What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » What is Music?

Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 » Last »
What is Music?
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: What is Music?
quote:
Originally posted by gif83
don't get me wrong, i actually like this definition. But your choice for using non-subjective adjectives is a little puzzling since this definition of yours is subjective anyway (your personal opinion).
that can be said of all the definitions in this thread... And a definition is meant to be something non-subjective, otherwise it wouldn't be a definition but an opinion. And the original purpose of this thread is to try to give a definition, not an opinion. Otherwise I would have said that in my opinion, music is stuff like the band Gjallerhorn makes and all the rest is stupid garbage.

quote:
btw definitions become a bit confusing when you require to define the words used to define it (for example the use of your definition of "sounds")
I explicitly didn't use the word "sound" because of that. I used "things you can hear"...
quote:
* I didn't use the word "sounds" as this might imply certain things related to music. "Music" can consist of anything you hear.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
As I said in my previous post: I edited the post right after I wrote it, before I read your reply... And creators have opinions of their own too. even by adding "creator" alone, it makes it subjective already...
well i WAS trying to make the point that it was subjective :s
good because it was meant that way from the beginning :P

quote:
quote:
This is by no means a definition of painfull, although it can be used as an example of what it is... And if your sentence was a definition in itself, then it's wrong, cause music isn't always pleasurable...
once again you have picked dodgy examples. you assume that pain is only physical. pain can be defined as the grievance in this case..
I didn't assume anything as it is of no relevance for the purpose of the example...

quote:
and that example you gave is in fact far more similar to mine.
errrr.... yes I know, that's the point. That's because I gave it so you would be less confussed (I hoped)...

quote:
the bell IS the thing that inflicts the pain upon the pupil.
yes so? That isn't what I meant. Compare both definitions (yours and mine) and reread the post. My point is those metaphores are by no means definitions. The subject of the "would-be" definition isn't the bell, but it is the "pain", or in your case "music". And pain is not equal to the sound of a bell; as well as music isn't equal to the sound of a bell. Remember we try to define "music", not "a bell".

quote:
you say it is wrong but yet you just agreed before that definitions could be subjective.
I said it is wrong to say that those metaphores could be seen as definitions. It is that I replied upon. I didn't speak of the subjective meaning of metaphores at all. That's a totally other matter (which is actually very clear that it is a subjective matter by reading my definition; even without the "by creator or beholder" part as the word "coherent" implies subjectiveness already)

quote:
the most useful words are words that cannot really be described with other words.
nice, I'll remember that quote...

quote:
Originally posted by Purity
Fact: Music speeds up brain waves.(H)  Apparently it's very healthy to listen to music. or something that has rythm.....
errm... no, not at all a fact, because it is wrong ;) If you would've said "it could be healthy" I wouldn't have replied to it though, because that would be correct...

Listening to certain music can make you very ill (in any definition of "ill"). And even applying certain music types (healing music) in a wrong way to a person can conflict great emotional and even physical(!) stress and pain.

-----

[OFF TOPIC]
quote:
Originally posted by Purity
quote:
Originally posted by Veggie
Me and my mates came a across a difficult question when discussing this the other day, would you rather be deaf or blind.
I would definitly be blind, I don't care if I would never be able to see a good looking girl or anythign like that, but thats just how much  music is to me, it's everything to me.
The choice for me is easy though. I would like to be able to keep seeing. Eyes are much more important then ears. If you're deaf you can still feel sounds but also see sounds. Who's thinking only about beautifull girls (and music) in a choice like this? If that is all a human being would see then yes, I don't need to see beautifull girls all the time. Think about what you'll be missing when your blind and what everyday things you aren't able to do anymore. On the other hand, when your ""only"" deaf, you wouldn't miss out on so many things in life.
(mind the quotes and also read that sentence with some common sense; as this isn't meant as degrading/minimizing the fact; it still is something very severe)

Almost everything can be made clear and possible in a visible way. But not many things can be converted to sound in the same manner.

IMHO

PS: I'm not trying to convice you though, I'm just saying what I think of the two possible choices...
[/OFF TOPIC]
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-22-2005 02:50 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
user27089
Disabled Account

O.P. RE: What is Music?
The one who was ranting about the music they like:

I think you have deeply misunderstood the question that I asked, I didn't ask what music you liked, I asked what music is to you, as in, what do you feel that music is.

Is it just sound, or does it have to have a rhythm etc?
06-22-2005 03:10 PM
toddiot

know the name.

32 / Male / –
RE: What is Music?
quote:
Originally posted by -Bogan-
I could not live without music but there will always be music so I have nothing to worry about.

I couldn't live without music either, but ever since people started illegal downloading, all the music companies are saying that if this continues, there may not be enough money to make new artists [?]
[Image: toddiot.png]
Send me a message
06-22-2005 09:37 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
user27089
Disabled Account

I think that's a load of balls to be honest. Music isn't all about money, it's about entertaining and enjoying what you like to do.
06-22-2005 10:07 PM
DJeX
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
I think all music should be free. We were given this great talent and skill to express feelings and stories that make us feel things without even experiencing them in person.

Music should be shared with everyone. I think man has taken over music and made it a dirty money pit. As much as I would love to get money for the music I make I'd rather have someone enjoy it for free than having them pay and not enjoying it.
[Image: top.gif]
06-22-2005 10:16 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
multimillion2k

– / Male / –
quote:
... And a definition is meant to be something non-subjective, otherwise it wouldn't be a definition but an opinion. And the original purpose of this thread is to try to give a definition, not an opinion.

Perhaps! But how about defining a word like sexy? I'm sure everyone here would like to give a definition of this. And I could argue that sexiness can be seen as music too, but that's a whole other topic.

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
Is it just sound, or does it have to have a rhythm etc?

Can we even include sound? I used to fall asleep composing whole symphonies in my head. I'm a geek. But more importantly, I wasn't physically hearing anything - so does that rule it out as being music? I mean, people *hear* voices in their head. What's the difference?

And I agree, music shouldn't be about money. There are those for whom music is only a means of making money, and there are true musicians who would play regardless of the money. But we all need to earn a crust somehow :)
06-22-2005 10:49 PM
Purity
Veteran Member

AngelFuck

34 / Female / –
quote:
Originally posted by DJeX
I think all music should be free. We were given this great talent and skill to express feelings and stories that make us feel things without even experiencing them in person.

Music should be shared with everyone. I think man has taken over music and made it a dirty money pit. As much as I would love to get money for the music I make I'd rather have someone enjoy it for free than having them pay and not enjoying it.
Yes would be good if it was free on our part, but that's all the artists really do, they don't have time for a job, to make money for a house, and pay bills.
[Image: puritysig8.jpg/]
www.purity.toastednet.org
06-23-2005 05:12 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
user27089
Disabled Account

quote:
Originally posted by multimillion2k
Can we even include sound?

Include anything you wish, just don't put what bands/genres there are. ;).
06-23-2005 07:03 AM
gif83

41 / Male / Flag
i guess we've all had quite a bit of fun defining something that is undefineable. :D
06-23-2005 09:54 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
saralk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by DJeX

i too agree with that, but some people want to make music their life, and in a world like the world we live in, if you want to live, you need money.
The Artist Formerly Known As saralk
London · New York · Paris
Est. 1989
06-23-2005 01:40 PM
Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: