What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Pointless Block Check

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Pointless Block Check
Author: Message:
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
RE: Pointless Block Check
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
My opinion: IF they would work, they can be usefull
I can't really think how, if someone has blocked me, I don't care or want to talk to them. Very few people who I want to talk to block me anyway.
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
08-15-2005 04:44 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Pointless Block Check
quote:
Originally posted by Mentality
Like Cookie Said they don't work 100% we all know that, but what i was getting at is that they are just pointless, if you havnt been told your blocked they don't want you to know, any lamebrainer knows that, but you got sad people who have to make up silly little worthless programs because they are so desperate to be liked. I agree they can be usefull (IF they worked) but they could be seriously neglected at the same time. therefore i think they are a waste of time, which they are anyways coz they don't work 100%
Well, it's no so much for being misused or used by desperate people. It would be handy to know when you're blocked (in case the user didn't tell you), if so, you could get in touch by email to ask why you were blocked or something and how to improve the situation.

On the other hand, it can indeed be abused (the blocked contact starting to send spam mail instead of a reasonable request for explaination for example). I believe that's also the issue you meant with block checkers being abused? If so, I agree with that now. But as with everything, there is nothing you can do about it other than live with it I suppose.

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
quote:
My opinion: IF they would work, they can be usefull
I can't really think how, if someone has blocked me, I don't care or want to talk to them. Very few people who I want to talk to block me anyway.

Blocking isn't always done because somebody wants to get rid of someone or is annoyed by someone

For example: I once came into a situation were some contact has blocked some groups (because he only wanted to be contacted by a certain group at that time) and forgot about it. Thing was, I needed to contact him with something important and thought he was away on holiday or something. And I had troubles sending email it wasn't a good option either. Knowing he had blocked me (or rather the group of which I was a member), I could've solved the situation I needed to discuss with him a lot quicker (as I first waited a couple of days for him to come online prior to sending email which he seldom reads unless you inform him on MSN about it).

This post was edited on 08-15-2005 at 04:50 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
08-15-2005 04:44 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Mentality

The Best Representation OF me IS ME!

38 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Pointless Block Check
quote:
On the other hand, it can indeed be abused (the blocked contact starting to send spam mail instead of a reasonable request for explaination for example). I believe that's also the issue you meant with block checkers being abused? If so, I agree with that now. But as with everything, there is nothing you can do about it other than live with it I suppose.

Thats exactly what I meant Cookie. I just think some people can be very deseprate in that way at tmes.
08-15-2005 04:47 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Garndell

Welcome to Elvie's World!!!

40 / Male / –
RE: RE: Pointless Block Check
quote:
Originally posted by Supersonicdarky
no block checker is 100% correct (more like 50%, so you might as well guess), so i don't think you can stalk people like that. but true, if they were always correct, that could lead to something

Microsoft actually have a method of finding out who's blocked them (only those with access) by accessing the servers.  I'm not saying they do do it, just that they have the option open to them.

I've probably been blocked 20-30 times but it doesn't bother me, I just block them back, lol.
[Image: c2-garndell.jpg]
08-15-2005 06:34 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: