What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » file encrypting

Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 » Last »
file encrypting
Author: Message:
DJKAL

33 / Male / –
O.P. RE: file encrypting
alright never mind then - il just delete stuff i dont want ppl to see
"You don't sleep, you defragment!"
11-26-2005 11:32 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Concord Dawn
Veteran Member

This is a loopy fruit.

33 / Male / –
RE: file encrypting
Cookie, zipping files into an archive and compressing them are two different things. Zipping files is much more effective at reducing size, and if you have the WinZip utility, it allows you to apply a 256-bit AES encryption to the archive, making it hard for people to get at what's inside the archive. Compressing them without putting them into an archive (disk compression) is an NTFS feature. As mentioned above, it's not as effective at reducing file size.

[Image: CompressionCompare.png]

I know that .01MB isn't that big, but I was compressing JPG images, which is already a compressed format, so there isn't much change. But in any case, it still shows that NTFS compression isn't as good as WinZip(or WinRAR) compression
[Image: 7.png]
11-27-2005 05:40 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Ezra
Veteran Member

Forgiveness is between them and God

37 / Male / Flag
Do considder that the encryption of .zip files is more easily brute-force hacked than for example .rar, but if you use a password with over 8 characters it won't matter much.
[Image: 1-0.png]

11-27-2005 06:41 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Jhrono
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Ezra

Do considder that the encryption of .zip files is more easily brute-force hacked than for example .rar, but if you use a password with over 8 characters it won't matter much.
Brute force takes ages :P
11-27-2005 06:46 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Johny
Brute force takes ages
Just a few hours with a good automated tool when the password isn't to long and no weird characters are used.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
11-27-2005 07:14 PM
DJKAL

33 / Male / –
O.P. RE: RE: file encrypting
quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
quote:
Originally posted by Johny
Brute force takes ages
Just a few hours with a good automated tool when the password isn't to long and no weird characters are used.

dont think my family are rllly that arsed {or would no how to do it!:P} to break into my pc files
11-27-2005 07:30 PM
Ezra
Veteran Member

Forgiveness is between them and God

37 / Male / Flag
If you have a good tool and the password is not longer than 6 chars then it's a matter of hours :P, Good tools can get up to a couple million passwords a second.

[Image: attachment.php?pid=570496]

.gif File Attachment: zip cracked.GIF (3.72 KB)
This file has been downloaded 285 time(s).
[Image: 1-0.png]

11-27-2005 09:29 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: file encrypting
quote:
Originally posted by Concord Dawn
Cookie, zipping files into an archive and compressing them are two different things.
Yes I know...  We are also talking about two different things here: compressing data and encrypting data. Reread the thread from the beginning ;)

quote:
Originally posted by Concord Dawn
Compressing them without putting them into an archive (disk compression) is an NTFS feature. As mentioned above, it's not as effective at reducing file size.
It is almost equaly effective! Especially if you compare it to the zip method; Both use almost the exact same methods of compressing. (hence why zipping is nativly part of Windows XP; it uses the same libraries) You might wanna study the technical compression algorithems used by Winzip (see the PKZIP consortium for that) and the nativly windows compression algorithems (look up the source for uncompressing packed windows files).

What you showed in your screenshots doesn't say a thing I'm afraid. The sizes shown there in the red rectangles are the normal, uncompressed sizes, not the true sizes on the disk after compression.

--------------

This thread is seriously going in all directions except towards the real problem/solution... Why do people rather make it difficult for themself instead of using already available stuff??????

This post was edited on 11-27-2005 at 10:25 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-27-2005 10:12 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
DJKAL

33 / Male / –
O.P. RE: file encrypting
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
This thread is seriously going in all directions except towards the real problem/solution... Why do people rather make it difficult for themself instead of using already available stuff??????
agreed!
il re-ask the question and see if anyone can help me then as it will be clear - maybe!

is it possable to passoword protect my 'my documents' folder using windows XP home edition.
i dont want to password prototect my whole user account as i liike the convenience of being logged in automatically upon booting windows.
11-28-2005 04:04 PM
andrewdodd13

Oh so retro

34 / Male / Flag
It's actually *slightly* harder than that to prevent other users from accessing My Documents, as I found out the hard way.

The easy way is to boot into safe mode and log on as Administrator, because this account usually doesn't have a password and can usually access all the files.

The harder way is to use a linux boot disk, but as you say your family isn't going to do this to check up on you :).

Basically, without a single-file encrypter, or XP Pro's builtin functions, actually *Encrypting* the files will be impossible. All you're doing is restricting access, which can be pretty easily circumvented.

P.S. Try:
Start -> Run. Type "cmd". Now type (replacing <user> with your username):
cacls c:\documents and settings\<user>\My Documents /G <user>:F

This should prevent even Administrator from opening the folder :).
[Image: AndrewsStyle.png]
11-28-2005 05:41 PM
Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: