What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » New option at OS Selection Screen

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
New option at OS Selection Screen
Author: Message:
Reaper
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. New option at OS Selection Screen
my computer all of a sudden has an OS selection when in starts up (in the bios). its called, "Windows XP Professional (bootscreen)". underneath that is "Windows XP Professional". from what  i can see they both load up windows the same. is there anyway to remove either option, as in remove the OS selection screen
it happened today when my mate joined his laptop to my computer via network. it jus appeared
10-12-2005 10:24 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Lou
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: New option at OS Selection Screen
you have windows installed twice obviously....... two hard drives maybe? or maybe just partition?
[Image: msghelp.net.png]
The future holds bright things in it\\\'s path, but only time will tell what they are and where they come from.
Messenger Stuff Forums
10-12-2005 10:36 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Reaper
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: New option at OS Selection Screen
i didnt install it twice. after 2 years of not installing another OS why would it create another
my hdd is partioned, but theres no windows file in my other drive (F:) they are all in my C:
10-12-2005 10:40 PM
pollolibredegrasa

formerly fatfreechicken

35 / Male / Flag
Have you installed StyleXP?

If so:
Clicky

Edit: No problem :)

This post was edited on 10-12-2005 at 11:20 PM by pollolibredegrasa.
;p

[Image: chickennana.gif] Vaccy is my thin twin! [Image: chickennana.gif]
10-12-2005 11:02 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Reaper
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: New option at OS Selection Screen
quote:
Originally posted by fatfreechicken
Have you installed StyleXP?

If so: Clicky
woohoo, works like a charm, thanks
10-12-2005 11:19 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by lou_habs
you have windows installed twice obviously
Nope, that's not obvious at all... It even doesn't mean he has two windows versions. I can have 50 lines like that in my boot up menu if I want. (please only post if you know about an issue a 100% certain and know how to solve it ;))

--------

Anyways, Reaper, post/attach the file C:\boot.ini here (can be a hidden file though) and we will quickly say what it is and if it is safe to delete an entry or not...

-------

This is mine:

quote:
Originally posted by boot.ini
[boot loader]
timeout=5
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /KERNEL=LOGOOS.EXE /NoExecute=AlwaysOff
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (Normal)"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (SafeBoot)" /safeboot
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (Second Copy)" /fastdetect
As you can see I have 2 copies of Windows XP, the main one on my first partition, and a backup one on my third partition of my first HDD (physical disk (0)).

I have three startup entries for my main one:
- The one I normally always use (with the /fastdetect option and the disabled DEP aka 'Data Execution Prevention' <= note: disabling this in XP SP2 can speed up windows, though it will disable the DEP security feature; but who needs that, just use your brains before starting up anything. DEP is also known to cause some bugs on certain SP2 systems)
- One which is a normal boot up, no frills whatever, loads and automatically detects everything. Useless to say that this boots up more slowely
- One which boots up in safe mode.

--------

EDIT: saw it too late that you already solved it, oh well...
(damn... must remember to click refresh befoer replying on threads)

This post was edited on 10-13-2005 at 01:35 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-12-2005 11:35 PM
Supersonicdarky
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
code:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional (bootscreen)" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /KERNEL=kernel1.exe
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

do i delete the multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect?

i just don't wana fuk my pc up
10-13-2005 01:19 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Both start up the same Windows on the same disk on the same partition... but...

- The first one uses an alternative kernel. This means the original kernel has been modified (eg: by some styling program, but it can also be from a virus!)
- The second one is the basic default one.

So it depends on if you know you are running a styling program or not. Or if you ever changed/modified a windows welcome screen and that sort of stuff yourself. If you think you haven't and you aren't running or have runned any styling program, then delete the first.

In case you're running a styling program or have ever modified a welcome screen or other system stuff in Windows, you could delete the second one. Although I do not recommend it as this second line could function as a backup in case kernel1.exe gets corrupted. (you might want to change the text though, to something like: "Microsoft Windows XP Professional (unstyled)" or whatever)

This post was edited on 10-13-2005 at 01:34 AM by CookieRevised.
10-13-2005 01:31 AM
Supersonicdarky
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
all i did was go into the boot screen menu in style xp, nothing else that could cause this...

but in the other forum it said to delete the second one :undecided:
10-13-2005 01:36 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Supersonicdarky
all i did was go into the boot screen menu in style xp, nothing else that could cause this...
If you didn't selected anything or modified anything; thus if you decided not to use stylexp, you delete the first one...

quote:
Originally posted by Supersonicdarky
but in the other forum it said to delete the second one :undecided:
Then the other forum is wrong :P because then they automatically assume you want that Windows is skinned/styled/whatever if you start up StyleXP. And apparently StyleXP thinks the same way if it changes your boot.ini like that without asking.

---

Nevertheless, by reading that thread there, I don't see anywhere somebody saying to delete the second one.
=> EDIT: oopsy, it was indeed obvious. I guess I'm too tired atm, sorry to have missed that...

---

BTW, if you do delete the first one, you might as well find the file "kernel1.exe" in your system directory and delete it (and uninstall stylexp if not already done)...

This post was edited on 10-13-2005 at 02:44 AM by CookieRevised.
10-13-2005 01:41 AM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: