What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » iTunes 5 kills Internet Connection

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
iTunes 5 kills Internet Connection
Author: Message:
kierant

Can you still feel the butterflies?

– / Male / –
O.P. iTunes 5 kills Internet Connection
I am on a wireless network with one PC (Internet source) and one laptop.
Both use XP Home.

When iTunes 5 came out I downloaded it to the laptop and installed. After installation however, the internet connection and the laptop completely stopped [ie. no internet explorer; MSN etc.]. I checked the main PC and the connection had failed here too - even though the main PC is the source of the connection.

Strangely however, my wireless router that is connected to the PC [only laptop has wireless card - PC and router connected by ethernet] still displays the DSL LED to say that the connection is alive. Also, I am still able to share documents/printers between the two over the wireless.

I tried uninstalling iTunes on the laptop to fix it but the only way it could be fixed was to turn off the router for a while and turn it back on.

NOTE: it is definately iTunes that is causing the problem as I have tested and installed it a few times by running Internet Explorer moments before installation [works fine] and moments after [doesn't work].

If anyone is able to help I'd be very happy! Thanks

EDIT: I have noticed that in version 5 it installs a program called 'Bonjour'. What is this and could this be the problem?

EDIT2: I have just installed iTunes 5 on the main PC and this hasn't killed the internet connection in any way.*-) EDIT3: After actually running iTunes the connection was killed. Grr...

This post was edited on 09-11-2005 at 04:29 PM by kierant.
[Image: kierantsig5ru.png]
09-11-2005 04:00 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Stigmata
Veteran Member

20 / Other / Flag
RE: iTunes 5 kills Internet Connection
quote:
Originally posted by kierant
EDIT: I have noticed that in version 5 it installs a program called 'Bonjour'. What is this and could this be the problem?

its "hello" in french :grin:

well kill the process and see what happens.
09-11-2005 05:15 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
kierant

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: RE: iTunes 5 kills Internet Connection
quote:
Originally posted by Stigmata
quote:
Originally posted by kierant

its "hello" in french :grin:

well kill the process and see what happens.

Funny guy.

I have and still the problem occurs.
09-11-2005 05:59 PM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
Sorry to burst your bubble but iTunes 5 is not the culprite. Just because your DSL light is active doesn't mean your actually transfering bits of data back and forth. Now if you have to reset your router to get a connection then there might be something with the router itself but certainly not iTunes. Since you have uninstalled iTunes and it still happened a problem can't be caused by software not installed right?!?

I would reset both your router and your DSL Modem (unplug the power for each for 10 seconds then plug them back in). The devices may just need to be reset I know it happens at home with my network to.
09-11-2005 06:55 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Dane
Non-Elite Member

Dont ask to ask, just ASK!

35 / Male / Flag
I'm going to agree with Matty, if anything, its your DSL having issues or the Modem/Router.  What is your DSL Company?  Most of them provide a tool that automatically ensures the connection status is Ok.
09-11-2005 07:06 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
kierant

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: iTunes 5 kills Internet Connection
Well having had 'my bubble burst' I'll add some more info:

With iTunes installed I tried resetting the router and the connection does not work. After uninstalling iTunes and then resetting the router once more - it does work. So I know you undoubtedly know more about this sort of thing than me, but it seems a bit fishy that this should happen right?

A bit more info: I was having trouble with Norton Internet Security a few days ago (on the main PC) and messages popped up telling me to uninstall and reinstall. So I uninstalled but have yet to reinstall. I don't know if this could have caused the problem?

Thanks for your replies
09-11-2005 07:31 PM
mad_onion

Windows Vista Rules!

35 / Male / –
no itunes 5 is the problem it installs bonjour (previously called rendevous) which allows library transfer over networks or something like that. but basically this has caused a lot of trouble for a lot of people as it installs a new service. although im not sure if it appears in the services list. the problem is apple have made the installer badly and so on some machines it either cant install the service (leading to a crash on starting itunes) or a corrupt service which has been know to completly crash the DNS. this is what seems to be happening.
Solution: uninstall itues 5 and wait for 5.1 thats what im doing
[Image: vistasig9ys.jpg]
09-11-2005 08:32 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
kierant

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: RE: iTunes 5 kills Internet Connection
quote:
Originally posted by mad_onion
no itunes 5 is the problem it installs bonjour (previously called rendevous) which allows library transfer over networks or something like that. but basically this has caused a lot of trouble for a lot of people as it installs a new service. although im not sure if it appears in the services list. the problem is apple have made the installer badly and so on some machines it either cant install the service (leading to a crash on starting itunes) or a corrupt service which has been know to completly crash the DNS. this is what seems to be happening.
Solution: uninstall itues 5 and wait for 5.1 thats what im doing

Ok thanks very much. I'm glad it wasn't a problem just for me (in the nicest posiible way) :P
09-11-2005 08:53 PM
mad_onion

Windows Vista Rules!

35 / Male / –
lol no thats fine, and it isnt just a few its a lot of people sorry i cant be more helpful with a solution but 5.1 shouldnt be too far away not saying it will solve the problem but if apple cares about its customers it should :)
[Image: vistasig9ys.jpg]
09-11-2005 08:55 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
TylerG

33 / Male / –
I am having the same problem.  Uninstalling itunes now to see if it will work then.  Thanks:D
[Image: lardotest4on.png]
09-12-2005 12:11 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: