What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Bluetooth Password Authorisation

Bluetooth Password Authorisation
Author: Message:
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Bluetooth Password Authorisation
quote:
Originally posted by msg_plus_freak
Passkeys are usually 0000 or 1111 on both phones, have a look in the manual.

Passkeys are not fixed, that is their use. When you want to authenticate a Bluetooth device, you make up a passkey right then, and enter the same passkey on the client and server devices.

For example, if you and I wanted to pair our phones. I would scan for devices, and select the device that has the name that you set your phone to have. It is possible that somebody nearby has set their phones name set as the same as yours, and I would't want to pair with them by accident. My phone asks me for a passkey, and I could enter 13579. My phone then sends the request to pair, and I would tell you that the passkey I entered is 13579. Your phone would ask you if you would like to pair devices. You click yes and enter the passkey 13579. My phone verifies it against the one I gave it, and since the match, the pairing completes. If I had selected the device of the nearby person who's device had the same name as yours, they wouldn't have known the correct passkey, and wouldn't have been able to be paired with my phone inadvertently.

quote:
Originally posted by paperless
If its possible to get viruses on your symbian phone via BT?
It is, though the viruses don't do much, just spread themselves. You see sonething like "Do you want to install 'hot chick.sis'? YES/NO"
quote:
Originally posted by paperlessi think bluetooth transfers can only be made with a passkey, but im not sure.
They are usually made without a passkey, but John Anderton want them to only be made with a passkey.

Another possible scenario. I'm expecting for you to send me a calculator application for my Symbian OS phone. You are getting ready to send it to me, but then that dodgy guy across the room renames a virus to calculator.sis, and sends it to me. Since I was expecting calculator.sis, I install it and have landed myself a virus. If we used a passkey, this wouldn't have happened.

quote:
Originally posted by paperless
Just never accept something you dont know where it comes from ( at least in Symbian OS phones, i dunno if there are any Java virus for all the other phones ).
There's no Java viruses. There would be no point to one, the Symbian ones are successful because thay can keep running but not show themselves. When a Java midlet runs, it gets the screen and should display something. To return to the phone, you exit the midlet.
| [Image: dorsh] |

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
10-30-2005 11:14 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Bluetooth Password Authorisation - by John Anderton on 10-29-2005 at 06:15 PM
RE: Bluetooth Password Authorisation - by John Anderton on 10-30-2005 at 07:11 AM
RE: Bluetooth Password Authorisation - by rav0 on 10-30-2005 at 07:38 AM
RE: Bluetooth Password Authorisation - by Nathan on 10-30-2005 at 09:36 AM
RE: Bluetooth Password Authorisation - by paperless on 10-30-2005 at 10:01 AM
RE: RE: Bluetooth Password Authorisation - by rav0 on 10-30-2005 at 11:14 AM
RE: Bluetooth Password Authorisation - by John Anderton on 10-30-2005 at 12:02 PM
RE: Bluetooth Password Authorisation - by Mike on 10-30-2005 at 01:29 PM
RE: Bluetooth Password Authorisation - by Jhrono on 10-30-2005 at 03:16 PM
RE: Bluetooth Password Authorisation - by paperless on 10-30-2005 at 03:33 PM
RE: Bluetooth Password Authorisation - by Ezra on 10-30-2005 at 05:08 PM
RE: Bluetooth Password Authorisation - by John Anderton on 10-30-2005 at 05:18 PM

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: