What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website » [Self-Split] Collection Of Views Of The Current Forum

Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 » Last »
2 votes - 3 average   [Self-Split] Collection Of Views Of The Current Forum
Author: Message:
surfichris
Former Admin

RE: [Self-Split] Collection Of Views Of The Current Forum
quote:
Originally posted by Stigmata
staff just being stricter.
just basically deleting the rubbish, no splits etc.
8-) We do that however you cannot expect us to read every single thread and post every day. We rely on users to help us with the report system. But thanks for stating what's already done!
quote:
Longer bans, and more of them.

Yep, let's be total Nazi's and make this forum hell for everyone. First we warn, we'll then ban if we see it justified. As for longer bans, we do ban users for longer periods of time.
quote:
Favourtism to be decreased, dont get me wrong, its great that you can make friend on these boards, i myself have made a fair few, but they should never be allowed to influence decisions.
Okay, did you even bother to read my replies? 8-).
quote:
I would ask that some members are not treated like celebs. I highly disagree that people should hang on anothers every word because they are popular or cool etc. its just not right, you should all be a individual.
"Whatever". As I explained, we don't play favourites.
09-16-2005 06:57 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Chrono
forum admin

;o

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
One of my experiences on irc:
i used to be a op on #banana, but one day it was removed without my knowledge. I was there for about half an hour/hour without realising this. Then LittleK, Frozendaggers plus others started bitching and arguing. I told them to stop it, and warned them with a kick (i was still oblivious to the fact that i wasnt a op). In return all i got was a rude responce telling me to F*ck off, stfu, gtfu etc.. then after i tryed to ban Littlek for being rude to a op, realising my op had been removed, i declared to the forum something along the lines of "wtf happen to my op " to i get the reply (similer reply) "LittleK: yeh thats why i didnt listen to you lol", "LittleK: If you were one, i would have shut up". While this is happening others such a segosa take no notice, dont ban her, dont kick her, and so on. Come on, just because they are girls they get special rights? Immune to discipline? "wow shes fit".
Completely unrelated to the forums O_o
quote:
staff just being stricter.
just basically deleting the rubbish, no splits etc.
Longer bans, and more of them.
i usually delete slective posts rather than split :P. Unless it could be a decent or funny topic :P. I agree about the longer bans but that's up to the admins, as mods can only ban for 24 hours. (i would have banned toddy ages ago, ffs :dodgy:). About being stricter, we are strict enough. if you think something needs a bit of moderation, then report it. if you dont report it and we do nothing about it, then we think it's fine :P

quote:
Elites + maybe others have the right to make posts invisible awaiting mod preview? so infectively deleting post but allowing it open to mod decision?
(N) Useless, simply report the post.
quote:
Reputations should be looked at, maybe this same elite/member moderating system could be put in place?
what do you mean?
quote:
Favourtism to be decreased, dont get me wrong, its great that you can make friend on these boards, i myself have made a fair few, but they should never be allowed to influence decisions.
Examples please? i dont care if the one im banning is my best friend or something, i have banned almost every regular arround :P. I banned wacky and marissa not so long ago (as an example), and they are/were good friends of mine, and they are girls :refuck:. Did i care? Well, i said i didnt like to ban 'friends', but it's my job and ill do it if you give me enough reasons :P.
quote:
I would ask that some members are not treated like celebs. I highly disagree that people should hang on anothers every word because they are popular or cool etc. its just not right, you should all be a individual.
true. But what can we do about it? Members must change, the staff cant do much about it.

What i dont like about this thread is that you people blame us (the staff) about every single problem, when most of the times you HAVE THE CHANCE to do something about it. About the spam, you can report it, about the matter that the forums need more moderating, you can help us too by reporting! It's not just our fault, it is you who are spamming on the first place :P. If you think something needs moderation, you can report, if you think someone deserves a ban you can report, we are not perfect anyway.

Meh im really pissed off :P
[Image: wdz_discrate.png]
09-16-2005 07:09 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
segosa
Community's Choice

RE: RE: [Self-Split] Collection Of Views Of The Current Forum
quote:
Not even a quarter of the users on the server actually help in the support channel..

i used to be a op on #banana, but one day it was removed without my knowledge. I was there for about half an hour/hour without realising this. Then LittleK, Frozendaggers plus others started bitching and arguing. I told them to stop it, and warned them with a kick (i was still oblivious to the fact that i wasnt a op). In return all i got was a rude responce telling me to F*ck off, stfu, gtfu etc.. then after i tryed to ban Littlek for being rude to a op, realising my op had been removed, i declared to the forum something along the lines of "wtf happen to my op :s" to i get the reply (similer reply) "LittleK: yeh thats why i didnt listen to you lol", "LittleK: If you were one, i would have shut up". While this is happening others such a segosa take no notice, dont ban her, dont kick her, and so on. Come on, just because they are girls they get special rights? Immune to discipline? "wow shes fit".

To clear things up, here are the logs of that event:

code:
[21:12:04] <Stigmata> SHUT UP!
[21:12:06] <LittleK> FrozenDaggers. we all sorted it out, it wasnt me who started the arguments everynight
[21:12:10] <FrozenDaggers> It is a fact cause you've proved my point already.
[21:12:14] <Jonny> right, AS SOMEONE who doesn't know a THING about this dispute, and hasn't seen any arguments himself, and generally is impartial, I command that no-one starts one now!
[21:12:23] <@segosa> Jonny: won't work.
[21:12:27] <@Shaun> /part and /ignore were made for reasons
[21:12:38] <FrozenDaggers> and I didn't know it was gonna cause trouble
[21:12:42] <LittleK> Ok
[21:12:45] <FrozenDaggers> cause I wasn't expecting you to come in.
[21:12:47] <FrozenDaggers> end of.
[21:13:26] <Stigmata> Anymore arguing results in a kick. Continous Arguing = Ban.
[21:13:38] <FrozenDaggers> ¬¬
[21:13:40] <LittleK> Stigmata, f o tbh ;\
[21:13:45] <LittleK> that count as a kick?
[21:13:48] <FrozenDaggers> yeah, what LittleK said.

After that you were just questioning losing your op.

You're telling me I should have banned her for telling you to 'f o'? Hey, whatever happened to free speech? Life is full of things which offend you, big deal. Learn to live with it. We don't ban for petty things like telling someone else to 'f o'.

Just like with lou_habs above the situation is blown right out of proportion in your description of the event and IRC is made to look worse than it is.

Girls do not get special treatment, LittleK is a perfect example of this and I'm sure she'll confirm it.

This post was edited on 09-16-2005 at 07:23 AM by segosa.
The previous sentence is false. The following sentence is true.
09-16-2005 07:20 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Ok, I read this whole thread (once and a half times) and what I can add to the many posts in here I agree upon (and the few I don't agree upon), is this:

It all comes down to having respect for eachother and to have respect for the rules! Think before you post something, read threads before posting something and report spam/abuse/wrong things with the report button.

And if you need to argue with someone, try to keep it a clean and a mature discussion (I know this isn't always easy though).

Rules are to be respected, not to be broken. If someone doesn't stick to them he/she will get punished.

If people follow the rules (and I mostly mean the "common sense" rules, not only the "don't do this don't do that" rules) then there is no reason for a mod/admin to take any action in the first place. So please don't blame them if things get worse on a forum, it is mostly the users themselfs who make or brake a forum.

If anything needs to be changed it is not a reputation report system, local mods, stickies, etc. (as those are all means to keep a problem under control, or mask it if you like, it is not to solve the problem), it is the behaviour of the people who use a forum. If everybody has a good mature senseable behaviour on a forum, then there wouldn't be any need for mods/admins/rules/whatever anyways...

(all this goes for IRC also... heck, for every kind of community...)

This post was edited on 09-16-2005 at 08:12 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
09-16-2005 08:11 AM
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
i somewhat agree. these forums are going downhill,  why, i think its partly to do with the fact People "care" so much about this "Reputation" system than anything else,
09-16-2005 08:22 AM
Pyroteq
Veteran Member

Formally 'Scone'

33 / Male / –
And ive just stopped posting, seeing as all this shit is going on..
09-16-2005 09:06 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
What's with all these people leaving the forums when there are a few arguments? You think that's gonna solve the problem? If you do then i can tell you you are wrong! If anything it's gonna make it worse, big forums like these depend on people reporting posts and other mishaps (even posts in T&T if they are abusive). You can't expect a lil group of people to do it all. Admins and mods are trying their best..but don't expect them to read every single post, help them!

Asfor leaving threads, i've become somewhat immune to them (there were too many)..90% of those leaving come back, that's why you will not see me posting in them. It's only when people i know won't leave over nothing that i try to get them to stay. Dedication to a community means staying in good and bad times.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
09-16-2005 10:33 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
KeyStorm
Elite Member

Inn-sewer-ants-pollie-sea

38 / Male / –
First of all, I agree with Anubis and Cookie (edit: and Sunshine, of course), I think we see the problem from the same side.

In the time I've been back from my idleness I've discovered that there's a group of helper-wannabes who really have good intentions, but are not following some certain ethical guidelines while helping and convert the support into a race for posting the first and not a race for posting the best.
Other times there are different points of view, and I'm keen on discussing them because I like to see things from different sides, but I expect others to be just as open-minded to listen to others' opinions. Some threads have fallen into certainly harsh tone and, I reckon, I'm not going to allow people to insult my point of view, as well as you won't see me insulting anyone esle's. This points directly to respect. I had to bite my tongue fingers quite some times to not to start acccusing of immaturity and direspect towards forum veterans or forum n00bs. It's not a matter of forum time, it's a matter of thinking one's above the rest and can easily insult or disregard what others say.

I try to keep a respectful attitude towards those who start to aggressively defend their points, but I'm not an Otherland's bot, I can't always be nice to people stating those who say "Bush is not a good president" are stupid. It's not the opinion one may have, it's the way one supports it, and insulting others is certainly wrong, but lately spreading around, sadly.

There's nothing staff can do, people have freedom of speech (to a certain extent), but there still should be an etiquette for everyone, implied or expressed.

This post was edited on 09-16-2005 at 12:41 PM by KeyStorm.
09-16-2005 10:49 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Lou
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
Well now that the chat logs have been posted for the chat with me I would like to clear things up.

First of all that wasn't the first time I was on. The first time I was on, I had been banned and I said hello and I just got flamed at from everyone for being baned o_O

Irc has changed since and I return once in a while. And I am respected. Things change.

@ admins: I wasn't saying I didn't get banned for a reason. Its the fact of privacy. If you ban me, only I and other admins/mods should know the reason. The fact is that when mnjul posted that he was going to ban me, it only went up for flaming at me. I deleted the thread before anything bad happened. And the fact that it was "possible" that I had been banned for asking to be a beta tester, which I never did  would mean that this privacy was no longer existent and that you couldn't keep anything to yourself.

I don't care about the past. I am merely stating examples of things that "could" be improved. I know that it isn't always the fact for everyone. Some things are member speicific.
quote:
We make or break these forums, together
I saw this is someone's signature once. It is very true. It's not just the admins, not jsut the mods, not just the members. Anything and everything is caused by everyone.

EDIT: It's sunshine's sig.

I would also like to add, that flaming people for bad grammer is stupid. You simply have to correct them, and politely ask them to be more careful of what they type. Flaming them will most probably get them to do it again just to annoy you.

This post was edited on 09-16-2005 at 11:00 AM by Lou.
[Image: msghelp.net.png]
The future holds bright things in it\\\'s path, but only time will tell what they are and where they come from.
Messenger Stuff Forums
09-16-2005 10:57 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
segosa
Community's Choice

RE: RE: [Self-Split] Collection Of Views Of The Current Forum
quote:
Originally posted by lou_habs
Well now that the chat logs have been posted for the chat with me I would like to clear things up.

First of all that wasn't the first time I was on. The first time I was on, I had been banned and I said hello and I just got flamed at from everyone for being baned o_O

Irc has changed since and I return once in a while. And I am respected. Things change

The first instance of 'lou_habs' in my logfile starts at line 122,230 out of 470,850, so if what you say is true then you must have left for a long time.

I don't know what happened back then, whether you really were flamed and abused for no reason, since I can't seem to recall any of that. But either way, whatever happened in the past, you're respected now...
The previous sentence is false. The following sentence is true.
09-16-2005 11:09 AM
Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: