What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Gartner: Ignore Vista until 2008

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Gartner: Ignore Vista until 2008
Author: Message:
saralk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
RE: Gartner: Ignore Vista until 2008
but he also talked about a delay, this article mentions nothing about delays.

I think that the article is a very poor article, instead of having 10 different programs installed on an XP machine, surely it would be easier and faster to maintain a system where only 1 program is installed (i.e. Windows)
The Artist Formerly Known As saralk
London · New York · Paris
Est. 1989
11-12-2005 11:18 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Mentality

The Best Representation OF me IS ME!

38 / Male / Flag
They say don't install Vista yet then continue to tell you about all the VERY significant upgrades for it, i.e:- IE7 is a great web browser so you should downoad it, only problem is, it's only really safe if you use it with Vista as important controls can only be configured on the Vista OS, The firewall has some very crucial updates, but XP's firewall shud just about cover you if you don't use the internet for the next 3 years (at least thats what they may as well have said.)

Why say don't buy it yet, then continue to sell the product by stating all it's advantages, do these people even know what they where talking about?
11-12-2005 11:31 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Anubis
Elite Member

33 / Male / Flag
I totally agree that companies should wait a few years before upgrading to Vista.

While in the BETA phase it doesn't matter how much testing is done, it will never show up all the bugs. All the big problems seem to show themselves up after a few months of public release, when everyone has either tried every piece of software you can think on it, or have really gone nitpicking on the Operating System.

I believe people shouldn't upgrade when it comes out for a while.
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
11-12-2005 11:37 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Jhrono
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
I totally agree that companies should wait a few years before upgrading to Vista.

While in the BETA phase it doesn't matter how much testing is done, it will never show up all the bugs. All the big problems seem to show themselves up after a few months of public release, when everyone has either tried every piece of software you can think on it, or have really gone nitpicking on the Operating System.

I believe people shouldn't upgrade when it comes out for a while.
Totally agree..
Companies need reliability, and they sure arent a thrilled 14 Year old who downloads betas :P..You cant ask a OS to be perfect when it's launched, like anubis said, even if a lot of beta testing was done..So let it come out, and when it proves it's decent, maybe companies will invest in it.

quote:
Originally posted by Mentality
Vista Runs real crappy on my pc
Hint It's a beta version..

Though it can suck if your pc is really old 8-) which i presume it isnt, for you to be running windows xp

This post was edited on 11-12-2005 at 12:01 PM by Jhrono.
11-12-2005 11:58 AM
STA1661

– / Male / –
RE: RE: Gartner: Ignore Vista until 2008
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
The same goes for the New South Wales [state in Australia] Department of Educaiton & Training. Windows 2000 became standard back then and Windows XP about halfway through last year.

Funny you mentioned that Chris because in some Universities I have been at (Here in Sydney, Australia) are still running 98 throughout the Uni. I did bring it to their attention that most schools are now using XP and they just didn't care. Also about 5 out of every 7 school's I go to at the moment have got XP running and It is hoped that every NSW school has XP within the next 6 - 12 months.
If only people could respect someone who once had respect for them up until recently when all trust and respect was lost.

Depression. A psychiatric disorder characterized by an inability to concentrate, insomnia, loss of appetite, anhedonia, feelings of extreme sadness, guilt, helplessness and hopelessness, and thoughts of death. One in six men will experience depression at some time.
11-12-2005 06:49 PM
Mentality

38 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Johny
Though it can suck if your pc is really old  which i presume it isnt, for you to be running windows xp

It's quiet a good computer, but I think it has alot to do with my graphics card. Nvidia GeForce 4 MX 440. 128mb ram 32bi 60hz. you tell me.
11-17-2005 09:47 PM
Jhrono
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Mentality
It's quiet a good computer, but I think it has alot to do with my graphics card. Nvidia GeForce 4 MX 440. 128mb ram 32bi 60hz. you tell me.

I think that a gfx card wont make windows run worse..
11-17-2005 10:05 PM
lordy

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Deano
Funny you mentioned that Chris because in some Universities I have been at (Here in Sydney, Australia) are still running 98 throughout the Uni. I did bring it to their attention that most schools are now using XP and they just didn't care. Also about 5 out of every 7 school's I go to at the moment have got XP running and It is hoped that every NSW school has XP within the next 6 - 12 months.

my school doesnt even run windows, only on the office computers becuase they need it to run certain programs. all the computers in our school are the latest macs
11-17-2005 10:18 PM
Mentality

38 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Johny
I think that a gfx card wont make windows run worse..

Then it was certainly my processor since it was on a 1.4ghz at the time, I may try it again once this god damn new processor is fixed, my supplier gave me the 1.5ghz 2200+ sempron instead of the 2.2ghz was sposed to get. all this for BF2 I tell you!!!!

This post was edited on 11-18-2005 at 11:59 AM by Mentality.
11-18-2005 11:45 AM
x2zen

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by traxor
it annoys me when they keep delaying stuff like this
Who said anything about a delay?
11-18-2005 01:16 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »