What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » dual monitors

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
dual monitors
Author: Message:
Lou
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: dual monitors
well it seems like it doesnt detect my mother board's video slot :S
[Image: msghelp.net.png]
The future holds bright things in it\\\'s path, but only time will tell what they are and where they come from.
Messenger Stuff Forums
09-25-2005 03:16 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
-dt-
Scripting Contest Winner

;o

35 / Male / Flag
RE: dual monitors
:-/ I was pretty sure that if you used a video card the motherboards one "turned off" so it wouldnt do weird things with the inserted video card....

:P just buy a cheap pci video card (presuming you have an agp one atm) and just plug it into pci slot then plug one of your monitors to it and bang it should work.
[Image: dt2.0v2.png]      Happy Birthday, WDZ
09-25-2005 03:33 AM
Lou
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by -dt-
:-/ I was pretty sure that if you used a video card the motherboards one "turned off" so it wouldnt do weird things with the inserted video card....

:P just buy a cheap pci video card (presuming you have an agp one atm) and just plug it into pci slot then plug one of your monitors to it and bang it should work.
I think my current one is pci. However a friend of mine is going to give me an agp one with two slots on tuesday so that should fix the problem.
The future holds bright things in it\\\'s path, but only time will tell what they are and where they come from.
Messenger Stuff Forums
09-25-2005 01:30 PM
qune

operating with 2 monitors simultaneously requires a videocard that has the additional DVI output...
09-25-2005 04:09 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
TylerG

33 / Male / –
Your computer might not have enough power to support to video cards at once:-/
[Image: lardotest4on.png]
09-25-2005 09:50 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: dual monitors
quote:
Originally posted by lou_habs
well it seems like it doesnt detect my mother board's video slot :S

You need to enable it again (before installing drivers).

Either in your BIOS or either even by setting a specific jumper on your motherboard (which is of course seriously depening on what type of mobo you have).

It even can be that you need to configure the drivers for the already existing graphics cards so they don't turn off the mobo graphics cards. Or, set a jumper on your graphics card. Again, all depends on what hardware and software you got.

The main thing is, you first need to enable the integrated graphics on your mobo (and of course first check if your mobo supports using the integrated graphics and an external graphics card simultaniously)

--------------------------

quote:
Not always, and highly depends on mobo, graphics card and the various drivers you use

quote:
That really shouldn't be nessecairly (although it might work; but if this works, then there is no reason why using the integrated graphics on the mobo shouldn't work in the first place)

quote:
Originally posted by qune
operating with 2 monitors simultaneously requires a videocard that has the additional DVI output...
That's nonsense. The DVI output is simply another type of plug then the older VGA plugs, that's all. It has got nothing to do with the ability of dual monitoring or whatever.

A graphics card can have:
1 VGA port
2 VGA ports
1 DVI port
2 DVI ports
1 VGA and 1 DVI port
etc...

quote:
Originally posted by TylerG
Your computer might not have enough power to support to video cards at once:-/
That is extremely unlikely for the average user. It is only when you use two high powered high-end graphics card that you may stumble across this. And in the case that you can afford such graphics card, and actually have a use for them, you also most likely also have a big power supply (+300W), again ruling out such an event of having too less power...

And even then, if all hardware things were set correctly and before you plugged in the monitor and installed the drivers, the second card would still be 'reconized' by Windows (enough power or not).

This post was edited on 09-25-2005 at 10:07 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
09-25-2005 10:04 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
qune

RE: RE: RE: dual monitors
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
That's nonsense. The DVI output is simply another type of plug then the older VGA plugs, that's all. It has got nothing to do with the ability of dual monitoring or whatever.

A graphics card can have:
1 VGA port
2 VGA ports
1 DVI port
2 DVI ports
1 VGA and 1 DVI port
etc...
the most common widely spread graphic cards have 1 vga and another dvi output for dual monitoring... it's also the cheapest and fool-proof way in most cases...
09-25-2005 10:16 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
it's also the cheapest and fool-proof way in most cases...
cheapest? nope... it also isn't the cheapest in manufactering it. Fool-proof? howso? the only 'fool-proof' thing about it is that you can only plug in a certain type of monitor, not really what I call fool-proof (rather a "damn, now I also need a more expensive monitor which supports DVI")...

You can't do nothing wrong by plugging monitor A in port B or whatever if both ports are of the same type. It's not like a monitor can only be used as primary or secondary monitor; it simply displays what is being output on the port it is plugged in... So this hasn't got anything todo with being fool-proof (as in prevent you from doing something wrong).

The reason why such cards have 1 VGA and 1 DVI port is for compatibility; not for fool-proofing something. New, modern, (and slightly more expensive monitors) have a DVI port instead of a VGA port. To serve both type of costumers (the ones with "older" VGA monitors and the ones with modern DVI monitors) they include both types of ports on their cards. The ability to use them as dual monitors is only an added bonus.

That's also why there are graphics cards with both the types of plugs but without dual monitoring support; it's either DVI or VGA, and not always both...

This post was edited on 09-25-2005 at 10:33 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
09-25-2005 10:26 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Lou
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
it's also the cheapest and fool-proof way in most cases...
cheapest? nope... it also isn't the cheapest in manufactering it. Fool-proof? howso? the only 'fool-proof' thing about it is that you can only plug in a certain type of monitor, not really what I call fool-proof (rather a "damn, now I also need a more expensive monitor which supports DVI")...

You can't do nothing wrong by plugging monitor A in port B or whatever if both ports are of the same type. It's not like a monitor can only be used as primary or secondary monitor; it simply displays what is being output on the port it is plugged in... So this hasn't got anything todo with being fool-proof (as in prevent you from doing something wrong).

The reason why such cards have 1 VGA and 1 DVI port is for compatibility; not for fool-proofing something. New, modern, (and slightly more expensive monitors) have a DVI port instead of a VGA port. To serve both type of costumers (the ones with "older" VGA monitors and the ones with modern DVI monitors) they include both types of ports on their cards. The ability to use them as dual monitors is only an added bonus.

That's also why there are graphics cards with both the types of plugs but without dual monitoring support; it's either DVI or VGA, and not always both...
If I post my mother board info and everything tommorow, could you explain to me what I need to do? [I will also post my bios information]
Messenger Stuff Forums
09-25-2005 11:41 PM
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
Silly kids.

You must enable the onboard one in the BIOS before it decides to output anything.
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.