What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Theory of relativity

Pages: (6): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 6 » Last »
Theory of relativity
Author: Message:
Voldemort
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
RE: RE: Theory of relativity
quote:
Originally posted by SikStyles
wasnt the theory of relativity that when you sit in a room with a hot chick an hour seems like a second and when you sit on a hot stove a second seems like an hour

im not sure though.

Yes it is (or so i believe 8-))

quote:
posted by superjugy
here the science isnt very advance and in high school we dont learn this things

I am in junior high in mexico....an we are going to start monday with this :S

I read a few days ago that some scientists said that black holes where objects that had a very large gravitational force, and it will end... giving off everything it sucked in an unrecognizable way.... i wonder how would it give light off again...

This post was edited on 11-16-2005 at 02:36 AM by Voldemort.
*All posts are a purely speculative hypothesis based on abstract reasoning.
Not my daughter, you bitch!
[Image: ico-mollytrix16.gif]
11-16-2005 02:19 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Underlord
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
RE: Theory of relativity
quote:
Originally posted by Supersonicdarky
not really, it's not faster than the speed of light, it has a huge gravity, thats why light can't escape

i also wonder if there is something non-physical that can travel faster than light... :S

And that gravity is pulling in the space around it faster than light travells. I said it was a simple explination :P.
11-16-2005 02:29 AM
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by superjugy
E=mc2 means that any mass going to the square of the speed of light then it would transform into enrgy.

<shawnz> ANY MASS GOING THE SQUARE OF THE SPEED OF LIGHT
<shawnz> (WHICH ISNT POSSIBLE BECAUSE THE ONLY THING THAT TRAVELS AT THE SPEED OF LIGHT IS MASSLESS THINGS
<shawnz> (AND NOTHING GOES FASTER THAN THE SPEED OF LIGHT EXCEPT THINGS THAT ALREADY ARE))
<shawnz> but no
<shawnz> _IF IT EVER DID_
<shawnz> it would magically turn into energy
<shawnz> no TYPE of energy
<shawnz> it just magically turns into 'energy'
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
11-16-2005 02:41 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by damm-o

I read a few days ago that some scientists said that black holes where objects that had a very large gravitational force, and it will end... giving off everything it sucked in an unrecognizable way.... i wonder how would it give light off again...

They arent objects... and they don't give everything in it back out either
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
11-16-2005 02:56 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
qgroessl
Veteran Member

33 / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
quote:
Originally posted by superjugy
E=mc2 means that any mass going to the square of the speed of light then it would transform into enrgy.

<shawnz> ANY MASS GOING THE SQUARE OF THE SPEED OF LIGHT
<shawnz> (WHICH ISNT POSSIBLE BECAUSE THE ONLY THING THAT TRAVELS AT THE SPEED OF LIGHT IS MASSLESS THINGS
<shawnz> (AND NOTHING GOES FASTER THAN THE SPEED OF LIGHT EXCEPT THINGS THAT ALREADY ARE))
<shawnz> but no
<shawnz> _IF IT EVER DID_
<shawnz> it would magically turn into energy
<shawnz> no TYPE of energy
<shawnz> it just magically turns into 'energy'

Untrue... It doesn't magically turn into energy.... The mass contains all the engergy inside of it's nucleus. That's how nuclear energy is made... by splitting atoms. And atoms are the basic building block of all matter. And what superjugy said isn't completely true... E=mc2 simply means: Engergy, is the same thing as mass x the speed of light squared.

EDIT: ShawnZ was making fun of him ;)

This post was edited on 11-16-2005 at 03:11 AM by qgroessl.
11-16-2005 03:05 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Supersonicdarky
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: Theory of relativity
quote:
Originally posted by Underlord
quote:
Originally posted by Supersonicdarky
not really, it's not faster than the speed of light, it has a huge gravity, thats why light can't escape

i also wonder if there is something non-physical that can travel faster than light... :S

And that gravity is pulling in the space around it faster than light travells. I said it was a simple explination :P.

but light can't travel than it already is (about 300000km/s), so it still travels at the same speed, but it bends because its sucked into the whole
11-16-2005 03:09 AM
qgroessl
Veteran Member

33 / – / Flag
quote:
but light can't travel than it already is

I'm thinking you're meaning either faster or slower?.... But anyways... I don't think it really bends... and sucked into the hole... if the force of gravity in a black hole is too great for a beam of light to escape... would it stand still?

This post was edited on 11-16-2005 at 04:44 AM by WDZ.
11-16-2005 03:10 AM
superjugy

I'm MegaMan Master, see my website!!

35 / Male / Flag
someone said that the you will never go fster than light, well how can u be so sure, light will always go at 300000 (dont remember how many 0) meters per second so i think if it has a finite speed and not an infinite speed then it can be rechable. how i dont know but it can be reachable. and for shownz that was making fun of me, @#%!& you, jk. but im really serious about what i said.
11-21-2005 06:17 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
DragonX

40 / Male / –
Ok i read this whole thing, and now i'm a lil dizzy ;)

Now i'm not sure if it was said but one thing that has to be kept in ming is that the only reason why light goes the speed of light is because it has no mass - light is just a form of energy (photons - which have no mass - which are actually moving in a wave form which is called an electromagnetic wave). So anything with any mass, no matter how small will never go at the speed of light.

And like someone said, the faster you go the more energy you need .

The speed of light is the fastest possible speed. The reason is that, in order to accelerate an object, you need to use energy. The more massive (or "heavier") an object is, then the more energy it takes to accelerate it.  As an object moves faster, it appears to gain mass (or become heavier). We don't notice this in everyday life, because this effect really only becomes noticeable when you get very close to the speed of light, but scientists have measured and verified this theory in laboratory experiments. In fact, if an object gets very very close to the speed of light, it's mass goes up so fast that it can seem to be infinitely heavy! At this point, it is impossible to gain enough energy to accelerate the object any further.

And here's a twist to that theory! If 2 photons emitts from the same source, are not their speed, compared to each other, twice the light speed ? (In other words say a photon - in motion - releases another photon)

Simply put, No! This is a very strange thing about special relativity. Einstein's theory states that, no matter whether you are moving or standing still, light always moves at the speed of light. So, if you were on one photon and looking at the other photon, it would appear to be moving at the speed of light.

Mathematically, the ideas behind special relativity are very simple, and can be understood with basic algebra. However, a physicalunderstanding of what special relativity means is very difficult to achieve. I'm still not certain that I truly understand it; I just accept it as true (since repeated experiments show these theories are true).

So yea, here's my input on it :)

This post was edited on 11-21-2005 at 09:12 AM by DragonX.
[Image: dsd-mi_616175.png]
11-21-2005 09:10 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Theory of relativity
quote:
Originally posted by Underlord
The only thing that can travel faster than light is space. In a black hole space is being sucked in faster than light travels, so light itself cannot escape. Very simple explination.

Einstein also concluded that gravity was not a force but a warping of space and time. Light itself is susceptible to gravity.

Also as velocity increases so does mass. If velocity is at the speed of light (c) then mass is infinate.

As velocity increases time relative to the person experiencing the velocity slows down. If velocity is at the speed of light (c) then time relative to the observer stops.

Thus to reach the speed of light is impossible. Mass would be infinate (of the object travaling at the speed of light) and time would stop (from the point of view of the observer).
This is the only (simple) explanation (without wrong conclussions) I read in this thread (as I know it).

------

Thus the thing is, and what part of the theory of relativity is about, is if you would instantly start traveling at almost the speed of light, the observer who is watching you will see almost a still picture, nothing will move in his point of view. So if you are traveling for 5 years long at that speed, the observer wouldn't see this. And although you are 5 years older after that, the observer wouldn't have aged a bit (hence time is relative). Thus he wouldn't even have known you were gone. eg: if you would have traveled 50 years long and came back, the observer would instantly see you 50 years older (which would give him a heart attack for sure :p).

It has everything to do with point of view, hence "time is relative", it depends on who is observing who.

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
quote:
Originally posted by damm-o
They arent objects... and they don't give everything in it back out either
They are objects. Only objects with an extremely great mass (and because of that extremely small... they think). Black holes aren't all the same either, some have a greater mass than others.

Black holes not only absorb matter, they also emit stuff. And that is exactly one of the ways to know where a black hole is. Black holes burst out radiation beams.

quote:
Originally posted by groessl35
But anyways... I don't think it really bends... and sucked into the hole... if the force of gravity in a black hole is too great for a beam of light to escape... would it stand still?
Yes, light will bend under the influence of gravity (this is also what is shown on the picture posted by Juzzi earlier in this thread). And this is how some measurements are done in space, how they know where massive objects are, etc... etc... This isn't theory or anything, this is a fact and is even used in (space)science to measure stuff.

Also, if the force of gravity in an object is too great for a beam of light to escape we (thus the observers) would see only blackness and call that object a black hole.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-21-2005 03:09 PM
Pages: (6): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 6 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: