What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » MSN File Extention Block Avoider

Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
MSN File Extention Block Avoider
Author: Message:
Plik
Veteran Member

34 / Male / –
RE: MSN File Extention Block Avoider
quote:
Originally posted by Patabugen
the most constructive reply iv recieved on this forum was that of Absorbation.
No. that was the only reply that said good job, it was the least constructive one because it didnt tell you any errors and things to build on.
08-29-2005 08:52 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
multimillion2k

– / Male / –
Patabugen, there is nothing wrong with your method - it works perfectly for your needs. However, it is also redundant as Stuffplug (which Millenium Edition mentioned in the first page) not only allows the transfer of *.exe files - it allows ANY file - without having to change anything. The reason others disapproved of your method is because it creates unnecessary work for you.

As you've stated, you're going to check stuffplug out and I hope it meets your needs.

I must apologise on behalf of everyone but you must understand that we do get a LOT of posts from people who shouldn't be using a computer at all. It does get a little frustrating sometimes, especially when they are determined to prove themselves right!
08-29-2005 09:20 PM
Concord Dawn
Veteran Member

This is a loopy fruit.

33 / Male / –
quote:
the infamous blocked file unblockers that firstly dosent work for me, and if you want me to get specific it also creates security holes in other places on your pc because it also stops the "are you sure you want to run this file" warnings in places.

No it doesn't. Not if you're using an MSN patch, such as Apatch or MessPatch. Both these patches do not touch Windows, they only disable the extension block in MSN. Therefore, as long as you have common sense, they open no new security holes.

Also, might I ask why they don't work?
[Image: 7.png]
08-29-2005 09:35 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Patabugen

O.P. RE: MSN File Extention Block Avoider
I dont know why they dont work, it worked perfectly the first time but since then it started blocking them again and after both me and my friend reinstalled it still nothing.

Thats another thought about the extention blockers, i dont know it for a fact but dont both you and your contact need to have run it?  If so using a blocker is no better than my method since you need both people to run it for it to work at all, atleast with my method the file will transfer. Anyway...

Two questions if anyone knows the answer (mostly out of interest):
Does MSN check the extention of files being both sent and recieved, it wouldnt make sence to only check the sent one as a virus could simply disable it the same was most patches do.
If MSN does check recieved files are the blockers any use if only you use it? (which was so many peoples argument againt my method)
08-29-2005 10:07 PM
brian

– / Male / –
Yes, I'm an idiot. :-\

Unzipping will be way faster, because you won't go do all the crap, it's all automated, and it wont cause much trouble on the other side too, because XP has it's own built-in ZIP reader/extracter.
08-29-2005 10:22 PM
Patabugen

if the other person has done this its similar to them doing the blocker patch thing, you do it once and dont have to worry about it again. its easier for the person recieving they just run the file.
My exe2 files can be run as is, no unzipping no renaming to send they work exatly like a .exe except they dont get blocked.
Its slightly less effort to use the patcher as you dont need to rename anything ever but it didnt work for me so i did it this way, if StuffPlug works (althought i have doubts it will work if the other person has not patched) better then ill use that either way i have a way i know works for me.

Zips work and are easy, but this is easier (for me atleast)
A little advantage iv just manage to find, when you recieve a .exe file you need to open my recieved files before you can open it, but exe2 you can launch straight by clicking on the link in the messenger window.
08-29-2005 10:51 PM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
A little advantage iv just manage to find, when you recieve a .exe file you need to open my recieved files before you can open it, but exe2 you can launch straight by clicking on the link in the messenger window.
As you can with ZIP.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
08-31-2005 09:55 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Patabugen

i have already explained why i dont use ZIP's

and technically no, clicking the link opens the zip and you then open the EXE, it dosent load the EXE straight.
08-31-2005 02:50 PM
RaceProUK
Elite Member

39 / Male / Flag
So you basically can't be bothered to update a file in a ZIP archive? How lazy are you?
And there's a damn good reason you can't open EXEs from Messenger - malicious code! Have you thought about that?

At the end of the day, your method works, but it's complicated, hard for non-techies to understand, and just plain isn't the best way if doing it. I myself use SPNG to remove the file extension blocker, because I find it simple and easy to use - check one box, and you're done.
[Image: spartaafk.png]
08-31-2005 03:35 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Patabugen

no its just quicker, you all keep telling me theres patches that do it easier than mine now your telling me im lazy for wanting to do it the easier way?

Yes theres a good reason they dont open automatically, the same reason they are blocked. You unblock them because your confident enough to know whats save to recieve and whats not, im confident enough (possibly ignorantly but thats my risk) to want to open them straight.

I do now have StuffPlug and am liking some of its other features, although i havent yet used the file transferness. (timestamps :))
09-01-2005 02:56 AM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: