What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » HTML Help please

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
HTML Help please
Author: Message:
lordy

34 / Male / Flag
O.P. HTML Help please
i want a link to open in a new window, it's my web2messenger status image link, and i want it to open in a new window when someone clicks on it (it's not on a forum btw :P) problem is i have no idea what to put into the code to make it do that. i'd assume it's in the <a> part of the code?
09-18-2005 03:06 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Plik
Veteran Member

34 / Male / –
RE: HTML Help please
code:
<a href="link" target="_blank">
09-18-2005 03:09 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
lordy

34 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: HTML Help please
thank you kindly :D
09-18-2005 03:11 PM
user2319
Disabled Account

I don't know if this is just for you special purpose (it sounds like it, because you're talking about some sort of app), but I think it's evil for the designer to make a page open in a new window. If I want to open it in a new window, I will do that myself. Useless new windows opening clutter my desktop when I'm not using multiple desktops. Not just technical people like me hate this, it also confuses people who are new to computers, like my mom. She wants to use the back button, but because some websites open in a new window, this doesn't work. And when she's done viewing whatever she wanted to view, she'll close the current window and then responds like "huh, there's another window here?".
09-24-2005 05:55 PM
Plik
Veteran Member

34 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by PlusFan
I don't know if this is just for you special purpose (it sounds like it, because you're talking about some sort of app), but I think it's evil for the designer to make a page open in a new window. If I want to open it in a new window, I will do that myself. Useless new windows opening clutter my desktop when I'm not using multiple desktops. Not just technical people like me hate this, it also confuses people who are new to computers, like my mom. She wants to use the back button, but because some websites open in a new window, this doesn't work. And when she's done viewing whatever she wanted to view, she'll close the current window and then responds like "huh, there's another window here?".

I disagree with that.
The current standard in web design is to open offsite links in a new window, which imo is the best practise. For example if you have a list of cool websites the user can open a link and still be able to browse your site will looking at the site you linked to, and if they want they can open all the links off your site and browse them at the same time.
09-24-2005 06:00 PM
user2319
Disabled Account

And if I wanted to use tabs?...
09-24-2005 07:29 PM
Plik
Veteran Member

34 / Male / –
quote:
I think theres either a feature in firefox or an extension that forces all target _blank links to open in a new tab and not window. And im sure opera would have a similar feature.
09-24-2005 07:43 PM
user2319
Disabled Account

RE: RE: HTML Help please
quote:
Originally posted by Madman
quote:
I think theres either a feature in firefox or an extension that forces all target _blank links to open in a new tab and not window. And im sure opera would have a similar feature.

I know, but I want both multiple tabs and windows. (Yes I'm weird.)

I still think about it the same: If someone want to open links in a new window/tab/whatever, they'll instruct their browser to do so. Give the user that freedom.
09-24-2005 09:27 PM
lordy

34 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: HTML Help please
yeh but the problem was that the website that i was puttin it on used frames or something and it kept opening the web2messenger page in a tiny little box that you couldne see what the whole thing was about. i was making it open in a new window so that whoever clicked on it could actually see the window in the frst place
09-24-2005 11:10 PM
Ezra
Veteran Member

Forgiveness is between them and God

37 / Male / Flag
You can also use the target function to target it to another frame, instead of target="_blank" use target="name", where name is the name of the frame
[Image: 1-0.png]

09-24-2005 11:35 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: