What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Feature request: Direct connect

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
1 votes - 5 average   Feature request: Direct connect
Author: Message:
MoZo1

39 / Male / –
O.P. RE: RE: RE: RE: Feature request: Direct connect
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
You don't need a server to get someone's IP...

I have dinamic IP and other I know have to, so I need.
quote:
If MSN Messenger doesn't allow a direct connection it is because a direct connection couldn't be established because one of you are behind a router blocking a possible direct connection for example (there are other reasons also). Using another server (eg: Plus!) isn't going to change that at all...

I tought this too, but a lot of my friend connect directly and me too and we still not allowed to make direct connect. Then see this:
quote:
My last mail with the MSN support team
MSN Customer Support <MSSGR.FREE.NA.US.EN.SYK.ELS.TS.T02.SPT.PC.EM@css.one.microsoft.com>         2005. szeptember 29. 5:23
Címzett: ME <MEhu@gmail.com>
Hello Zoltan,

Thank you for contacting MSN Messenger Technical Support. My name is Carlos, and I am pleased to assist you with this issue. I regret any inconvenience this has caused, and understand how important it is to keep in touch with your friends and family using MSN Messenger.

According to your email, the issue is you want to know why the 'Allow me to connect directly to my contacts when sending messages' is grayed out in your MSN Messenger 7.5.

Zoltan, unfortunately, that feature is not currently available with MSN Messenger 7.5 anymore, to avoid problems when sending messages. It is only available in MSN Messenger 7.0 . We forwarded your suggestion to the product team that carefully reviews these suggestions and considers them for future releases.

Thanks again for contacting MSN Messenger Technical Support, and for your use of Microsoft products. Have a wonderful day.

Best Regards,

Carlos,
MSN Messenger Technical Support Team

For questions or self-help with MSN Messenger, at anytime you may also visit: http://messenger.msn.com/help or http://support.msn.com

If you want to know more about MSN Messenger you can also visit: http://ilovemessenger.com
The entire mailing is downloadable from my other topic, and you can see my comments about the supporting teams intelligence too. This was that thing what gave me this idea.
[Image: MoZo1_siggy.jpg]
10-10-2005 04:12 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Feature request: Direct connect
quote:
Originally posted by MoZo1
quote:
You don't need a server to get someone's IP...

I have dinamic IP and other I know have to, so I need.
No, you don't need a server to get an IP...

quote:
quote:
If MSN Messenger doesn't allow a direct connection it is because a direct connection couldn't be established because one of you are behind a router blocking a possible direct connection for example (there are other reasons also). Using another server (eg: Plus!) isn't going to change that at all...

I tought this too, but a lot of my friend connect directly and me too and we still not allowed to make direct connect. Then see this: (...)
I didn't "think" it was like this, it is a fact... And as I said, there are more issues which could prevent a direct connection (read all the stuff the msn tech support has mailed you to have a small idea of what can go wrong or what could prevent direct connections).

Directly connecting isn't that strait forward as you might think. Using another (Plus!) server isn't going to change how MSN Messenger connects or what not...

quote:
(...)
quote:
My last mail with the MSN support team:
[snipped]
The entire mailing is downloadable from my other topic, and you can see my comments about the supporting teams intelligence too. This was that thing what gave me this idea.
Again, using another (Plus!) server isn't going to change that at all. MSN Messenger 7.5 uses different ways to connect, this requires different settings. You can't change how MSN Messenger connects to speed up chatting...

If you want to send files to your contact faster I suggest you do not use MSN Messenger for that but other means which are able to open and redirect the proper ports. But even then, if you are behind routers which don't support a particular protocol or have some specific firewall settings or what not, direct connection will fail...

To be able to directly connect both parties need specific settings and both parties need specific ports opened and some security measures taken down. And this is exactly why things as firewalls and routers often prevent a direct connection. And this has got nothing to do with what relay server you use; it wont solve a thing.

This post was edited on 10-10-2005 at 09:45 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-10-2005 10:04 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
MoZo1

39 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Feature request: Direct connect
quote:
First pharse of this topic:
The "Allow me to connect directly to my contacts when sending messages" option has been greyed out in the MSN 7.5.
And I wouldn't like to change the MSN's connection, rather to use the Plus! itself to send files. I can use FTP server as I do for larger things, but to click onto a contact and then sending files is more faster.

And if you have a friend and you haven't got any server with fixed IP, then how can you get his ip? (each of you have dinamic IP) My problem is just that, if I make an FTP server, ppl's don't know my IP if I don't set it somewhere and it's annoying.
10-10-2005 11:47 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Roll Eyes  RE: RE: Feature request: Direct connect
1) an FTP server isn't a direct connection either
2) something like that will NEVER be put in Plus!
3) a plugin exists which allows you to send files to your contacts, search the forums
4) you get your friends IP by simply asking them, you don't need any server for that. Hell, you don't need an internet connection at all, just phone him and ask him

:rolleyes:

This post was edited on 10-11-2005 at 03:13 AM by CookieRevised.
10-11-2005 02:08 AM
MoZo1

39 / Male / –
O.P. RE: RE: RE: Feature request: Direct connect
quote:
1) an FTP server isn't a direct connection either
2) something like that will NEVER be put in Plus!
3) a plugin exists which allows you to send files to your contacts, search the forums
4) you get your friends IP by simply asking them, you don't need any server for that. Hell, you don't need an internet connection at all, just phone him and ask him

:rolleyes:

Sure, now I can undersatnd you! After I have direct connect, I can know the IP, but I'am talking about the opening of the connection. (Now I don't have direct connect. That time we simply used our firewall to see where the MSN connect and get the IP.)
This way I must make an ftp server and give my IP then others need to copy that to another program and then send the files. Fortunately the Plus! can send my IP through auto msg, so this works even if I sleep and my comp have reconnected because of some reasons. But that would be more simple to drag and drop these files onto my contact's floating window. I would prefer this for files bigger than 10MB but less than 50MB because they are not so much time to send with my connection, but an eternity for the MSN's server.
And if the Plus! will be able to do this? That's not our decision. There can be plugins for file transfer, but this would be good for video conference too (that's slow too with a good cam), so the direct connect feature could be universal.
10-11-2005 03:33 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: RE: Feature request: Direct connect
quote:
And if the Plus! will be able to do this? That's not our decision.
I can tell you it will NEVER happen because Plus! will not aid in illegal file sharing.

10-11-2005 09:23 AM
Ezra
Veteran Member

Forgiveness is between them and God

37 / Male / Flag
RE: Feature request: Direct connect
And the plugin FileTransferPlus already supports this. You DO need to open the correct ports on your router and firewall, it won't open them itself (yet). And it's drag and drop compatible.

You drag the file to your messenger window, drop it, and the plugin will send your ip and other connection info to your contact in the window, after that both computers will start the transfer and use the max speed it can get.

To download the plugin and for more information about it go to the official filetransferplus help and support forums :)
www.filetransferplus.com

This post was edited on 10-11-2005 at 02:48 PM by Ezra.
[Image: 1-0.png]

10-11-2005 02:47 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: