What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » How to use both MSN7.5 and WLM8.0

Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
How to use both MSN7.5 and WLM8.0
Author: Message:
waters

is it cute or psycho

37 / Male / –
RE: How to use both MSN7.5 and WLM8.0
This is how I managed to run both MSN Messenger 7.5 and Windows Live Messenger Beta 8.0.(It's to easy and at the same time)

1. Download and install the more recent public version of  MSN Messenger(7.5.0311 or 322 after the patch)

2.Download the corrisponding Mess Patch (322) and "enable polygamy".

3.Open Windows Explorer and navigate to "C:/Program Files/". Rename the folder MSN Messenger 7.5 to Messenger "instead of just MSN Messenger" (and remember it dosent matter about the windows messenger so jusst over write it :P)

Remember its extremely important because if you install Windows Live Messenger after, it will just over write MSN Messenger.

4. After renaming the folder, go ahead and install Windows Live Messenger.

5. Navigate to the installed directories,
"C:/Program Files/Messenger" - MSN Messenger 7.5
"C:/Program Files/MSN Messenger" - Windows Live Messenger
And create "ShortCuts" to the desktop for both "msnmsgr.exe" porcesses in these folders.

Step 6:
Run them both and sign in!

WARNING!
You will need 2 (two) different accounts. One for each, msn and wlm (both dont need beta accounts only the one using WLM)

and if msnplus! does not load up with msn7.5 but it does with WML just exit them and load msn7.5 1st and then WML.. if that dont work then reset computer or just crash msnplus and restart it.

or if it doesnt want to open up 2 messengers just re-run the messpatch...

------------------
owell any questions just ask i had no problems yet expte for the 2 i put at the bottom their ejoy and have fun

This post was edited on 01-11-2006 at 06:18 AM by waters.
What to do to day?
01-11-2006 06:11 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
ShawnZ
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
Way to go guys, you managed to post the exact same instructions at least four times in a thread.
Spoiler:
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
the game.
01-11-2006 07:04 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
waters

is it cute or psycho

37 / Male / –
yeah well i know that but the others are like hard to read and a bit confuessing for some ppl! like me i get confuessed trying to follow some ppls instructions :P

o well nice work ppl ejoy the world we live in :P

This post was edited on 01-13-2006 at 11:58 PM by waters.
What to do to day?
01-13-2006 11:33 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Timothy003
Banned

40 / – / –
It's not really hard unless you don't know how to read English very well.

By the way, running both messengers side-by-side causes conflicts with settings because both use the same registry locations. Example: Windows will only run one of the messengers (the one that saved the directory to the msnmsgr.exe last) unless you put then on the Startup folder in the Start menu.
01-14-2006 07:47 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
dudeman_27

DuDeMaN :: dudeman_27@hotmail.com

34 / Male / –
RE: RE: How to use both MSN7.5 and WLM8.0
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
Originally posted by DJKAL
would all of this work if i have installed WLM 8.0 and i wanted to rename that cos im a beta tester and have installed 8.0 but it obviouslt has written over 7.5.

So could i rename "msn messenger" to "msn messneger 8.0" and just install messenger 7.5 again as normal?
no[*]

First of all, the chances are very high that you would get a message saying "a newer version of messenger is already installed blahblah uninstall that first".

But most importantly, the reason behind it is that when you install msn messenger, you install for more than only the files you'll find in the msn messenger program directory. Many different libraries are installed (in the system directory) and many things are added to the registry.

If installing messenger only meant adding some files into a directory in your program files, then yes, you could rename, move and do whatever you want in any order you want. But unfortunatly the picture is much bigger (and this doesn't only go for msn messenger, but for extremely many other programs also):

Installing a newer msn messenger version also means installing newer libraries and stuff into your system directory and registry.

If you are lucky those system libraries are downwards compatible (but this is not garanteed!!![**]) this means a system library from messenger 8 could work with a messenger 7. But, vice-versa, a system library of messenger 7 could lack many functions needed for messenger 8.

[*]If you really must have two different versions, do it the other way around. Thus always start from the lowest version first. Install that. Rename the directory, and install the newer version. This will update the libraries instead of downgrading them and the chances of errors due to conflicting versions will be less (but not zero![**]).

[**] and that is also the reason why you will never have a true original, unmodified version running when using two different versions side by side. In other words, if you want to do proper testing (beta testing, plugin testing, whatever) never install two different versions by the method described in this thread as you will never be sure if the bug is a real bug or if it is because you are mixing different versions of libraries and main programs together.

It may work now (although you can not be 100% sure until you compared all the binaries and libraries from all versions to eachother for compatibility), but nothing is guaranteed that it will always work like that.

If it seems to be working on the surface, it doesn't mean it also works 100% under the hood. Thus again, for proper testing anything, never install two different versions like that (no matter in what way or in what order or whatever).

;)

haha my god, i thought i was the only one that caught this when i first read it. i was scared for a sec. lol.
[Image: atreyu_redefined_border_sig_500.jpg]
01-15-2006 01:54 AM
Timothy003
Banned

40 / – / –
Well, if you really think about it, they weren't designed to be executed simultaneously. :\
01-15-2006 02:01 AM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: