What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » VistaBlog Second Edition

Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] Last »
VistaBlog Second Edition
Author: Message:
Fourjays

Jaguar E-Type

36 / Male / –
O.P. RE: VistaBlog Second Edition
quote:
Originally posted by Millenium_edition
it is a very appealing look, i have to agree.
but, i think the space on the sides is totally not well used and takes ages to load, for just a background picture.

There wouldn't be much point in doing the glass look, if there wasn't any space left for you to see the background...

I might scrap any further work on VistaBlog. People like it, but then there are those who just seem to be picking holes in it, forgetting how hard it is to make something look as close as possible, while maintaining as high as possible compatibility levels. Your limited by HTMLs limitations, while trying to make it fit onto any resolution and browser...

I should be spending my time on doing payware templates really... :(

This post was edited on 09-10-2005 at 01:07 PM by Fourjays.
[Image: msgsig7yx.jpg]
A new range of internet based services... Coming Soon(ish)! - www.fortheinter.net
09-10-2005 01:06 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
hmaster

33 / Male / Flag
RE: VistaBlog Second Edition
LOL true, have you thought about using less images or is it not possible?
[Image: sig.png]
09-10-2005 01:12 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Millenium_edition
Veteran Member

quote:
Originally posted by Fourjays
quote:
Originally posted by Millenium_edition
it is a very appealing look, i have to agree.
but, i think the space on the sides is totally not well used and takes ages to load, for just a background picture.

There wouldn't be much point in doing the glass look, if there wasn't any space left for you to see the background...

I might scrap any further work on VistaBlog. People like it, but then there are those who just seem to be picking holes in it, forgetting how hard it is to make something look as close as possible, while maintaining as high as possible compatibility levels. Your limited by HTMLs limitations, while trying to make it fit onto any resolution and browser...

I should be spending my time on doing payware templates really... :(
heyheyhey, not so pessmistic! :(
try to think of it like this: you're trying to get over the html limitations and you'll gain more experience to make better payware templates!

learning never hurts. plus, you could add a few "you want me to design your site?" or "donate if you like my work" links if you really need money. (just a few idea's)
09-10-2005 01:36 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Fourjays

Jaguar E-Type

36 / Male / –
I made VistaBlog because the only ones I could find were really basic glass effect designs that barely looked like Vista (ie: there is one that ahs a stripey background, with a glass front, that looks nothing like a Vista Window).

I wanted this to actually look like Vista. I can't find work arounds for what it ideally needs to do though. :(

Each method has a con. I probably need to really simplify it, so it is LESS like Vista, but still MORE like Vista than other "Vista" templates. :-/

One idea is to do it like other Vista screenshots. Have a basic content area with PNG images for the "glass" effect. Then do the black sidebar to the right.

One idea (although I have no idea how and/or if possible), would be to have the minimise button work, so it "minimises" to the "taskbar" in the template, allowing you to see the background in its full glory. That would probably require a hack in Wordpress...

Maybe I SHOULD cease VistaBlog, and start on something that has glass like VistaBlog, but is more open to change... ;)

Let me know your suggestions on what you would like to see... :)

A new range of internet based services... Coming Soon(ish)! - www.fortheinter.net
09-10-2005 01:52 PM
Fourjays

Jaguar E-Type

36 / Male / –
Unfortunately, making a proper, transparent VistaBlog isn't going to work. After spending many hours playing in Photoshop and other things, I got nowhere.

I tried:

- Javascript to force IE to show PNGs. Worked, but when I set images to stretch, it made some peculiar mess...

- Filter for opacity on the images, in a seperate IE CSS. This stretched the images height-wise, for no reason really. It also made the complete image transparent, so any shadows or w/e failed to work. :(

- Various other experiments, all of which failed.

I think I'll work on making a new, super cool template for Wordpress (and other software). ;) After all, people will get bored of Vista when its released. lol.
09-10-2005 09:17 PM
albert
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
Nice (Y)

I got the first edition myself :) but the second looks a little better, especially the fire one.. :)

Nice job(Y)
09-10-2005 09:55 PM
Fourjays

Jaguar E-Type

36 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by lp15
Nice (Y)

I got the first edition myself :) but the second looks a little better, especially the fire one.. :)

Nice job(Y)

You mean Burning? :p

It isn't actually fire, its a sunset, but its well cool. :)
09-10-2005 10:01 PM
Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: