As the search doesn't gave me any XPize topics.. I'd like to introduce this nice little application for XP to you...
No, it's called XPize (pronounce it as "EXP-eyeZ"
What is it?
XPize is a GUI enhancer for Windows XP and above. It replaces most of the non-XP icons, avis and bmps that Microsoft has always overlooked.
The installer simply automates the process of replacing resources in critical system files, making your XP's look better.
It also includes some extras and a reloader, which you can use after visiting Windows Update.
XPize does not contain any spyware or ad-ware of any kind.
If you are not satisfied with the results, you can completely uninstall XPize.
XPize is compatible with any version (except x64) and any language of Windows XP (Home, Pro & MCE) and 2003.
What features does it offer?
* Patches more than 150 system files without user interaction.
* Updates tons of old resources still existent in Windows XP coming from Windows 95/98/2000.
* Gives Windows XP a fresh new look, with new animations, icons and images.
* Installs some cool extras, such as a boot screen, logon screen, screensaver and more.
* Lets you create a custom Windows CD using the I386 Patching feature.
* Is compatible with nLite's hotfix integration.
* Has advanced switches to let you install it silently and with the components you want.
Got any example for me?
As you can see, the looks differ a lot!
XPize comes with a few extra's:
* XPize 4.0 can have "big desktop icons" ala Vista
* You can have a special bootscreen
* XPize comes with a few very nice wallpapers
* Xpize comes with the Royale (Media Center) and Luna themes
* Xpize has an optional Taskswitcher
A few - non Windows - items also have special icons!
* ActiveSync 4.0
...and a few more..
I wanna get it! I want it I WANT IT!! NOW!!
First make sure you have the .NET Framework 1.1! If not, get it from Windows update
or the Microsoft Download Center
The Framework is needed for the config-thingy
Then Download XPize
and run the installer...
Follow the steps and reboot your pc when asked... When it's rebooted... It's looking brand new
Sh... it sucks!
That's possible, everyone has its own opinion, I personally LOVE XPize, I have it installed on all my Windows XP systems
Even the ones I don't use..
XPize makes a System Restore point, so you can go back to that...
I guess the uninstaller will restore the backups aswell!
A few sidenodes:
Note 1: Uninstall previous versions before installing this one.
Note 2: Windows x64 bit is not supported.
Note 3: Lite version is the same as normal, except that all 128x128 icons have been removed.
Note 4: Homepage will be updated soon. Needed info for testing is listed in this post.
After a UPDATE, like Windows Update you MUST run the XPize Reloader as it checks the dll's and patches them again if needed!
More info about the XPize 4.0 release: Here
Xpize Website: Here
Have fun, questions are welcome.. I'll try to help you out!