What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » XP Loading time

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
XP Loading time
Author: Message:
Fourjays

Jaguar E-Type

36 / Male / –
RE: XP Loading time
1200 fonts is alot. I do alot of design work myself, but I regularly remove fonts that I am not using on a regular basis (and there are always some - it is impossible to be regularly using thousands of fonts).

Something you could do is...

Make a document (in word or w/e) with each font spelling out its name (kinda like some graphic/publishing programs do). Print it off (this will use alot of paper mind you), and keep it somewhere safe. Then move all of your fonts to a folder in "MyDocuments" or something. Except the ones you can say are "absolute musts" (I use nasalisation and Segoe UI loads at the moment, so I would keep them if it was me doing this). Then whenever you need a font, look through your printed sheet for one(s) you think might look good, and install them back into your font folder. :)

Just an idea. May or may not be very practical, but it would solve the speed problem. Hope it helps. :D
[Image: msgsig7yx.jpg]
A new range of internet based services... Coming Soon(ish)! - www.fortheinter.net
08-09-2005 02:40 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Concord Dawn
Veteran Member

This is a loopy fruit.

33 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Fourjays
A lot of things cause slow XP loading times.

Memory is the main one... remember that XP uses alot, and for optimal operating speed of it, you should have 512Mb (my friend has 256Mb, and it takes about 10mins to load, as well as it being slow elsewhere). XP eats memory for its brekafast. :p

Having loads of fonts installed can make it slow on boot-up too.

Also I have heard people say that keeping the HDD defragged helps it go faster, but then an equal number of people say defragging makes no difference to the computers performance. :S

Defragging does help your computer's speed because it lets the read/write heads on the harddrive find and get data faster by shuffling everything so that all of your files are contiguous(all of the file is in one place, not spread out over your harddrive). Remember that one of the biggest bottlenecks in a computer is the speed of the harddrive, since they are mechanical. So if it takes a long time to find something on your harddrive, then it's adding insult to injury. You should defrag once a month if you don't use your harddrive heavily (eg. Little to no P2P, BitTorrent, etc.) and more often if you do.
[Image: 7.png]
08-09-2005 02:46 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Rubber Stamp

It Was Never Random

34 / Male / –
whenever i format my comp...it starts in about 3-5 bars...but slowly the speed decreses...so it has to be with the start up items...try removing those u dont need at the start or can easily open after the comp loads
08-09-2005 03:37 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
zaher1988

Inseperable

36 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: XP Loading time
Well hey thx for all the replies, i do defrage always and  i dont have many things on startup, so it may be because of fonts, i will try to remove them and then try
08-09-2005 05:09 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
EvilSeph
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
Well I was bored and so decided to reboot my system for fun. Did it a couple times and my pc hardly even shows the boot screen. I then decided to try BootVis but I couldn't be bothered to reboot after that so I'm not sure if it sped up my bootup/shutdown :).

Still, all in all, rebooting my system provides me with some entertainment. Yes, I did it for no reason at all. I'm truly that bored.

Think I'll go play a game now, everyone on IRC is boring today for some reason. Speaking of IRC, come join us by clicking "irc" in the top forum menu (top right of the site/page/forums).

Edit: BootVis might have sped up myshutdown/boot up, not too sure. Could be all in my head really.

Reduce the amount of items you have that startup on boot, defragment your hard drives, run a disk check and only install fonts that you use.

All common sense really :).

This post was edited on 08-09-2005 at 05:17 PM by EvilSeph.
08-09-2005 05:15 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by EvilSeph
Well I was bored and so decided to reboot my system for fun. Did it a couple times and my pc hardly even shows the boot screen. I then decided to try BootVis but I couldn't be bothered to reboot after that so I'm not sure if it sped up my bootup/shutdown :).

Still, all in all, rebooting my system provides me with some entertainment. Yes, I did it for no reason at all. I'm truly that bored.

Think I'll go play a game now, everyone on IRC is boring today for some reason. Speaking of IRC, come join us by clicking "irc" in the top forum menu (top right of the site/page/forums).

Edit: BootVis might have sped up myshutdown/boot up, not too sure. Could be all in my head really.

Reduce the amount of items you have that startup on boot, defragment your hard drives, run a disk check and only install fonts that you use.

All common sense really :).

Sigh :(

About Bootvis.exe
Bootvis.exe is a performance tracing and visualization tool that Microsoft designed to help PC system designers and software developers identify performance issues for boot/resume timing while developing new PC products or supporting software. Please note that Bootvis.exe is not a tool that will improve boot/resume performance for end users. Contrary to some published reports, Bootvis.exe cannot reduce or alter a system's boot or resume performance. The boot optimization routines invoked by Bootvis.exe are built into Windows XP. These routines run automatically at pre-determined times as part of the normal operation of the operating system. If you are an end-user seeking to resolve issues for boot/resume performance on your PC, we recommend that you contact the vendor from whom you purchased the PC. For information from Microsoft on specific issues, you can search Knowledge Base for Windows XP product issues related to "resume time." Knowledge Base is a free information service available at: http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

This post was edited on 08-09-2005 at 05:24 PM by ShawnZ.
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.