What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Computer troubles, ???..cause remains mystery.

Pages: (4): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 » Last »
Computer troubles, ???..cause remains mystery.
Author: Message:
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
O.P. Huh?  Computer troubles, ???..cause remains mystery.
I'm writing this on my second comp. The troubles are with my main comp.

This morning i turned on my computer and it hang at Windows start screen (the one with the moving blocks). I could not restart it with ctrl alt del so i turned it off with the powerbutton. When the menu turned up to choose how i would like to start Windows i let it start up normally..wich it wouldn't, it resulted in an autoreboot returning to that menu again. Now i'm working in safemode (admin account). Right now i'm doing a virusscan but doubt it's a virus really..next thing i'll try will be checkdisk.

This sounds like the same problem i had a few weeks ago. Only then i had done a sysrestore wich failed, in the end i couldn't do anything anymore and got the message: Could not find system.sav, or system.sav corrupted. I took it to repairshop and they formatted C: (i was hoping they could fix it without doing that) and built in an extra cooler, it's still not clear what caused all this.

Any of you have an idea on how to fix this weird problem, or what could cause this?

This post was edited on 10-02-2005 at 10:53 AM by Sunshine.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
09-10-2005 09:36 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
multimillion2k

– / Male / –
RE: Computer troubles, urgent help needed!
My guess would be a corrupt registry? I remember having a similar problem, but as far as I can recall I don't think I could even get into safe mode, and like you I couldn't perform a successful system restore. The method on the Microsoft site didn't seem to work either.

I think I managed to fix it by proceeding to reinstall XP again, whereupon it detected that it was already installed and offered to repair it instead of reinstalling.
09-10-2005 09:54 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
John Anderton
Elite Member

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
This morning i turned on my computer and it hang at Windows start screen (the one with the moving blocks). I could not restart it with ctrl alt del so i turned it off with the powerbutton. When the menu turned up to choose how i would like to start Windows i let it start up normally..wich it wouldn't, it resulted in an autoreboot returning to that menu again. Now i'm working in safemode (admin account). Right now i'm doing a virusscan but doubt it's a virus really..next thing i'll try will be checkdisk.

I had the same problem .... i just reinstalled windows and it fixed it but yeah it is a corrupted registry problem like mm2K said :)

What i did was i reinstalled win xp by formatting C drive only and it worked. I didnt know how to fix the reg corruption. In win 9x you could reinstall 9x over the old copy to refresh all the files and stuff but i dont think that can be done here :)
[

KarunAB.com
]

[img]http://gamercards.exophase.com/459422.png[
/img]
09-10-2005 10:01 AM
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
I'm writing this on my second comp. The troubles are with my main comp.

This sounds like the same problem i had a few weeks ago. Only then i had done a sysrestore wich failed, in the end i couldn't do anything anymore and got the message: Could not find system.sav, or system.sav corrupted. I took it to repairshop and they formatted C: (i was hoping they could fix it without doing that) and built in an extra cooler, it's still not clear what caused all this.

Any of you have an idea on how to fix this weird problem, or what could cause this?

are there any bad sectors on the HDD?
09-10-2005 10:06 AM
shine
Veteran Member

Recharging......

49 / Male / –
reboot your pc, keep pressing F8 key till you get the menu that gives you option of  safemod, select command prompt, Run 'Scanreg' and restore your registry to a date when it was working fine.
09-10-2005 10:10 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
O.P. RE: Computer troubles, urgent help needed!
I wonder how can the registry become corrupted from one day to another? All was fine yesterday :mipdodgy:

I seriously don't want to reinstall Windows every two weeks :( It took many many hours to reinstall all my programs again...and i haven't even put all back yet..i now install when i come across one i need that i forgot.

Animal: i don't know.

Shine: will try what you said...all i can get into now is safemode.

This post was edited on 09-10-2005 at 10:16 AM by Sunshine.
09-10-2005 10:12 AM
shine
Veteran Member

Recharging......

49 / Male / –
System sotres you registry info at periodic intervels....Try what I said and see if it works
09-10-2005 10:15 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
Do you have a "Last Known Good Configuration" option. I don't know what the problem is, but the lastgood restore could work
| [Image: dorsh] |

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
09-10-2005 10:41 AM
multimillion2k

– / Male / –
I do recommend the repair install, it only changes system files and it even keeps your programs so you won't have to reinstall them again.
A google search for "XP repair install" returns lots of useful info.
09-10-2005 10:42 AM
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
O.P. RE: Computer troubles, urgent help needed!
quote:
Originally posted by rav0
Do you have a "Last Known Good Configuration" option. I don't know what the problem is, but the lastgood restore could work
I think that only appears when it won't boot up at all anymore..i remember seeing that last time..tried it then but didn't work at all.

Well now i'm totally flabbergasted....

I stopped my AV scan (Kaspersky AV), it had found nothing asfar as i could see..i typed in scanreg in run, wich was not recognized...rebooted and it started up normally again...just to try it i rebooted pressing F8 and chose commandprompt at the menu...typed scanreg, wich again was not recognized :mipdodgy:

Well atleast it's back to normal again now, but i guess i'll always be wondering what it was...

Thanks guys for all your help :D

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
* John Anderton consoles sunshine if she has to re-install everything again :cry:
Thanks, i was so lucky it solved "itself" this time :)

This post was edited on 09-10-2005 at 11:26 AM by Sunshine.
09-10-2005 10:44 AM
Pages: (4): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: