What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Making more space on disk drive

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Making more space on disk drive
Author: Message:
Chestah
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
RE: Making more space on disk drive
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
Originally posted by zach
Well I didn't see the amount of space free change at all. I was expecting to have about 10gbs more space. Maybe that was a bit too much to expect to go, but I'm sure that before I installed heaps of the games, that's how much more there was.
It isn't because you installed lots of games that you used lots of disk space. Many games simply only install the launchers and critical files and all the rest (the vast large files) stay on the cdroms.

not really :P, most games these days install most data onto the computer and most only need the CD-ROM/DVD-ROM for checking to see if your version is legit or to view movies that are incorporated into the games itself.
Segosa is newb.
10-10-2005 09:54 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Chestah
not really :P, most games these days install most data onto the computer and most only need the CD-ROM/DVD-ROM for checking to see if your version is legit or to view movies that are incorporated into the games itself.
I didn't say most games, I said many games :p since that highly depends from game to game and type of installation to installation (it even can depend on what type and speed your PC is)... Anyways, the amount of such games aren't important. Important is that it is not nessecairly because you installed a certain game, that your HDD is suddenly 10GB smaller...

This post was edited on 10-10-2005 at 11:00 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-10-2005 10:55 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
zach

33 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Making more space on disk drive
quote:
Originally posted by Rubber Stamp
start-all programs-accesories-system tools-disk cleanup.
select the drive, check all the things it displays and click OK. it will surely free up space. freed out 2 GB in mine
That's one of the things I did.

Well there must have been some things that someone else installed on my computer. All the smaller things build up and take up alot of space too...

Thanks for the suggestions ;)

This post was edited on 10-11-2005 at 03:28 AM by zach.
10-11-2005 03:28 AM
Chestah
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
If your really worried about space and you think some where along the line somethings not right in terms of how much space you believe you should have then an option you have is to start fresh - formatting. Next time you install windows you can even create a partition just for windows and one for your software so this problem can be solved easier in the future :).
Segosa is newb.
10-11-2005 06:25 AM
MeEtc
Patchou's look-alike

In the Shadow Gallery once again

38 / Male / Flag
Here's what i do to empty some disk space: go and delete some of your older restore points from System Restore, browse Program Files, My Docs and delete the useless shit, run the disk cleaner as mentioned above, (won't free space but....) run defrag, get rid of your old tunes or vids you don't use anymore....
[Image: signature/]     [Image: sharing.png]
I cannot hear you. There is a banana in my ear.
10-11-2005 05:09 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Rubber Stamp

It Was Never Random

34 / Male / –
even i m having a similar prob, the place i got my new HD from did the wierdest partitioning, 27 GB in one drive and just around 10 GB in C:
now i need to keep deleting old files. best way- get another Hd.
10-11-2005 05:49 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
even i m having a similar prob, the place i got my new HD from did the wierdest partitioning, 27 GB in one drive and just around 10 GB in C:
That's not wierd at all. They did it so you can install Windows on C and use the other drive as your data drive. This actually is a very good way of managing your space and has some big benefits.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-11-2005 10:56 PM
Concord Dawn
Veteran Member

This is a loopy fruit.

33 / Male / –
quote:
quote:
That's not wierd at all. They did it so you can install Windows on C and use the other drive as your data drive. This actually is a very good way of managing your space and has some big benefits.

One of them being that as long as your entire disk drive doesn't fail when Windows dies, you will always be able to get your data.
[Image: 7.png]
10-12-2005 12:56 AM
Rubber Stamp

It Was Never Random

34 / Male / –
RE: RE: Making more space on disk drive
quote:
Originally posted by Concord Dawn
quote:
quote:

One of them being that as long as your entire disk drive doesn't fail when Windows dies, you will always be able to get your data.

but now i get the 'disk space less ' error every second day. real frustrating!
thanx for telling tho.
* Rubber Stamp feels hes such a noob!
10-12-2005 07:07 AM
Chestah
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
When your installing programs install them on your data drive instead of installing them on your Windows C: drive. 10 gig is perfect for windows allowing windows extra room to work with when its necessary. If you start reducing this space windows may not beable to work as fast and these disk space errors may begin to occur.
Segosa is newb.
10-12-2005 07:50 AM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: