What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » [suggestion] Tip of the day

Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 » Last »
[suggestion] Tip of the day
Author: Message:
stephen_wq

Fireball!

– / Male / –
RE: [suggestion] Tip of the day
I think there should be the plus icon, microsoft office paperclip style :P
Then it can randomly get a lightbulb over its head when it has a tip.
Or not
Tips are a good idea anyway
08-25-2005 08:13 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
That's why I, personally, would only show a tip every X startups or every X days. A user can get pretty tired of the popping balloons each time he starts messenger or each hour or something like that. IMHO, if there is an extensive period between two tips automatically showing, the chances are much bigger that the user doesn't turn it off strait away (and thus the feature missing its purpose)
i agree with that. Maybe there should be a flashing icon every 2 or 3 days, however the static icon would be there always, just in case the user wants to learn something new right then.

Also, if a very new tip or very interesting notice has been added to the DB, Plus should show* that tip even if it showed another the last day, ie: even if it is still in the 2-3 days without tips.

*-> With "show tip" i mean, flash the icon and wait until the user press it to show the tip. A tip should never be displayed automatically, except, maybe, for the first one (tip of the day will help you discovering many features in Messenger Plus!. We advice you not to disable it and read it regularly. Plus! has many surprises for you). This will prevent the user from disabling the feature as soon as s/he gets annoyed by the first tip.
Messenger Plus! en espaņol:
<< http://www.msgpluslive.es/ >>
<< http://foro.msgpluslive.es/ >>
:plus4:
08-25-2005 07:28 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
blackjack

=/

36 / Male / Flag
[Image: tip0zp.jpg]

I have some idea :P Just another Option in that globe :P (More!) and when u click it.. it will take u to this Window...

[Image: tipspreferences5iu.jpg]

There you can Choose how much tips per day u want to be showed.. or some other way you want to be informed.. 8-) I dunno :P but more options available for Tips :P

Edit: I dunno.. Maybe this is too much for a little Tip :P But well.. is just an Idea :)

This post was edited on 08-25-2005 at 10:30 PM by blackjack.
[Image: z3n0900.ashx]
08-25-2005 10:24 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
The purpose of the tips is not to have a shortcut to the preferences (well it could include a tip saying you can find lots of stuff in the prefs, but this is not its main purpose)...

A tip window useually contains only text (de tip), and some options relating to the tips: close balloon, show next one, ... If there is going to be a link/button to the prefs, it should be the prefs of the tips themselfs.

This post was edited on 08-25-2005 at 11:47 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
08-25-2005 11:46 PM
KeyStorm
Elite Member

Inn-sewer-ants-pollie-sea

38 / Male / –
O.P. RE: [suggestion] Tip of the day
quote:
The purpose of the tips is not to have a shortcut to the preferences (well it could include a tip saying you can find lots of stuff in the prefs, but this is not its main purpose)...

Nah, Blacky meant there to be a new tab in preferences to set up everything related to the tips. Hovewer I think it might be better to have a dialog (if any) that popped up letting you select whether to enable or disable the tips, whether to have them pop up alone or manually shown and with what frequency they should appear.

Maybe a link to that dialog should replace the "Do not show tips anymore" So people would have to take an intermediate step to disable them, giving them a chance to reconsider it :P
08-26-2005 12:07 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
blackjack

=/

36 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: [suggestion] Tip of the day
quote:

A tip window useually contains only text (de tip), and some options relating to the tips: close balloon, show next one, ... If there is going to be a link/button to the prefs, it should be the prefs of the tips themselfs.

Yeah thanks i know :P I made that without thinking in what u said :P but now i know its a Bad Idea.. or maybe you can change that stuff.. But not in the preferences.. You can select when to receive a tip (in the balloon) :P Something like that
[Image: z3n0900.ashx]
08-26-2005 12:09 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by KeyStorm
Nah, Blacky meant there to be a new tab in preferences to set up everything related to the tips.
yeah, I realised that after I've posted the message (as I essentially said the same in that reply -see last line- :p). I thought I had deleted the post though, guess not....

Anyways
quote:
Hovewer I think it might be better to have a dialog (if any)
the options for the tips is something perfect to add in the Plus! preferences. IMHO, I wouldn't make a seperate dialog for that. They are after all options/preferences and it would be logic to search for them in the preference panel, I think...

The issue is where to add it; the preference window is getting too full as it is now (remember that Patchou needed to delete a section to add some other stuff), maybe a few more tabs need to be added and a small bit of reorganisation... sounds like big works for Plus! 4 :P

This post was edited on 08-26-2005 at 12:38 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
08-26-2005 12:37 AM
KeyStorm
Elite Member

Inn-sewer-ants-pollie-sea

38 / Male / –
O.P. RE: [suggestion] Tip of the day
After reading
quote:
the options for the tips is something perfect to add in the Plus! preferences. IMHO, I wouldn't make a seperate dialog for that. They are after all options/preferences and it would be logic to search for them in the preference panel, I think...

I was about to post

quote:
The issue is where to add it; the preference window is getting too full as it is now (remember that Patchou needed to delete a section to add some other stuff)

But I was luckily patient enough to read your post til the end :P

Yeah, this is the main reason for I wouldn't add it to the preferences. However Guido and Patchou will have to think up a new GUI for it, because it looks bloated and slightly disorganized. :)

This post was edited on 08-26-2005 at 12:53 AM by KeyStorm.
08-26-2005 12:52 AM
LittleK

Wo0p-Wo0p..

34 / Female / –
quote:
Attachment: plus-tipofday.png

Good idea for newbs, but most of the people using it these day already know how Plus! runs and what not. Still a good idea though, i might have a look at it myself if it gets added :)
[Image: style3,LittleK.png]
09-05-2005 06:58 PM
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by LittleK
but most of the people using it these day already know how Plus! runs and what not
i don't think so... lots of people register daily in forums (both these ones and the spanish ones) asking for help, also there are many people who install plus but only know the very basic of it, event if they have plus instaled for a lot of time.

Apart of that, the new features are always new for everybody... KS' suggestion is indeed very good :)
Messenger Plus! en espaņol:
<< http://www.msgpluslive.es/ >>
<< http://foro.msgpluslive.es/ >>
:plus4:
09-05-2005 07:55 PM
Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites