What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Computer troubles, ???..cause remains mystery.

Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
Computer troubles, ???..cause remains mystery.
Author: Message:
John Anderton
Elite Member

37 / Male / Flag
RE: Computer troubles, urgent help needed!
quote:
Originally posted by rav0
Do you have a "Last Known Good Configuration" option. I don't know what the problem is, but the lastgood restore could work
It doesnt :) nothing does.
Sunshine, you are lucky you atleast have safe mode .... i didnt :sad:
Try re-installing xp over the older copy by running the setup from the cd. It used to work in win 9x. If it works it'd save your time re-installing everything ;)
And i know what you mean when you say
quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
I seriously don't want to reinstall Windows every two weeks :( It took many many hours to reinstall all my programs again...and i haven't even put all back yet..i now install when i come across one i need that i forgot.
The same thing happens to me ;)
* John Anderton consoles sunshine if she has to re-install everything again :cry:
[

KarunAB.com
]

[img]http://gamercards.exophase.com/459422.png[
/img]
09-10-2005 10:56 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
O.P. RE: Computer troubles, UNsolved..cause remains mystery.
Just like yesterday when i turned on my comp it hang again on startup screen (with the blocks). Doing the same like yesterday did not solve it (safemode/AV scan), there was no virus found. I ran chkdsk and there were no bad sectors found either.

So then i chose "last good configuration", this made things even worse as i now can't even get into safemode anymore :(

This is seriously the worst and weirdest problem i've ever come across. I guess there's nothing left to do now but a reinstall. But if any of you could tell me what could cause this strange behaviour, please let me know. I'd hate to face the same thing every few weeks :'(
[Image: 25dr3o9]
09-11-2005 11:43 AM
Nathan
Veteran Member

Yeah, "large dimensions" ;)

– / Male / Flag
RE: Computer troubles, UNsolved..cause remains mystery.
Anyway If you format your hardrive it should put the registry back to normal.
Touch Innovation - touch friendly programs/applications for the windows mobile!

09-11-2005 12:09 PM
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
Now if i could only get into the setup from CD...it boots up...i see blue screen loading things then it goes on to black screen with only blinking cursor :mipdodgy:

No "Welcome to setup"

I'm running a memorytest atm, i seriously have no idea whats wrong with this thing..
09-11-2005 01:33 PM
brian

– / Male / –
I think it's a hardware problem there, no reason why it could not load the setup, itself.

Is your XP disk kind of clean from the back?  If it's scratched too much maybe?  This is a really weird situtation.  Did you ever do something, install?  New hardware?
09-11-2005 02:13 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
I expect it to be a hardware problem aswell. No new hardware since those repairguys formatted and reinstalled (about 2 weeks ago).

The Windows CD is brandnew, only got it like a month ago (Genuine Advantage CD). Repairguys managed to install from it so it can't be the CD.

Question remains: what is it and how to find out :(

This post was edited on 09-11-2005 at 02:45 PM by Sunshine.
09-11-2005 02:30 PM
DragonX

40 / Male / –
Had same prob and the only to fix it, after hours of tests and trying different whatnot plus hours on the phone with M$ too, the only thing left to do was to reformat. If you have a dvd burner drive, or a second hard drive, i'd recommend getting Norton Ghost, so u can create an image of yur C:\ drive and store it on a back up drive, it'll turn a 4h installation into a 1h restore, plus, Ghost can fit a lil over 6Gbs on one 4.7Gb dvd disc. And if u keep having to re-install, then yur hdd is busted, and it's most likely the write/read head that's damaged (y you wont find bad sectors on your disk). Hope this helps. :)
[Image: dsd-mi_616175.png]
09-11-2005 02:46 PM
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
How's this for weird..i ran the memory test for over an hour, it found nothing and all of a sudden windows boots up normally again :mipdodgy:

I'm starting to think it's the RAM wich is working fine one min and not the next..if tomorrow the same happens i will see if switching the two RAM sticks makes any difference.

chkdsk /r c: returned that the volume is not damaged.

This post was edited on 09-11-2005 at 04:48 PM by Sunshine.
09-11-2005 04:03 PM
zaidgs

– / Male / –
i once had similar problems, and it was the modem (if you have one), try that! although i think the symptoms suggest a hardware problem not nessarily modem or RAM, try to remove most of ur PCI cards one at a time to test.
09-11-2005 04:21 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by zaidgs
i once had similar problems, and it was the modem (if you have one), try that! although i think the symptoms suggest a hardware problem not nessarily modem or RAM, try to remove most of ur PCI cards one at a time to test.
I only got basic stuff inthere (no fancy stuff like television card etc., the only cards i know off that are inthere are a graphics card and an ethernetcard), i don't think there's any i can take out and still be able to go into windows (besides the ethernetcard). And yes, i do have a modem wich is connected to my comp with an ethernetcard.

This is a totally weird problem, how to explain that after just running half an AV scan in safemode (first day, finding nothin) or runnin a memorytest program from diskette (today) it all of a sudden decides to work again? It didn't alter anything at all in windows, config or registry.

It's like it has to adress a certain part of the memory wich sometimes works and at other times doesn't (doesn't when computer is cold).

This post was edited on 09-11-2005 at 05:29 PM by Sunshine.
09-11-2005 05:07 PM
Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: