What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Lockpicking - Legal or illegal?

Pages: (7): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 5 6 » Last »
Lockpicking - Legal or illegal?
Author: Message:
thc2010

Revenge is a meal best served cold

37 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal?
louhabs is somewhat right when he said "If you want to secure your stuff, don't use a cheap lock"

If you're into lockpicking you'll know that the Bumping meathod works best on expensive locks lol however, its the oposite with the raking or bouncing meathod of picking a lock.

if you don't want kids breaking into your house use an electroic lock, if you wanna keep profesional theafs out of your home, buy security guards a camera, lazer sensors and a dog... a lock will not stop an organized thief from breaking into your house, it will only slow them down.. or just live inside the bank vault or a jail cell.

This post was edited on 11-27-2005 at 10:16 PM by thc2010.
[Image: glennlopez.png]
Click the image above to send me a message on MSN messenger via web browser.
11-27-2005 10:14 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal?
I think if you can prove what your picking the lock of is your own possesion then its fine but other then that I think its a criminal offence.

HowStuffWorks Lock Picking
11-27-2005 10:31 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Negro_Joe

Go!Go!Go!

34 / Male / –
i can pick locks...:\

i played splinter cell...:D

[Image: sinavatar4ie.jpg]

11-27-2005 10:34 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal?
quote:
Originally posted by lou_habs
I think that you should be allowed to have one if you really want to.
That's BS... for what legit reason should you have a lockpicker?????

quote:
Originally posted by thc2010
Anyways, the reson I wanted to know everyones opinion is so that i can get ready to explain my self to my english teacher why lockpicking isnt illegal but burgualry is.
lockpicking IS illegal if the intention is to break in, just as it is stated in the law which you quoted.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Johny
You buy a lock, you buy any lock, you can even buy a 50c lock...Anyone who picks it should be prosecutted for doing so!it's a crime
AND THE LOCK'S QUALITY HAS GOT NOTHING TO DO WITH IT
Ohh your 100% wrong about this
He's 500% correct in that! Breaking in is illegal, it doesn't matter if it was a cheap lock or not. Heck, even if it wasn't locked at all, it is not legal to break in other people's properties...

quote:
Locks are primarly used too keep people out, and if you pick a house door open, your insurance agency cant do anything about it becuase they'll just say "You left your door open, im sorry, I cant cover your losses"
True, but that certainly DOES NOT make it legal to break those locks!!!

quote:
Originally posted by lou_habs
What I meant is, if all your doing is opening the lock, and then closing it again, fine. If you're stealing, far from fine. I didnt mean it to be like that.
Stealing hasn't got anything to do with it. Breaking in on itself is illegal.

---------

quote:
Anyways, the reason I wanted to know everyones opinion is so that i can get ready to explain my self to my english teacher why lockpicking isnt illegal but burgualry is.
don't bother, reread the law you just quoted, it clearly says everything.....

This post was edited on 11-27-2005 at 10:41 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-27-2005 10:38 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Negro_Joe
i can pick locks...:\

i played splinter cell...:D
Picking locks in Splinter Cell is jevenille at best. Its much harder to actually do it in real life, it seems easy but its not. I have tried with my house while standing inside lol.
11-27-2005 10:39 PM
dotNorma
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
I dont think it should be illegal to pick locks. My next door neighboor learned to pick locks over the summer and its extremely useful. Ive locked myself out of my house so many times and been able to get back in.

There really isnt much of a point of banning the carrying of lock picks because it takes too much time to do and any average criminal would just break a window. :-/

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

For locking yourself out of your house or such, which I do on a monthly basis. Keep it in your back wallet.

This post was edited on 11-27-2005 at 10:43 PM by dotNorma.
11-27-2005 10:40 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
thc2010

37 / Male / –
O.P. RE: RE: RE: RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal?
wow someones got an asshole syndrome 2day.
Lets correct you... Cookie.

quote:
He thinks... which meens, he's opinionating, it doesnt the world works that way. Also, its not illegal in some countries to have a lockpick set keep that in mind. But then again, you can turn just about anything into a lockpick set if you use comon sence. So they cant realy charge you for having a saftey pin or a screw driver around lol.

quote:
lockpicking IS illegal if the intention is to break in, just as it is stated in the law which you quoted.
Dude, lock picking isnt illegal. Burgulary is, did you read what I said properly? I lockpick tumbler locks for a hobby, that doesnt meen im doing something illegal. Just becuase I know how to cut bread with a knife doesnt meen im gona go out and cut flesh. Its the same concept with knowing how to pick a lock, jest becuase I know how to doesnt meen im gona go out into the real work and steal some stuff just for fun.

quote:
He's 500% correct in that! Breaking in is illegal, it doesn't matter if it was a cheap lock or not. Heck, even if it wasn't locked at all, it is not legal to break in other people's properties...
Read before you opinionate, he ment, keeping people out is better if you have a better lock thats expensive.

quote:
True, but that certainly DOES NOT make it legal to break those locks!!!
I don't know if your were just agreeing to sound smart but no where did I say that breaking into those locks are legal. I said it before and ill say it again, Lock picking isnt illegal, Burgulary is... if you pick a lock thats lockpicking, if you pick a lock for fun, that's a hoby, if you pick a lock to break into someones house, thats a crime.

also, i take back what I said, your not an asshole, your just trying to be a wise ass :P

This post was edited on 11-27-2005 at 11:01 PM by thc2010.
11-27-2005 10:52 PM
thc2010

37 / Male / –
O.P. RE: RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal?
quote:
Originally posted by .Norma
I dont think it should be illegal to pick locks. My next door neighboor learned to pick locks over the summer and its extremely useful. Ive locked myself out of my house so many times and been able to get back in.

There really isnt much of a point of banning the carrying of lock picks because it takes too much time to do and any average criminal would just break a window. :-/

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

For locking yourself out of your house or such, which I do on a monthly basis. Keep it in your back wallet.

I don't carry lockpicks in public period lol, i dont wanna be fined for posesion.. I just carry things that I can turn into a lockpick set.. lick a screw driver and a saftey pin.

For me, I just make my picks using a hacksaw blade and griding them down to the proper shape then using them untill it breaks/wears down. Other than that.. :D lockpicking is fun, sometimes i'll even pick in the toilet while im taking a dump. Or pick a lock while im driving and see if I can pick a lock before the trafic light turns from red to green.. its all fun :D

I find it amusing how somepeople think your a crazy criminal, just becuase you know how to pick a lock. Lock picking isnt rocket science, it just takes practice

This post was edited on 11-27-2005 at 11:03 PM by thc2010.
11-27-2005 10:56 PM
kittymew

Bitten By A snowball in hell!

– / Female / –
If you unlock something in anyways or means.without the item's owner permission..its illegal.:)
unless a person is at risk from injury to themselves or others then you may break a lock to put person/persons out of risk,only then.

note:"the owners permission"
:)
11-27-2005 11:05 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Lockpicking - Legal or illegal?
quote:
wow someones got an asshole syndrome 2day.
also, i take back what I said, your not an asshole, your just trying to be a wise ass :P
Ah, So now you're flaming me without any reason? I was friendly before and just stated objective stuff... but ok.... let's play the wise ass then...

quote:
quote:
Dude, lock picking isnt illegal. Burgulary is, did you read what I said properly?
Did you read what I've said?: ...if the intention is to break in...

quote:
quote:
Read before you opinionate, he ment, keeping people out is better if you have a better lock thats expensive.
you read again in what he said: ...Anyone who picks your lock should be prosecutted for doing so! it's a crime...

enough said...

PS: double posting is also against the rules

This post was edited on 11-27-2005 at 11:16 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-27-2005 11:11 PM
Pages: (7): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 5 6 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: