What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » How to use both MSN7.5 and WLM8.0

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
How to use both MSN7.5 and WLM8.0
Author: Message:
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
RE: How to use both MSN7.5 and WLM8.0
for 7.5 ...not for 8
12-18-2005 06:55 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
DJKAL

33 / Male / –
would all of this work if i have installed WLM 8.0 and i wanted to rename that cos im a beta tester and have installed 8.0 but it obviouslt has written over 7.5
so could i rename msn messnger to msn messneger 8.0 and just install msn 7.5 again as normal?
"You don't sleep, you defragment!"
12-21-2005 12:44 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
yep :)
12-21-2005 12:49 AM
mwe99
Veteran Member

36 / Male / Flag
if you are official tester, check out the newsgroups, there are several posts about it
12-21-2005 01:10 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by DJKAL
would all of this work if i have installed WLM 8.0 and i wanted to rename that cos im a beta tester and have installed 8.0 but it obviouslt has written over 7.5.

So could i rename "msn messenger" to "msn messneger 8.0" and just install messenger 7.5 again as normal?
no[*]

First of all, the chances are very high that you would get a message saying "a newer version of messenger is already installed blahblah uninstall that first".

But most importantly, the reason behind it is that when you install msn messenger, you install for more than only the files you'll find in the msn messenger program directory. Many different libraries are installed (in the system directory) and many things are added to the registry.

If installing messenger only meant adding some files into a directory in your program files, then yes, you could rename, move and do whatever you want in any order you want. But unfortunatly the picture is much bigger (and this doesn't only go for msn messenger, but for extremely many other programs also):

Installing a newer msn messenger version also means installing newer libraries and stuff into your system directory and registry.

If you are lucky those system libraries are downwards compatible (but this is not garanteed!!![**]) this means a system library from messenger 8 could work with a messenger 7. But, vice-versa, a system library of messenger 7 could lack many functions needed for messenger 8.

[*]If you really must have two different versions, do it the other way around. Thus always start from the lowest version first. Install that. Rename the directory, and install the newer version. This will update the libraries instead of downgrading them and the chances of errors due to conflicting versions will be less (but not zero![**]).

[**] and that is also the reason why you will never have a true original, unmodified version running when using two different versions side by side. In other words, if you want to do proper testing (beta testing, plugin testing, whatever) never install two different versions by the method described in this thread as you will never be sure if the bug is a real bug or if it is because you are mixing different versions of libraries and main programs together.

It may work now (although you can not be 100% sure until you compared all the binaries and libraries from all versions to eachother for compatibility), but nothing is guaranteed that it will always work like that.

If it seems to be working on the surface, it doesn't mean it also works 100% under the hood. Thus again, for proper testing anything, never install two different versions like that (no matter in what way or in what order or whatever).

;)

This post was edited on 12-29-2005 at 08:55 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-21-2005 02:05 AM
imranais

O.P. RE: How to use both MSN7.5 and WLM8.0
I totally agree with CookieRevised that its better to install msn 7.5 first and over install WLM 8.0.

I am using both and it works great!
Regards:
Imran Sayed 
[Image: 74005274_0858e0e1fc_o.png]
[Image: 74185295_6f7a99ddde_o.png]
12-21-2005 02:05 AM
DJKAL

33 / Male / –
thanks COOKIEREVISEd..i think il just see if i can re install WINDOWS MESSENGER for now. to use my opther account - thanks anyway!!!
"You don't sleep, you defragment!"
12-21-2005 04:13 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
vaiper

35 / Male / –
imranais did it work for other users on ya computer if u have XP??

[Image: australian.jpg]
[Image: gmail.gif]
01-09-2006 09:43 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
imranais

O.P. RE: How to use both MSN7.5 and WLM8.0
Yes Vaiper it works for other users as well. But I guess the old desktop shortcut for other user needs to be deleted and a new shortcut be created from Msn 7.5 folder.

1) Just login with the other users account.

2) Delete the old shortcut on the desktop.

3) Goto ur Msn folder wherever u saved it.

4) Right click on the msn messenger icon and click send to desktop as shortcut.

It should work now!
Regards:
Imran Sayed 
[Image: 74005274_0858e0e1fc_o.png]
[Image: 74185295_6f7a99ddde_o.png]
01-10-2006 07:28 AM
Pipish

not really active anymore.

31 / Male / Flag
thanks cookie

:)   what would we do without you

This post was edited on 01-10-2006 at 10:03 AM by Pipish.
[Image: fcliverpoolfan2xo.gif]
[Image: roosters4yg.jpg]
01-10-2006 10:00 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: