What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Overcloacking problems?

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Overcloacking problems?
Author: Message:
Apatik

\o/

– / Male / Flag
RE: Overcloacking problems? & Translating
quote:
Originally posted by Choli

apart from that, i'd also suggest to make a test of the memory. That will test the cache of the processor as well as the FSB, connected to the main memory. If you've overclocked the CPU incorrectly, there may be errors accessing the memory and that would cause the PC to reboot. With a test you can detect it. Look at http://www.memtest86.com/
yeah, that's true :p but http://www.memtest.org/ > memtest86 :)
[Image: rdmazu.php]
11-13-2005 01:50 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Apatik
yeah, that's true  but http://www.memtest.org/ > memtest86
:lol: I've just googled "memtest 86" and picked up the first result :P... but you'r right
Messenger Plus! en español:
<< http://www.msgpluslive.es/ >>
<< http://foro.msgpluslive.es/ >>
:plus4:
11-13-2005 01:57 AM
YottabyteWizard

37 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Overcloacking problems? & Translating
quote:
Originally posted by Apatik
Blah, don't forget to lock the AGP/PCI frenquency to 66/33MHz, otherwise it will increase along with the FSB's, and you might get your data corrupted (as IDE frequency depends on PCI's)...
I see, maybe that's the problem, as I said before, even when I'm booting up the system might freeze up and reset, even when the CPU is cold (im running MBM and PC Alert) both give the same results (58-60 C), for this reason i know it's not an overheating issue.
I'll try locking up AGP/PCI freq too, should i let DDR freq in automatic too?
And one more thing, the CPU voltaje normally (without OC) is 1.66v, i locked it to 1.65v... so it won't keep changing.
11-13-2005 06:24 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Plik
Veteran Member

34 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by YottabyteWIzard
And one more thing, the CPU voltaje normally (without OC) is 1.66v, i locked it to 1.65v... so it won't keep changing.
that maybe the cause of the freeze's, when you overclock the cpu needs more power, so increasing the voltage will make it more stable. Although like all other things when overclock just increase it it small steps until you get a good result. And dont increase it to much otherwise you will fubar your cpu.
11-13-2005 09:21 AM
Death001

the end of the world is coming

33 / Male / –
upping the FSB and downing the voltage is a seriously stupid this to do since the system needs more power the more you over clock, doing can cause you system to crash, overheat or files to corrupt. if you over clock your CPU's FSB to 180mb you need to also over clock you ram to because if your CPU is trying to communicate with you ram at its speed of 180 and it can only handle 160 then your going to loose data, and cause over heating because it has to over work and that’s bad. So you need to make sure you ram is clocked at the same sped as your CPU or to a ratio, a ratio of 1:0.8 is normally good.

when your over clocking and your using a air cooling (a fan) you should always keep the voltage standard to start off with then increase you FSB a little test it increase it more till it becomes unstable. when it becomes unstable you should either raise the voltage, but if you having an over heating problem then its best not to do this because it causes a lot more heat, so you should just take it back to were it was stable and your done you've reached you over clocking limit, but if not raise the voltage then increase the FSB till it because unstable again and repeat till you reach the FSB limit or heat limit.

Of coarse if its over heating you could just cool it better, water cooling is what most people go for as its a lot cheap then most over methods plus it works good. But I won’t go into that because my post is long enough

All processors are different, DIFFERENT, just because someone you know got a certain speed doesn’t mean your processor will hit the same speed because there all different

Note: over clocking may cause your system to not last as long or over heat and die if this or any thing like this happens after following what I have said in my post its not my fault.
11-13-2005 09:48 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Apatik

\o/

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Overcloacking problems? & Translating
wow, there as much true things as wrong ones in Death001's post :x
quote:
Originally posted by Death001
upping the FSB and downing the voltage is a seriously stupid this to do since the system needs more power the more you over clock, doing can cause you system to crash, overheat or files to corrupt.

Increasing the FSB while decreasing the voltage is nonsense and leads to earlier instability, right. But i can't see why downing the voltage would cause overheating -_- A simple FSB O/C is pretty much harmless and does not generate much extra heat, but even a little increase of voltage will make your CPU a lot hotter. And heat is the enemy #1, and may shorten your hardware's life. BTW, 60°C @ idle is a lot too...
The power supply unit can be a limiting factor too, watch for the voltages while burning your CPU ;) (core voltage, +3.3V, +5V and +12V rails).
quote:
if you over clock your CPU's FSB to 180mb you need to also over clock you ram to because if your CPU is trying to communicate with you ram at its speed of 180 and it can only handle 160 then your going to loose data, and cause over heating because it has to over work and that’s bad. So you need to make sure you ram is clocked at the same sped as your CPU or to a ratio, a ratio of 1:0.8 is normally good.

Blah, you don't NEED to O/C the ram, as it already depends on FSB... But, as said by Choli earlier, it can be a limiting factor and can cause instability, so you should test it too. And I don't know where you got this data loss theory, if you O/C too much the ram, nothing will work, and that's all.
The ratio thing is useful if you absolutely want to increase the FSB at higher speeds than supported by your memory. (for example, with a 1:0.8 ratio, the FSB will be 250MHz while the ram will still operate at 200MHz) But it won't always improve your computer's performances.
quote:
when your over clocking and your using a air cooling (a fan) you should always keep the voltage standard to start off with then increase you FSB a little test it increase it more till it becomes unstable. when it becomes unstable you should either raise the voltage, but if you having an over heating problem then its best not to do this because it causes a lot more heat, so you should just take it back to were it was stable and your done you've reached you over clocking limit, but if not raise the voltage then increase the FSB till it because unstable again and repeat till you reach the FSB limit or heat limit.

Agreed.
quote:
Of coarse if its over heating you could just cool it better, water cooling is what most people go for as its a lot cheap then most over methods plus it works good. But I won’t go into that because my post is long enough

Water cooling is not that easy to install, and is not cheap either. There are very good (and simple) air cooling solutions out there. You may want to have a look at Thermalright or Zalman products ;)
quote:
All processors are different, DIFFERENT, just because someone you know got a certain speed doesn’t mean your processor will hit the same speed because there all different

Already said in previous posts, but still true...

This post was edited on 11-13-2005 at 02:22 PM by Apatik.
[Image: rdmazu.php]
11-13-2005 02:22 PM
Nathan
Veteran Member

Yeah, "large dimensions" ;)

– / Male / Flag
Ok I have a 1045mhz amd and its temp is 30C Do you reckon i could?
Touch Innovation - touch friendly programs/applications for the windows mobile!

11-13-2005 02:27 PM
YottabyteWizard

37 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Overcloacking problems? & Translating
I read on some forums that increasing my CPU voltaje to 1.70 or more muight burn the CPU. That's the reason of my desicion, but I'll try also increasing a lil bit the voltaje and see how it goes.
quote:
Originally posted by msg_plus_freak
Ok I have a 1045mhz amd and its temp is 30C Do you reckon i could?
I think you might be able to increase to around 1100-1150 mhz only your CPU.
11-13-2005 10:35 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Death001

the end of the world is coming

33 / Male / –
over clocking the ram means your processor and ram are communticating at the speed meaning it increases the speed evenly
11-14-2005 06:08 AM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: