What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website » modaration for deleted threads

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
modaration for deleted threads
Author: Message:
John Anderton
Elite Member

37 / Male / Flag
RE: modaration for deleted threads
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
I'd like to see the recycle bin thing added here, for normal members when deleting their threads
(Y)
quote:
(maybe posts too?)
8-) (N) or mabbe not :P its ..... neither yes neither no for me :P
quote:
or just disallow them to delete threads?
:| (N)

Well thats just my opinion. Or we could keep it like if u delete a thread with more than 2 replies then it goes to a recycle bin where only a mod (obviously an admin too :P) can see and resurrect it :)
[

KarunAB.com
]

[img]http://gamercards.exophase.com/459422.png[
/img]
06-12-2005 09:09 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Chrono
forum admin

;o

39 / Male / Flag
bleh, if the original poster wants to delete the thread, he has the right to do it. i think it would be a bit unfair if a moderator could put the thread back... because the original poster must have had his reasons to delete it, even if not everyone like these reasons :dodgy:
[Image: wdz_discrate.png]
06-12-2005 09:50 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by -dt-
I'm proposing the idea of if a thread has more than 2 replys then if the user deletest the thread it gets removed but an admin gets the choice of wether to permanate delete it or not to have it deleted.
(y)
quote:
Originally posted by msg_plus_freak
I liike the idea of the reycycle bin because then admins and mods wouldnt be spammed with deleted threads if you see what i mean ;)
mods aren't "spammed" with deleted threads; When someone deletes his own thread, nothing is send to the report system...
quote:
Originally posted by may73alliance
i like the idea. i trhink it would be good if everyone could see the recycle bin. but the link is like you have to type shoutbox.menthix.net/recycle.php to access it so not to have a bin on the main page...
(N) The whole purpose of removing a thread is so nobody can see it anymore.
quote:
Originally posted by sn1p3r
It's actually a pretty cool idea as people who are new to the forums could find previously posted topics in the 'recycle bin' which may help them out with problems, rather then creating new threads.
(n) That will defeat the whole purpose of a forum and how it works. Use the search function if you want to find previous posts.
quote:
or just disallow them to delete threads?
(n) eventhough I understand why it would be dissallowed; but with a moderated recycle system (only accesseble for mods), those problems can be fixed...

This post was edited on 06-12-2005 at 09:53 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-12-2005 09:52 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Millenium_edition
Veteran Member

quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
bleh, if the original poster wants to delete the thread, he has the right to do it. i think it would be a bit unfair if a moderator could put the thread back... because the original poster must have had his reasons to delete it, even if not everyone like these reasons :dodgy:
why not add a reason field, like in the report window, to delete this thread?

so:
  • i have my thread, i want to delete it
  • i give a reason and the thread is not deleted yet, but put on moderator watch
  • a mod judges if that's a fair reason or not and deletes it or not
of course, that's the same thing as disabling deletion of threads and using the report button to request a thread deletion.

This post was edited on 06-12-2005 at 10:57 AM by Millenium_edition.
06-12-2005 10:57 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
The original scheme wouldn't work; I can see this happening;
User deletes thread > Moderator restores it > User deletes it again > Moderator restores it > User deletes it > Moderator bans the user for 24 hours and restores the thread.

Allowing users to delete their threads is a bad idea, always has been. M_E's idea of disabling the ability of users to delete threads, and just reporting it to a member of staff is a good idea.
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
06-12-2005 04:51 PM
L. Coyote

Captain Obvious

38 / Male / Flag
I like the moderated recycle bin idea.

:dodgy: I've been to forums where thread deletion was not allowed and it sucked. I particulary like this one because you're free to delete posts and threads.

Besides, if you post in the wrong forum and realize before any mod can see it, you delete the thread and post it in the correct forum (this has happened many times, I remember).

IMO, users should still be able to delete their threads, but put on a moderated, private forum. BEFORE A MOD CAN MOVE IT BACK, he/she should ask the thread starter WHY he/she removed the thread. If the reason is something dumb and the thread is useful, the mod can move it back.

It doesn't mean all threads will get to be moved back. And the recycle bin should be like T&T, where threads get deleted after a period of time.

Just my .02$

Hack, hack, hack!
Finally became a Systems Analyst! :spam:

06-12-2005 06:36 PM
jren207

JR! - We <3 Fanta

34 / Male / –
It sounds like a good idea, because sometimes good information might be inside a thread and could be useful for others who want that information so that they can be refered to it instead of making endless threads about the same thing.

The author of the thread might not notice this information and delete the thread carelessly whereas if it was in a recycling/temp place, then an admin/mod could sift through it to check for useful information.
06-12-2005 11:46 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
paperless
Veteran Member

Saved by the bell

34 / Male / Flag
I dont agree with this, it will cause the admins to get overworked for no reason...

If one user created it, he has the right to do it no matter if others posted in it. Not lettng the user delete it is in a 0-10 scale privacy invasion, 2, IMO :P.
06-12-2005 11:47 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by jren207
The author of the thread might not notice this information and delete the thread carelessly whereas if it was in a recycling/temp place, then an admin/mod could sift through it to check for useful information.
indeed. I have come across such cases in the past and it is very regretfully that such threads couldn't be revived; whole posts of very usefully info were getting lost that way. I don't say it happens often, but it does happen...

quote:
Originally posted by paperless
I dont agree with this, it will cause the admins to get overworked for no reason...
Threads aren't deleted that often by users...

quote:
Originally posted by paperless
If one user created it, he has the right to do it no matter if others posted in it. Not lettng the user delete it is in a 0-10 scale privacy invasion, 2, IMO
Dunno what you exactly mean by that, but there is no privacy invasion at all in any case... If the user isn't permitted to delete a post or a thread, or threads can be revived for good reasons then it is all to do with how the forum works, and thus with forum rules and users agreeing upon it. Not liking, not visiting or posting... easy...

This post was edited on 06-13-2005 at 12:02 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-12-2005 11:59 PM
shine
Veteran Member

Recharging......

49 / Male / –
This Idea was rejected a long ago by WDZ.. although majority of us was in favour or this, ultimately it was the posters 'choice' that pervailed. If you think about it thats right too...

* shine remembers it was Karma's :devil: post :D

Also in most cases, the thread would lose its significance even if we retain the replies without the original post. 

I guess its a tough job to write a patch for it... :undecided:

This post was edited on 06-13-2005 at 12:30 AM by shine.
06-13-2005 12:27 AM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: