What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Messenger Plus! for windows xp x64

Pages: (4): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 » Last »
Messenger Plus! for windows xp x64
Author: Message:
dutch2005

O.P. Messenger Plus! for windows xp x64
is there going to be a Messenger Plus! made available for windows xp x64?

i guess its mostly just a matter of recompiling the stuff to 64bits...

if no beta tester are available for that, i would make a statement that i would be happy to help testing a 64bits messenger plus!
05-31-2005 07:24 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Messenger Plus! for windows xp x64
I'm sure that when Patchou gets a 64-bit PC with 64-bit Windows, he'll make 64-bit Plus!. Until then, we're stuck with a mere 32 bits I'm afraid.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
05-31-2005 07:58 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
dutch2005

O.P. RE: Messenger Plus! for windows xp x64
hmm, that wont be needed... I guess :P, i mean, all you need is stuff like :
Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 SP1 and
microsof Visual Studion 2005 (the compiler must be able to compile 64bits instructions), he wont need a 64 bits cpu.. why?? well he just compilese it as 64bits, and sends it out to a few beta testers first like 5 -10, if it works, he can get some more people test it out, and voila messenger plus! 64bits is born :P

heck 32bits hardware can compile it as far as i could read it

quote:
Go Ahead and Port
More Exciting Porting and Portability Tips
When it's time to compile, use the /Wp64 switch with the Microsoft Visual C/C++ compiler; it's available on the 32-bit compiler, and using it is one of the first steps to porting. With that switch thrown, the compiler will warn you about portability issues—pay attention to those messages, since you want to get your code "64-bit clean." (If you're working with the "Whidbey" version of Visual Studio .NET, please note that it includes native support for compiling to AMD64 Windows platforms!)

Post compilation, be sure to test, test, test. You may find additional bugs in your code, especially when implicit conversions don't go as you'd expect. Be careful to keep synchronization between C and assembly data structures, and pay attention to the new data types, data sizes and alignments.
Finally, use benchmarking to help identify parts of your code that need extra attention after the port. The ideal tool is AMD CodeAnalyst , which you can download free of charge. DevX has written an article about it—see "Getting In Touch With Your Inner Code."

Mike Wall is a Senior Member of Technical Staff in the Developer Performance Team at Advanced Micro Devices Inc.
source: http://www.devx.com/amd/Article/17783/2907?pf=true

subject: Tricks for porting applications to 64-bit Windows om AMD64 architecture...

This post was edited on 05-31-2005 at 08:17 PM by dutch2005.
05-31-2005 08:12 PM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
So all Patchou needs is the (currently Beta) VS.NET 2005.
05-31-2005 09:26 PM
dutch2005

O.P. RE: Messenger Plus! for windows xp x64
well reading some things through i guess all patchou really needs is

Microsoft Visual C/C++ compiler + the /Wp64 switch

making sure all the stuff is corrected (pointers to int's and stuff like that, i think the source would be best first checked by AMD's "CodeAnalyst2.34.4" (dont know if there is/will be a intel counterpart, yet i dont think that will mind, because the intel implementation is almost indentical to AMD's version of AMD64...)

why check it out? well that way it wll run better on win xp x64..

and if you manage to make the code compatible with both win32 AND win64, the benefit will be that you would only be needing to support 1 source code, and that source will need to be compiled 2x 1x win32 1x win64 (x64)
05-31-2005 09:34 PM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
I was about to ask 'don't 32-bit apps work on 64-bit machines', but then remembered Plus does some fancy memory shnitz. That kinda makes it limited to 32-bit.

And why I think Patchou may need a 64-bit machine to test with.

This post was edited on 05-31-2005 at 09:37 PM by RaceProUK.
05-31-2005 09:37 PM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
lol... if it was just a matter of "recompile with the 64bits option enabled", that would already have been done. Messenger Plus! needs to manipulates several kinds of pointers which requires the code itself to be modified to be 64bits compatible. This will be done when Windows 64bits will be in its final stage and when I'll have a 64bits CPU (there's no way I'll buy an AMD :p).
[Image: signature2.gif]
05-31-2005 10:59 PM
Dane
Non-Elite Member

Dont ask to ask, just ASK!

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
lol... if it was just a matter of "recompile with the 64bits option enabled", that would already have been done. Messenger Plus! needs to manipulates several kinds of pointers which requires the code itself to be modified to be 64bits compatible. This will be done when Windows 64bits will be in its final stage and when I'll have a 64bits CPU (there's no way I'll buy an AMD :p).
And Patchou would have to select a group of 64-bit testers...
06-01-2005 12:05 AM
wj
Former Admin

I aim to misbehave.

39 / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou

Then just buy an Itanium, Otherwise we could be waiting ALONG time.
"A towel is about the most massively useful
thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have."
06-01-2005 12:15 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by wtbw
This is very different from the version of Windows that Itanium ran on. Even though it is 64-bit, it's a totally different architecture ;)
Itanium is intended for servers IIRC. Intel wouldn't have made a desktop version of that: they wouldn't be able to compete with AMD then. So they basically copied AMD, renamed the extensions EM64T (AMD64 sounds cooler though), and will be using that for desktop processors.
06-01-2005 10:10 AM
Pages: (4): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: