What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Making more space on disk drive

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Making more space on disk drive
Author: Message:
zach

33 / Male / Flag
O.P. Making more space on disk drive
I just uninstalled some games and delete old files, but the amount of free space on the disk didn't change. Why doesn't it?

Of course I have emptied the recycling bin.

This post was edited on 10-09-2005 at 06:19 AM by zach.
10-09-2005 02:37 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
ddunk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
RE: Making more space on disk drive
Have you emptied the recycle bin?
10-09-2005 02:43 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Mike
Elite Member

Meet the Spam Family!

31 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by zach

I just uninstalled some games and delete old files, but the amount of free space on the disk didn't change. Why doesn't it?

Were they using Microsoft Installer, because when you uninstall programs with it, instead of freeing disk space, it uses more disk space...
YouTube closed-captions ripper (also allows you to download videos!)
10-09-2005 08:24 AM
zach

33 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Making more space on disk drive
"Were they using Microsoft Installer, because when you uninstall programs with it, instead of freeing disk space, it uses more disk space... "
Some of them did. Why on earth would they use more disk space?
10-09-2005 09:01 AM
Reaper
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
with the games you removed, check in the program files folder and remove the game folder, leaves a few mbs in there
10-09-2005 10:53 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Mike
Elite Member

Meet the Spam Family!

31 / Male / Flag
quote:
"Were they using Microsoft Installer, because when you uninstall programs with it, instead of freeing disk space, it uses more disk space... "
Some of them did. Why on earth would they use more disk space?
Well, I once I uninstalled a game and a program which were kinda big (the game was near 500 MBs and the program was around 200 MBs) and there wasn't any space freeded...

But when I uninstalled a game which it was installer was installshield, it did free space!
YouTube closed-captions ripper (also allows you to download videos!)
10-09-2005 10:56 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Making more space on disk drive
quote:

It is quite possible that the amount was so little that it isn't reflected in the figure you see... eg: removing 10MB from 9GB, will still be reported as 9GB. To know the exact size do a proper scan of your whole HDD, don't rely on rounded numbers...

quote:
Originally posted by Mike
Were they using Microsoft Installer, because when you uninstall programs with it, instead of freeing disk space, it uses more disk space...
Uninstalling programs which were installed with MSI, certainly don't eat more diskspace! That doesn't make any sense...
If you encountered something like that it certainly doesn't mean it is always so. It means you either messed something up, or the uninstaller didn't function of that particular program.

quote:
Originally posted by Reaper
with the games you removed, check in the program files folder and remove the game folder, leaves a few mbs in there
Not always. If you uninstalled (note: not simply "delete") games properly, everything should be removed by the uninstaller. In most cases this is so, but only in a few occasions some small stuff can be left (eg: you have some savegames)...

---------------------

Uninstalling or removing or deleting will ALWAYS free space! That's the whole point of uninstalling, removing, deleting, etc... If it didn't there would be no point in (un)installing anything, heck there would be no point for a HDD and no point for computers in general... If you remove 500MB, then 500MB will be freed... always... (even if you didn't clear the recycle bin, the space is freed and marked as obsolete and ready to be used again)

This post was edited on 10-09-2005 at 01:37 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-09-2005 01:34 PM
zach

33 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Making more space on disk drive
Well I didn't see the amount of space free change at all. I was expecting to have about 10gbs more space. Maybe that was a bit too much to expect to go, but I'm sure that before I installed heaps of the games, that's how much more there was.
10-10-2005 03:11 AM
Rubber Stamp

It Was Never Random

34 / Male / –
start-all programs-accesories-system tools-disk cleanup.
select the drive, check all the things it displays and click OK. it will surely free up space. freed out 2 GB in mine
10-10-2005 07:39 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Well I didn't see the amount of space free change at all. I was expecting to have about 10gbs more space. Maybe that was a bit too much to expect to go, but I'm sure that before I installed heaps of the games, that's how much more there was.
It isn't because you installed lots of games that you used lots of disk space. Many games simply only install the launchers and critical files and all the rest (the vast large files) stay on the cdroms.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-10-2005 09:47 AM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: