What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » MSN HACK WARNING

Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
MSN HACK WARNING
Author: Message:
segosa
Community's Choice

RE: MSN HACK WARNING
Daniel says:
Im Mr. Hacker, you do as i say or we will wipe your hard drive
Daniel says:
Daniel says:
Daniel says:
Daniel says:
Daniel says:
Daniel says:
segosa says:
LMAO
segosa says:
IM SCARED!1
Daniel says:
!@!

You guys are paranoid over nothing. One message CANNOT enable someone to hack you unless you are ALREADY vulnerable to some sort of exploit. You don't need your power cable next to you, jeez.
The previous sentence is false. The following sentence is true.
08-21-2005 07:25 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Fergy
I've had something like this happen to me before, a hacker/virus got into my computer, reset it and got it to tasks (probably format my hard drive) when it started up again. When i noticed the MS-Dos text all over the screen, i went to the power board and turned off the power to the system. When i turned it back on, it loaded windows fine.

'MS Dos Text'

Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
08-21-2005 07:29 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
~INVASION~
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
|-), he/she wont get past the triple defense :P

This post was edited on 08-21-2005 at 07:37 AM by ~INVASION~.
{WindowsLive Butterfly ~ 2006 - 2009}
08-21-2005 07:37 AM
DJeX
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by brian
Erm, if you didn't click, and you didn't accept, your safe. :-\

Heh not really, if you reply to his message he can use a Packet sniffer to get your IP, and if you have no firewall or protection of some sort he can get in.
[Image: top.gif]
08-21-2005 07:39 AM
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by DJeX
quote:

Heh not really, if you reply to his message he can use a Packet sniffer to get your IP, and if you have no firewall or protection of some sort he can get in.

its called IT GOES TRHOUGH THE SERVER

besides, unless you use sp0 or something you're fine.

8-)

This post was edited on 08-21-2005 at 07:45 AM by ShawnZ.
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
08-21-2005 07:44 AM
segosa
Community's Choice

quote:
Originally posted by DJeX
quote:

You know, wouldn't it be great if people who didn't know what they were talking about would just shut up? I'm sorry but if I don't know much about a certain subject I don't go ranting about it as if I know everything.

For starters, everything is routed THROUGH the messenger servers UNLESS you have "allow msn messenger to connect directly to your contacts" (though don't know if this option is there anymore) so NO a packet sniffer WILL NOT WORK.

"if you have no firewall or protection of some sort he can get in"

Bullshit. That sentence shows you have no idea how it all works. You can *ONLY* be hacked if you have a vulnerable piece of software either running on your computer or listening for incoming connections! (by running software I mean like Internet Explorer, which would actually have to be used to visit a website that exploited it!)

And yes vulnerable software is a lot of times components of Windows.
08-21-2005 07:50 AM
Dane
Non-Elite Member

Dont ask to ask, just ASK!

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Shawn

besides, unless you use sp0 or something you're fine.

Hrm...SP0 is newbie.  Anyway, this sounds like some pathetic chain letter that a newbie thought was a real threat.
08-21-2005 08:21 AM
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by segosa

For starters, everything is routed THROUGH the messenger servers UNLESS you have "allow msn messenger to connect directly to your contacts" (though don't know if this option is there anymore)
No this option isn't there any more for two reasons;
1) MS didn't want a ton of bandwidth being sent through their servers
2) Ip2Ip transfers are generally quicker, so it was switched to this.

This is enabled by default and there is no option to change it. If you go to the Main Messenger Window > Tools > Options > Connection, you can see if you are connected directly to the .NET Messenger Service. If you are this means you have either a direct connection to the internet, or one that is through a uPnP router\NAT. If it is direct all connections made (like file transfers, audio and video chat) are sent directly to your contact, and this means if any of these connections are made they can get your IP address.

quote:

Bullshit.
It is true that most of the time having a decent firewall up and running will not help if you're already infected, but it really depends on a hackers method of exploiting users. For example some firewalls are designed to block remote attempts to connect to trojans using advanced detection, even if you have allowed the infected program to use the internet.
Also in the case of vulnerable windows programs, firewalls can help block attempts to remotely connect to software by closing and hiding ports and blocking attempts to connect that are obviously malicious.
Firewalls can help, but if the method of exploiting your computer was advanced enough and taken care of, then it won't be of much use.

Edit: Why don't you just find the address out of the person who sent it and report it to MSN support?

This post was edited on 08-21-2005 at 08:33 AM by Anubis.
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
08-21-2005 08:29 AM
segosa
Community's Choice

RE: RE: MSN HACK WARNING
quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
quote:

For starters, everything is routed THROUGH the messenger servers UNLESS you have "allow msn messenger to connect directly to your contacts" (though don't know if this option is there anymore)
No this option isn't there any more for two reasons;
1) MS didn't want a ton of bandwidth being sent through their servers
2) Ip2Ip transfers are generally quicker, so it was switched to this.

This is enabled by default and there is no option to change it. If you go to the Main Messenger Window > Tools > Options > Connection, you can see if you are connected directly to the .NET Messenger Service. If you are this means you have either a direct connection to the internet, or one that is through a uPnP router\NAT. If it is direct all connections made (like file transfers, audio and video chat) are sent directly to your contact, and this means if any of these connections are made they can get your IP address.

quote:

Bullshit.
It is true that most of the time having a decent firewall up and running will not help if you're already infected, but it really depends on a hackers method of exploiting users. For example some firewalls are designed to block remote attempts to connect to trojans using advanced detection, even if you have allowed the infected program to use the internet.
Also in the case of vulnerable windows programs, firewalls can help block attempts to remotely connect to software by closing and hiding ports and blocking attempts to connect that are obviously malicious.
Firewalls can help, but if the method of exploiting your computer was advanced enough and taken care of, then it won't be of much use.

Edit: Why don't you just find the address out of the person who sent it and report it to MSN support?

I believe you've misunderstood parts of my post..

For the first, I've never seen MSN Messenger directly connect me to a contact for a simple conversation (and to test this I opened a conversation with someone who I knew I could connect directly to and had the latest version of messenger..). Webchat, Audio, transfers, etc, have always been a direct connection if possible, but DJeX was referring to a simple conversation giving out your IP address which isn't true.

For the second, I didn't mean that a firewall doesn't help.. read what he said again

He's saying that if you don't have a firewall or antivirus he's guaranteed to be able to get in.

This post was edited on 08-21-2005 at 08:58 AM by segosa.
08-21-2005 08:57 AM
Killers2

hi

31 / Male / –
if that happend to me id get all firewalls and everything up and then say BRING IT ON:@
08-24-2005 11:23 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: