What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » did any1 get a ethernet connection with there free usb modem from their isp?

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
did any1 get a ethernet connection with there free usb modem from their isp?
Author: Message:
ss2005

ss2005

– / Male / –
O.P. did any1 get a ethernet connection with there free usb modem from their isp?
does the free modems come with ethernet ports aswell as usb?
12-21-2005 07:30 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
ss2005

ss2005

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: did any1 get a ethernet connection with there free usb modem from their isp?
do the usb modems supplied by isp's come with ethernet ports aswell?
12-21-2005 07:56 PM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
RE: did any1 get a ethernet connection with there free usb modem from their isp?
Depends on the model.

A modem you get from your ISP isn't any different from the modems you can buy in stores. Except from firmware/software/accessories, but that's not the point here.

There are thousands types of modems, so need more info.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
12-21-2005 07:57 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
ss2005

ss2005

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: did any1 get a ethernet connection with there free usb modem from their isp?
tesco but i cannot find any info on the modem you get with them. i need to know because of the router i have
12-21-2005 07:59 PM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
RE: did any1 get a ethernet connection with there free usb modem from their isp?
All cable modems are going to have an RJ45 connection. This interface is standard for DSL and Cable internet connections.

If the ISP is providing you with a USB to Ethernet Adapter this is so that incase you do not have  NIC you can connect the USB Adapter to your USB Port and connect the USB Adapter via an Ethernet Cable to the Modem.

Hope that clears it up for you.
12-21-2005 08:02 PM
ss2005

ss2005

– / Male / –
is there an adaptor which changes your usb connection in to an ethernet connection?
12-21-2005 08:17 PM
tomfletcherman

35 / Male / –
A lot of modems supplied by your ISP simply don't have this feature - because in doing this, they can attempt to sell you a wireless package rather than let you network your own.
12-21-2005 08:17 PM
ss2005

ss2005

– / Male / –
yes which is very annoying. does anyone know any good ethernet modems?
12-21-2005 08:20 PM
tomfletcherman

35 / Male / –
You could buy a combined ADSL modem and router, and then request the information you would need to connect to the internet using it from your ISP. I suggest looking at Draytek routers as there are models that have an integrated modem and hard wired/wireless LAN capability. You may also want to contact your ISP to find out the connection type you have (there's asdl and isdl I think).
12-21-2005 08:23 PM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Matty
All cable modems are going to have an RJ45 connection. This interface is standard for DSL and Cable internet connections.
There are enough modems that only have a phone line/cable connection and USB to connect it to your pc. Some Dutch ISPs have supplied such models and i'm sure there are more ISPs that do that.

Fore example: SpeedTouch 330 USB ADSL Modem

RJ45 insn't standard for cable or DSL at all. My DSL line has a RJ11 connector. Any my coax cable doesn't have RJ45 either.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
12-21-2005 08:26 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: