msg genral talk and msn/ messenger talk :)
05-30-2005 12:07 PM
user27089
Disabled Account

Personally I really like the idea, whether or not it happens though is over to WDZ and the other administrators of this forum. It would definitely help to avoid any confusion for the newer members and the older members of this forum, definitely tidy it up a lot.

I'm not sure about any other tidying up though, I think that only sorting out the plugins section would suffice.
05-30-2005 12:10 PM
-dt-
Scripting Contest Winner

;o

35 / Male / Flag
I personaly think its a bad idea , the forums have enough subforums to cover each aspect of what this forum talks about , and you do know there is a thing called "messenger plus! plugin database" which i dont know if its just me but look for plugins there? insted of having a subforum for it. BUT i feel the user dosnt have enough controll over that webpage , I think after it gets accepted the auther of the plugin can update his plugin for each version/remove his plugin insted of emailing frasie each time.
[Image: dt2.0v2.png]      Happy Birthday, WDZ
05-30-2005 12:13 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
(CyBeRDuDe)

37 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Forum Needs some Changing?
Nice.. :D.. I see great supporting in my suggestion in only a few minuttes.. :D..
Yes Traxor, it's up to WDZ and the Admins, but if we can make him/them see positive on this subject we can convince him/them to do it.. ;)...
quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
Subforums are only visible inside other forums.
I think you're talking like forums inside as section like "Forum & Website" is inside a General section. However "Poll Centre" is a subforum of General Chit Chat.
The main difference is subforums aren't visible on the front page, which makes them less useful to "noobs", who won't bother looking into these places.

Yes I'm talking about the "greater" subforums... I would like to see the plugins section as a Main Forum, and under that have the subforums... But also the "smaller" subforums are a great idea... But yes, they make it harder for the "noobs" to find what they are looking because they don't look that "far" down... But a few more of these won't hurt... Maybe even StuffPlug could get it's own Subforum under Plugins --> Help... Etc...

quote:
However, I wouldn't like to see it lead to forums being made for individual plugins, which just gets to be a pain (I'm thinking StuffPlug mainly).
Well... Yes I see your point, but as a Subforum of a subforum Itm ight be a great idea to add a stuffplug, since there are so many posts out there about stuffplug problems/questions etc... So this might tidy the fourm a bit to have all these posts into the sub forum of the subforum of Plugins....
I hope you understand?.. I might draw a (badly drawn) picture in MSPaint later today...

quote:
Originally posted by -dt-
I personaly think its a bad idea , the forums have enough subforums to cover each aspect of what this forum talks about , and you do know there is a thing called "messenger plus! plugin database" which i dont know if its just me but look for plugins there? insted of having a subforum for it. BUT i feel the user dosnt have enough controll over that webpage , I think after it gets accepted the auther of the plugin can update his plugin for each version/remove his plugin insted of emailing frasie each time.
The Messenger Plus! Plugin Database can't be compared at all with this forum... Beta's Should NEVER be released on the Database, the plugin creators wants to be able to release their plugins for testing without it going to the world wide public... We want to have a fair deal of control with what is going on... We don't suddenly want 1.000.000 people asking Why this plugin doesn't work... We want a place in this forum where we can quietly release out software to the few curious others here, and then when it's ready for public we can release it on the Database, but until it's stable nough for that we want to be able to make the others here on the forum try it out... But beacuse there are so many new posts and threads daily in the plugins section, projects are easily forgotten... Beacuse they "move down the line"... If we sorted this section soem more, we would have much more control of what is going on and properly cut the post count down to the half, since many of the posts/started threads are the same questions OVER AND OVER AGAIN.... I'm just getting tired of this.. I don't want to spend all my time skimming over the first 100 threads to get to a thread I care about... I am interessed in developong plugins and to test others projects.. That's all i'm here for.. I don't care if litle Peter has a problem running Stuffplug, that is not why i'm here.. I'm here to create things for the people and to be part of the programming community...

This post was edited on 05-30-2005 at 12:29 PM by (CyBeRDuDe).
05-30-2005 12:21 PM
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by (CyBeRDuDe)

Well... Yes I see your point, but as a Subforum of a subforum Itm ight be a great idea to add a stuffplug
StuffPlug has it's own support forum though, and tidying up loads of old posts is a task that I doubt anyone will do, it'll take a long time to perfectly organise about 15,000 threads. And when the mods have to constantly organise threads to the exact perfect sub forum, it'll be hard. The people who want help usually just click on the first forum with the word "help" in, on the forums. Even if it's help for a plugin or MSN Messenger itself.

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
whether or not it happens though is over to WDZ and the other administrators of this forum
Yeah, we all know that, however without putting ideas forward, how will things get done.

<offtopic>
Speaking of things getting done. I just noticed this thread. In which it says the staff are deciding on a new moderator. Any light on that yet? 'Tis been over a month now.
</offtopic>
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
05-30-2005 12:29 PM
(CyBeRDuDe)

37 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Forum Needs some Changing?
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by (CyBeRDuDe)

Well... Yes I see your point, but as a Subforum of a subforum Itm ight be a great idea to add a stuffplug
StuffPlug has it's own support forum though, and tidying up loads of old posts is a task that I doubt anyone will do, it'll take a long time to perfectly organise about 15,000 threads. And when the mods have to constantly organise threads to the exact perfect sub forum, it'll be hard. The people who want help usually just click on the first forum with the word "help" in, on the forums. Even if it's help for a plugin or MSN Messenger itself.
Ok, maybe not add Stuffplug as a Subforum etc.. But still.. The general idea of cleaning up the fourm a bit is really tempting...
Well.. I did state in my post that the "old posts" shoudln't be touched, just leave them as they are... But instead start buliding the new systems/subsforums... So in the future it will look good and be more tidy... But if we continue as we do now the problem will only get bigger and bigger... This needs action NOW... The old posts could just remain as they are now, and once in a while when a mod stumbles apon these threads they could move to them their new place, everything doesn't have to happen in 1 day, but if it is a long taking process then let it be a long taking process.... Rome wasn't build in one day either... :P..

This post was edited on 05-30-2005 at 01:02 PM by (CyBeRDuDe).
05-30-2005 01:00 PM
Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: