What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Why does this addon make my Messenger slower?

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Poll: Do you ever had this problem with messenger Plus?
Oh yes, It always happens, but I don't care of this.
Hm....I don't think, but I heard about people having the same problem.
No, never.
[Show Results | Edit Poll]
Why does this addon make my Messenger slower?
Author: Message:
trini

– / Female / Flag
RE: Why does this addon make my Messenger slower?
All emoticons/displaypictures are stored in C:\Documents and Settings\[User]\Application Data\Microsoft\MSN Messenger so you will not lose them when you remove/reinstall messenger. And your contacts are stored on msn server.
06-27-2005 11:29 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Dollarius
Now I noticed that if I uninstall messenger plus, messenger starts in the same way. If I open it when it is connected, the main page remain white for 2 minutes......after that, It unbloks......
Then it has nothing to do with Messenger Plus!. MsgPlus! doesn't change a thing in the MSN Messenger settings, it doesn't touch anything at all. If you have the same problems, even afetr uninstalling Messenger Plus!, then it is not a Messenger Plus! issue (unlike some other addons for msn messenger, which do alter stuff of msn messenger permanently).
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-27-2005 12:18 PM
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
This may seem odd but check your firewall settings becuase i blocked it once and it took forever to load :S it's worth a try have you reinstalled msn messenger not just messenger plus?

It's worth a try but i think cookie is on the right lines :P

Just check your ifrewall setting ebcuase it happened to me ;)
06-27-2005 02:59 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Indeed...

It could be a too strict rule in your firewall settings which is a leftover of previous msn messenger versions. The current version uses some more/other connections and these need to be allowed too in your firewall. (note: check _all_ your firewalls you might have, this includes the windows xp firewall and any other software firewall like the ones from Norton Internet Security stuff). So...
1) close MSN Messenger completely
2) delete the rule(s) you have in your firewall(s)
3) restart MSN Messenger
4) and when the firewall pops up again and asks you if it can permit msn messenger to make connections, confirm it...

-------------

Another cause can be that there is something screwed up in the directory setting of your recieved files for MSN Messenger (by default this is "my documents\My Received Files") or the directory of you msn messenger logs. Check them both to were you've set them in the msn messenger settings. Then, rename those directories or delete them all together en restart MSN Messenger...

-------------

Or, but this is only a remote chance, the MSN server which you are using has some serious trouble with your account (it's possible, happened before). The reset this, you need to go to your registry (Start > Run > regedit ) to the key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger. There you'll find a key value named Server. Double click it and clear the contents. After this try to restart MSN Messenger again.

-------------

It could also be a cache problem of the saved display pictures from your contacts. To reset those, clear your Microsoft Internet Explorer's cache.

-------------

Or it could be a cache problem of your smileys, DP's, winks, and other local stuff. To reset those (read: clear those) you need to delete the application data directory of MSN Messenger. This directory can be found in your documents and settings directory under your windows login: useually something like C:\Documents and Settings\yourwindowsaccount\Application Data\Microsoft\MSN Messenger\
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-27-2005 04:05 PM
Rik

31 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Or it could be a cache problem of your smileys, DP's, winks, and other local stuff. To reset those (read: clear those) you need to delete the application data directory of MSN Messenger. This directory can be found in your documents and settings directory under your windows login: useually something like C:\Documents and Settings\yourwindowsaccount\Application Data\Microsoft\MSN Messenger\
:| thanks Cookie!!!!
i was sick of this problem!!!
to many smiles:p
06-27-2005 05:52 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Zephyr

monster.rat

34 / Male / Flag
I would also recommend trying http://www.msnfanatic.com/articles/list-cache-deleter-265.html

It cleans your list cache, so might stop the problem.
[Image: rhcpsig38tj.png]
06-27-2005 06:23 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Dollarius

O.P. RE: Why does this addon make my Messenger slower?
OOOOOOOOOOH! Finally! I've get known the problem! :D
My problem was the same of Absorbation! My firewall slows down the connections between my messenger and the server....
In fact if I disable it, My messenger works very good! (H)
I thought that the problem was messenger plus cause before installing it, my messenger said me that there was an update for it, so I downloaded and istalled it. After I've installed Messenger Plus.
So, now I have another problem....:-#The firewall I use is the mcafee firewall 2005, and it asks me, every time a new program want a connection to the internet, if I want to allow it the full access, or deny it. I tried doing the advice of CookieRevised: I closed messenger, removed from Mcafee firewall the rule that admit it going on the net, and then restarted messenger. I don't know why, but with this program mcafee doesn't ask me if I want to allow it full access, but give it itself. And after that the situation doesn't change.
So now I don't know what to do. Should I free a specific port on my firewall, give it some specially settings....I don't know what to do!
Please help me another time :$
06-28-2005 07:45 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: