What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » MS AntiSpyware Now Blocks Messenger Plus!

Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 » Last »
MS AntiSpyware Now Blocks Messenger Plus!
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: MS AntiSpyware Now Blocks Messenger Plus!
quote:
Originally posted by lawdka0z
Must I make this point again,

IF Microsoft dont tag the whole msgplus package as unsafe, then you could just find a new adware provider and evade the bad rating!
read the other thread where you posted exactly the same....

What you say doesn't make any sense at all!!!The job of an anti-adware/spyware program is EXACTLY to decect the adware/spyware, NOT the program which supposedly contains it.

Even as it is now, Patchou could add another sponsor! And if what you say is true, then MSAS would still not detect the new sponsor at all as it simply does NOT detect the spyware/adware ITSELF.

Its job is to decect the spyware/adware, NOT to mark random programs and files which don't have anything to do with spyware/adware.

Virusscanners DO work like they should work, they decect the malicous peice of code itself, they do NOT decect the program which is infected. MSAS should work the same (just as any other anti-adware/spyware program)
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
08-15-2005 11:01 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
lawdka0z

RE: RE: MS AntiSpyware Now Blocks Messenger Plus!
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

which don't have anything to do with spyware/adware.

you really are an idiot, how does the adware get on the computer? THROUGH MESSENGER PLUS.

quote:

Virusscanners DO work like they should work, they decect the malicous peice of code itself, they do NOT decect the program which is infected. MSAS should work the same (just as any other anti-adware/spyware program)

Ive seen Hacking programs intended for educational purposes added to virus scanner definition lists, does that mean the program contained a virus? NO, If your going to make a point then atleast make a decent one.
[Image: bla.gif]
08-15-2005 11:09 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: MS AntiSpyware Now Blocks Messenger Plus!
quote:
quote:
which don't have anything to do with spyware/adware.
you really are an idiot, how does the adware get on the computer? THROUGH MESSENGER PLUS.
I'm not the idiot here who needs to flame other people in a discussion, sir...

quote:
quote:
Ive seen Hacking programs intended for educational purposes added to virus scanner definition lists, does that mean the program contained a virus? NO, If your going to make a point then atleast make a decent one.
They are added because they are BACKDOOR programs and can be used for malicious practices. Plus! isn't a hacking program at all or malicious program for that matter...

If you want to discuss something, STICK TO FACTS without twisting things around and KEEP IT IN 1 THREAD...

This post was edited on 08-15-2005 at 12:29 PM by CookieRevised.
08-15-2005 12:27 PM
SpikedEffect

40 / Male / –
Roll Eyes  RE: MS AntiSpyware Now Blocks Messenger Plus!
I thought I would add my two cents here, or 2p for us British people here LOL

I can half understand Microsoft's reasons for stating Msgplus! as adware, because even though the sponsor is Optional the fact is you do get users of Mickey Soft Windows, who do not read instructions in setup wizards nor understand what they are doing.

Unfortunatly microsoft try to cater for the not so competent computer users and supply warnings to them to tell them what they are doing, which just irritates and aggrevates users who are more competent with computers.

Say for example Microsoft didn't put the warning there, they are likely to get some moron calling them saying, "I got some toolbar in internet explorer, it's all your fault for not warning me about it" just because they dun know what they are doing.

Trust me, I'm not pro Mickey Soft and I'm not anti Mickey soft, but I am just trying to keep an open mind on the issue...

Anyway that's my two cents (or my 2p)
There Is No Effect Like The "Spiked" Effect!
08-15-2005 01:09 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
dawgie

quote:
Unfortunatly microsoft try to cater for the not so competent computer users and supply warnings to them to tell them what they are doing, which just irritates and aggrevates users who are more competent with computers.
Well unfortunately many msgplus users are not so competent and costing their mummys and daddys money to remove 'after effects'. No insult intended about the 'unfortunate' statement i made, but im just saying a lot of users below 18 do you use it more than others
08-15-2005 01:41 PM
psyko

msnfanatic.com Evil-Admin

– / Male / –
You all claim that MsgPlus! isn't "Spyware" and it's "Adware" but that's the whole purpose of MSAS - to remove BOTH!  So, if you don't want to get bothered, click Ignore and get over it.
[Image: sig2.gif]
Offline Messenger for MSN: (Under release testing!)
08-15-2005 01:43 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
BigBean

42 / Male / –
Ranting
some peoples ignorace is truely amazing, this is an endless debate (flamewar might be a better term...), and yet after all this time, the simple message hasn't gotten through: Messenger Plus! can install adware. All this forum seems to talk about is "its optional u fukface!!1". Optional or not, it still comes with it, it can still install it, and people do install it. How does no one see that?

Adware, spyware, malware, sponsorware, crapware... whatever you want to call it, is a problem.

regardless of MsgPlus also being a religion, Patchou being your God, whatever ridiculous thing you've come up with today, it doesn't change the fact Messenger Plus! has the possibility to install it. You cannot expect 12 your noob to read 10 pages of jargon and make an imformed decision.

arguing that it is optional is paddling upstream and only makes you look more stupid. its a good thing Messenger Plus! is as good as it is, it makes up for the damage the sponsor can do to its reputation. You need to look outside this community, and see what's going on the real world.

MSAS is only doing it's job, what it was previously doing obviously wasn't helping as much as they want it to, so they've stepped up the mark. Actions have consequences. this must be the end of Patchou's cash run, perhaps he needs to realise that.

This post was edited on 08-15-2005 at 02:11 PM by BigBean.
08-15-2005 02:08 PM
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by BigBean
some peoples ignorace is truely amazing, this is an endless debate (flamewar might be a better term...), and yet after all this time, the simple message hasn't gotten through: Messenger Plus! can install adware. All this forum seems to talk about is "its optional u fukface!!1". Optional or not, it still comes with it, it can still install it, and people do install it. How does no one see that?

Adware, spyware, malware, sponsorware, crapware... whatever you want to call it, is a problem.

regardless of MsgPlus also being a religion, Patchou being your God, whatever ridiculous thing you've come up with today, it doesn't change the fact Messenger Plus! has the possibility to install it. You cannot expect 12 your noob to read 10 pages of jargon and make an imformed decision.

arguing that it is optional is paddling upstream and only makes you look more stupid. its a good thing Messenger Plus! is as good as it is, it makes up for the damage the sponsor can do to its reputation. You need to look outside this community, and see what's going on the real world.

are you from ms anti spyware? :P you do make a good point but at the end of the day it is a false dectention you should say it's adware and optional :P
08-15-2005 02:10 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
you are missing the point of these recent discussions...

We KNOW Messenger Plus!'s installer ITSELF COULD install adware IF the user chooses to do so... But this is besides the current point, as that would be correct to detect...

The point of these recent descussions is that MSAS has gone one step further and detecting something which IS NOT there. Aka: it detects Plus! itself (msgplus.exe and the DLL's) as containing potential adware, while it never contained any adware at all. Even when you've choosen not to install the sponsor, MSAS will still give the warning.

The point is that MSAS shouldn't detect msgplus.exe, MsgPlusH.dll, MsgPlusRes.dll, etc... as malicious, but it should detect the INSTALLER as an adware containing product. If it did that, then we wouldn't had any issue with it...

quote:
regardless of MsgPlus also being a religion, Patchou being your God
Messenger Plus! is far from a religion and Patchou is far from a God. If you think this way about us, then it is not us who are biased...

quote:
You cannot expect 12 your noob to read 10 pages of jargon and make an imformed decision.
The 12 year old noob does NOT need to read 10 pages of jargon at all! It simply needs to read 1 sentence, or look at 1 image, or look at 1 heading in the installer to know what he/she is installing...

Don't twist around facts please...

quote:
You need to look outside this community, and see what's going on the real world.
I can assure you that many of the top-helpers and most repected people of this community have a very good knowledge and sense about what's going on in the "real" world as well as in the PC world.

This post was edited on 08-15-2005 at 03:05 PM by CookieRevised.
08-15-2005 02:14 PM
BigBean

42 / Male / –
RE: RE: MS AntiSpyware Now Blocks Messenger Plus!
quote:
Originally posted by Absorbation
are you from ms anti spyware? :P you do make a good point but at the end of the day it is a false dectention you should say it's adware and optional :P

no, I'm just pissed off with the amount of adware in this industry, and the "victims" don't know any better. saying it's adware and is optional doesn't get rid of it. that's what MSAS is supposed to do. it can still be installed.
08-15-2005 02:15 PM
Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 5 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: