What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » What do you think?

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
What do you think?
Author: Message:
xpirdwingz

I will still reach u, wherever u r

36 / Female / –
O.P. Undecided  What do you think?
Hey guyz and galz.. University: important, not everything? I don't really want to go..i'm not saying no, i still have a year left.. Opinions? I know its my choice, but let me know.. x x x
Now I need a new sig... :/
06-10-2005 04:12 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
MeEtc
Patchou's look-alike

In the Shadow Gallery once again

38 / Male / Flag
RE: What do you think?
sure, university is important but its not your only option. also consider  taking up a trade, It doesn't take asmuch time to complete and results can be well worth it if you plan carefully. Example, plumbers and electricians are in extremly high demand where I am. spend 2 years in trade school, year or 2 as an apprentice, and you're set.

I am currently finshing first year of uni myself, and consider myself broke. It's quite expensive, but I will have pretty much a guaranteed job when I finish the 4 year engineering program

This post was edited on 06-10-2005 at 04:20 PM by MeEtc.
[Image: signature/]     [Image: sharing.png]
I cannot hear you. There is a banana in my ear.
06-10-2005 04:18 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
haydos
Veteran Member

dirty dirty house music

– / Male / Flag
As you said it youself. Uni can be important but its not everything. Speaking on the view of an Australian here, many people tend to think too hard about Uni being the most important thing in life. If you dont make the cut off, or you dont want to go, there are other options like TAFE (or another countries equivalent). And if you still have a year left, there is plenty of time to decide. I had no idea what i wanted to do in the future and it was just two days ago that i did a careers test (I think its called Jig-cal or something along those lines). With help from that I have decided that I want to go to Uni and i now know what courses I want to study there.

Also, if you dont really want to go to Uni, you can always take a year or two off and then go to Uni at a later stage if you want to then.

Ultimately, the best thing to do is look at all the options and stay where you will be most happy in the future.
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
don't be lazy
[Image: gayspam.gif]

06-10-2005 04:19 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
You really should do it as a degree is common now and employers see it as a basic for good jobs, my sister got a 1st with honurs which is top grade for her ict degree.

However she has forgoten nearly everything on her degree, and does not even own a computer. She got a great job with great pay and does not use her skills they hired her becuase of her degree :P
06-10-2005 04:47 PM
mwe99
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
Go to your schools advisor and they can recommend ideas and talk through the options with you
06-10-2005 05:00 PM
user27089
Disabled Account

University is a good place to go if you want to go "high-places", if you know what I mean...

I'm not saying you need it, but if you want to majorly expand your knowledge, then university is the place to go, my brother was a very intelligent guy, and he said uni was a completely new experience, with a lot of stuff he hadn't even heard of =p... You'll learn a lot of new stuff.

I am still stuck in this decision, it's a huge choice, do you want to see your mates, do you want to end your education... In the end it's up to you...

I would say no, but it's not me that matters, tis you.

This post was edited on 06-10-2005 at 05:06 PM by user27089.
06-10-2005 05:04 PM
xpirdwingz

I will still reach u, wherever u r

36 / Female / –
O.P. RE: What do you think?
Grrr!! I just wrote this nice paragraph, lol..but I musta hit backspace and the page went back..gahh..
  Anyway, lol, thanks everyone for your input :). I've already been to my connexions adviser and we explored what choices I'm open to. I'm considering either apprenticeship or uni.. Not being able to see my mates is no problem for me, lol, trust me :P.
  Absorbation- that's fair say.. but say, a person with a very good degree is hired..but can't do their job right? It's fine if they have a degree and can work well..but if they can't, whats to show for it? I'll apply for uni anyway, better safe than sorry, right :) Some of us are cut out for uni, some aren't. I'm not sure which one I fall into yet.
   I agree, I could always get back to education at a later time..luckily! I know of some that are in education at 30+.
   [Edit: Oh yeah!! We have something called Kudos here..where we answer a bunch of questions and at the end come up with a suggestion of careers..Btw, is there a Kudos site somewhere or a download? I'll look into it now..]

This post was edited on 06-10-2005 at 06:35 PM by xpirdwingz.
Now I need a new sig... :/
06-10-2005 06:31 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Stigmata
Veteran Member

20 / Other / Flag
Go :D

further your education :)
06-10-2005 06:36 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
My sister does work well in her job but she does not use her degree skills. It's an ict job but becuase of her degree grade they hired her :S

This shows how people look for what's on paper and dont always go for experience. However experience is important so you may start off in a ok job not using your skilles e.g. my sister and use them when she has experience.

She's going for a new job becuase she does not feel like she is using her skills, so go for a degree that your interested in ;)
06-10-2005 06:38 PM
gif83

41 / Male / Flag
from what i have seen and experienced it all depends on what you want to do as a career... different jobs require different qualifications... some require experience more than a degree others need a degree as a minimum requirement..

so what is it you want to do?
06-10-2005 06:40 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: