What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » iPod Trouble

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
iPod Trouble
Author: Message:
MC Inferno
Veteran Member

www.mcinferno.co.uk

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. iPod Trouble
Right heres the deal, i put my iPod in my computer and comes up wit iTunes, sound (not mirrored, so i have no trax on my comp and all of em on my iPod, any trax i do have, goes on the iPod, and then get deleted.) (Y) so i recently reset the lot so im building it up and i add around 60 songs at a time, and over the USB wire.

it only added around 40 of the songs, so i tried it again. appuntly it worked the 2nd time so i press eject on iTunes for the iPod but wen it went off the screen it still had the message do not dissconnect on the iPod. so i went to saftly disconnect hardware. same problem there. comp didnt read it, but the iPod was still frozen. so i dissconnect it by wire and reset it.

no music was there :| so i put it back in the com and open it up in iTunes to start again afta shouting fuck a few times. but heres the really weird bit, all them songs wer back on the iPod wen i plugged it in (except for those 20 i cant add :S) so i discconect it again (and have to go through the whole safley remove hardware and that) but wwen i reset it this time the music was back on the iPod, ready to be played.

This has happened about 3 times now with trying to add those 20 songs. The iPod is a 20GB, black and white with scroll wheel and has the latest software on the iPod and the newest iTunes.

sorry to sound dumb.... but WTF? :S

EDIT: Ive just found out those 40 trax dont play propley on my iPod too, but they work sound on my comp :S as do others now that i ws listening to today

This post was edited on 07-19-2005 at 05:00 PM by MC Inferno.
07-19-2005 04:54 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Dr4g0n

33 / Male / Flag
RE: iPod Trouble
Try using iPod updater to completely reset the iPod, then reinstall iTunes and try again.
07-19-2005 05:11 PM
MC Inferno
Veteran Member

www.mcinferno.co.uk

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: iPod Trouble
i did that yesterday, as a simular problem was happenin. im really am stumped.
07-19-2005 05:13 PM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
Thanks lizard.boy for pointing this out. I was busy programming the iPod Software (New GUI is coming...)

Anyways back to the actual problem(s) your having. When the iPod doesn't properly unmount through iTunes after an update it is because of a feature called Enable Disk Use.

If you go to Edit > Preferences > iPod > General > Uncheck "Enable Disk Use" this will allow unmounting of the iPod after an automatic update.

Disk Use Fact: Disk Use is ment to allow dragging and dropping of songs from Windows Explorer to the iPod directly without those songs actually being imported to iTunes. Example if you have an MP3 cd you can drag the contents of CD to the iPod in your source list and have it update the songs for you. This option is default to On and cannot be changed in Manual Update but can be changed in Automatic Update.

Disk Use Fiction: Although many people think that the "Enable Disk Use" feature enables "Disk Mode" on your iPod they are infact two totally different features. Disk Mode enables the use of the iPods HDD as a removable mass storage device while Disk Use is used for updating music through Windows Explorer.

Now I read that you transfered songs to your iPod but they do not play correctly if this is correct its probably leading up to your hard drive failing on your iPod. I am going to suggest a few things.

Put your iPod into Disk Mode
code:
--> Disconnect the iPod from the Computer
--> Press and Hold the Menu and Select buttons with only the slightest of pressure (too much can cancel out the keys)
--> When the Apple Logo appears (Or when the screen turns blank) Press and hold the Play/Pause and Select buttons

--> Your iPod should display a screen with a Check Mark saying Ok To Disconnect

Please note that the next step involves removing the Control Folder of the iPod where vital data is stored. By doing so everything on the iPod is indefinitly erased. Please make sure to have a backup copy of your songs and notes/calendars/contacts etc.

As well this requires the use of your AC Adapter (Power charger) Please make sure you have it before continueing.

Now connect your iPod to your computer.
Open My Computer
You should have your iPod listed as a Removable Device under Devices with Removable Storage.
Double click on the drive displaying its contents.
Depending on your system you may see 3 folders or 4 folders. If you do not see a 4th folder called iPod_Control proceed to the steps in blue else skip them.
Click Tools > Folder Options > View Tab > Select Show Hidden files and folders > Click OK
Right click on the iPod_Control Folder and select Delete

Now exit out of the contents of the drive and click on Start > (All) Programs > iPod > iPod Updater 2005-06-26 > iPod Updater 2005-06-26

When prompted choose the restore option.

When your iPod displays:
[Image: 93936_7.jpg]

Disconnect your iPod and connect it to your power adapter and restart your computer

After selecting the language on your iPod and your computer has reboot, connect your iPod and open iTunes.

You will recieve a Window that says "Setup your iPod" or "iPod Setup Assistant" or "iPod Setup Wizard" (depending on the version of iTunes. Enter in your name of your iPod but make sure to uncheck Automatically update music (This will allow us to test much more, it also enables Manual update which gives you more control of your iPod). Select goto Library instead of Music Store.

Ok now that the iPod is backup in iTunes click on the Library on the left hand side of the iTunes Source List. Now you want to press CTRL+A this will select all the songs in your iTunes Music Library. What you want to do from this point is "drag and drop" your songs from the Library onto your iPod listed in the source list (ex MC Inferno's iPod). Let all the music update on the iPod once it is complete, Right click the iPod and click Eject.

Check to make sure the music is on the iPod and that it plays. If the 20 songs that were not transfering before have still not transfered make sure they are playable in iTunes and if they are make sure they are not purchased from the iTunes music store. If they are click on Advanced > Deauthorize computer > Deauthorize from Music Store > Enter in your username/password for the music store and click ok. Next find a song that was purchased and double click it, you will be prompted to enter the username/password again and the music should start playing and should transfer to your iPod.

Post back if anymore problems.
07-19-2005 05:50 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
MC Inferno
Veteran Member

www.mcinferno.co.uk

35 / Male / Flag
THANX SO MUCH! but thers another problem... weird this one, the "enable disk use" bit is ticked, but sort of in grey so i cnt click if u know wat i mean. i havent tried anythi else uve told me, coz i dunno if i need to untick this first, but thanx (Y)

any1 tell me how i can untick this?
07-20-2005 03:37 PM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
Screenshot is from iTunes v4.6 but you will still get the idea.

[Image: attachment.php?pid=499416]

If you have manually manage songs and playlists selected then enable disk use is checked and disabled because it is needed for dragging and dropping to the iPod.

If you are using manual update then that is the reason the iPod is not unmounting after you have updated music because you need to right click the iPod and select Eject. If you do that and the iPod stays at do not disconnect but is not detected anywhere on your computer simply reset it by holding down the Menu and Select buttons together.

.png File Attachment: iPodPreferences.png (36.36 KB)
This file has been downloaded 1587 time(s).
07-20-2005 04:02 PM
MC Inferno
Veteran Member

www.mcinferno.co.uk

35 / Male / Flag
ive tried deleteing iPod_contol but instead it says F25 cant be deleted coz it has files in it :S
07-20-2005 04:56 PM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
Go into iPod_Control\Music\F25 and delete all the files and try deleting iPod_Control again.
07-20-2005 04:59 PM
MC Inferno
Veteran Member

www.mcinferno.co.uk

35 / Male / Flag
wen i delete it, the song comes back

edit: the file is corruped and is 0KB and doesnt play now, but orignally a song if this helps :S

This post was edited on 07-20-2005 at 05:09 PM by MC Inferno.
07-20-2005 05:01 PM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
Ok thats fine. Delete the rest of the folders F26 - F49 reboot the computer and try and delete F25. All else fails you can format the iPod by right clicking in my computer and selecting Format. It will only work if its a 30gb or less.
07-20-2005 05:14 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: