What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Announcements » Announcements & News » Archive » Petition to save Messenger Plus!

Pages: (29): « First « 1 2 3 4 [ 5 ] 6 7 8 9 » Last »
Petition to save Messenger Plus!
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Petition to save Messenger Plus!
quote:
Originally posted by dawgie
its still a large part of why he seems its wrong also. its not lieing, just the author seems to be in some mind bending denial. if he wants it to go, revenue methods should change from potentially harmful methods that Microsoft Antispyware will pick up
Nobody is in a mind bending denial, if you read the petition it is very clear what the real issue is. Patchou doesn't have any problem with anti-adware/spyware programs listing the installer as a potenial threat at all...

As Tochjo has said (and others as well in those other dicussions lately):

the issue is NOT if Plus! has a sponsor or not,
the issue is NOT if the installer of Plus! warns the user enough,
the issue is NOT if the sponsor is optional or not,
the issue is NOT if the sponsor is spyware, adware, whatever-ware,
the issue is NOT if the sponsor is a moderate threat,
etc...

The issue is about MSAS detecting a sponsor and/or mailicious software when it is NOT there.

As you said so yourself: "Their policy states 'the policy of Microsoft Anti-Spyware is to flag all installers which bundle spyware/adware as being potentially dangerous'". The FACT is that they do NOT detect the installer, but instead detect the already installed product, even when no sponsor is installed in the first place.

The sponsor can also, by no means, be installed with the files MSAS is reporting as a threat.

And even worse, in removing the harmless Plus! files (msgplus.exe and its dll's), corrupting the possebility to uninstall the sponsor IF it was installed.

The issue is, to put it simply, that MSAS gives false and wrong information. Patchou (or any Plus! supporter) wouldn't have any problem if MSAS only detected the installer as a threat, because after all, that is what it is supposed to be doing in the first place...

Nevertheless, dawgie, this has been discussed in the last couple of days to a point where we all ended up flaming each other. We all know (hopefully) eachothers vision by now, based upon facts or not...

Keep this thread clean and don't let it end in another yes/no discussion. If you don't agree with it, then leave it be; nobody is forcing you to sign anything...

-------------------------------------

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
quote:
Originally posted by lance.carnegie
just another compny MS is trying to squash!
*-) I dont think so. I just think its some kinda misunderstanding that will be cleared up hopefully peacefully sooner rather than later :)
UPDATE:
Btw i put this topic on my website along with the banner @ http://ja.thedt.net/2005/08/17/msgplus-petition/

Although you mean it well, I very very strongly advise you to either remove the message or fix the message.

What you wrote there is NOT what this is all about and misinforms those who want to sign the petition. Patchou does NOT ask that Messenger Plus! is to be removed from the black list at all. Please read again the petition to grasp the real issue at hand...

It is very important that everybody understands the real problem to avoid people starting to flame these forums like it happened these days, just because they are misinformed.

-------------------------------------

In general and to others who want to put something like that on their site:

Be extremely carefully in what you write!!!!!!! And be VERY aware of what the REAL issue is. Reading thru the recent discussions (and even this thread) it is very clear that still many people (even old-time users of this forum) still don't understand the REAL issue here.

This also goes for translating the petition. Be extremely carefull in how you translate it. Because as you can see, it is very easy to miss the point completely and to misinform and mislead the readers/signers...

This post was edited on 08-17-2005 at 01:10 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
08-17-2005 12:53 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Lieter

37 / Male / –
signed
Stuff:
MSN Messenger 7.5.0299 (English)
Messenger Plus! 3.60.144 (English)
StuffPlug NG 2.2.397(BETA) (English)
[Image: Lieter.png]
08-17-2005 12:57 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Kryptonate
Veteran Member

37 / Male / –
I've signed it also. Hope it will work.
08-17-2005 01:06 PM
zaher1988

Inseperable

36 / Male / Flag
(Y)  Signed the petition. (Y) and from my heart hope Microsoft will understand us.

And for sure we should be one hand, and i think this only the start!.

Good Luck for all
08-17-2005 01:19 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
Signed with the following comment:

As a Msgplus user, helper and betatester i sign this petition. This problem needs to be solved asap as this is making it hard on us to solve peoples problems, due to MSAS cripling the uninstaller and deleting files it should not.

I will continue to provide help using messenger Plus! and right now it means telling users to disable MSAS and to reinstall Plus! with sponsor in order for the sponsor to be uninstalled properly...in my opinion this is making it hard on everybody and surely isn't needed at all.

Patchou has made a very userfriendly program in all points of view (the sponsor is optional and can't be installed without the user actually choosing to install it and has provided a simple way to uninstall it aswell incase they don't like the sponsor afterwards).

The way MSAS is detecting Plus! right now is bad for both parties really. Msg Plus! party for ppl starting to doubt this program (even though many won't use MSNM without Plus! anymore because of the many usefull features it provides) and for MSAS aswell because once they see Plus! sponsor can be uninstalled as we tell them to they might seriously consider getting rid of MSAS.

I hope we can solve this problem in a friendly way and that MSAS and Plus! can exist next to eachother. Plus! does not deserve to be treated this way..there's so many programs outthere that go undetected and certainly are bad, every toolbar is ad/spyware no matter how usefull they are...do be fair on us please.

Thank you for reading.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
08-17-2005 01:20 PM
Jimcando

34 / Male / Flag
Signed.
And I hope the Microsoft also make an official apology :P
08-17-2005 01:22 PM
Fr@nKy

Mess.be Addicted

35 / Male / –
WE MUST SAVE MESSENGER PLUS! NO MATTER WHAT!
[Image: Signature.png]
08-17-2005 01:50 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
lizard.boy
Veteran Member

33 / Male / Flag
I signed it. I'd hate to see your paper/toner bill for this though :P.
personally i woudlnt use msas just because i see them as trying to compete with perfectly good adware/spyware/malware/whaeverware removers like Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D.
08-17-2005 02:17 PM
sk8michael

34 / Male / –
Of course I signed the petition! ;) I'm really happy to see that all the Messenger Plus! community is with Patchou ! Like I said many times before, "Together, WE can change the situation!"... Messenger Plus! is the greatest addon ever, we cannot let Microsoft make what they want with it...

Have a nice day everybody !!!
[Image: messengerplussignature4lg.gif]
08-17-2005 02:34 PM
einum

Freude am Fahren

49 / Male / –
*einum has signed the petition

Patchou, keep up the good work and stay in there! (Y)
08-17-2005 02:35 PM
Pages: (29): « First « 1 2 3 4 [ 5 ] 6 7 8 9 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: