What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » MSN - ICQ, Yahoo, AIM GTalk interconnection

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
MSN - ICQ, Yahoo, AIM GTalk interconnection
Author: Message:
-dt-
Scripting Contest Winner

;o

35 / Male / Flag
RE: MSN - ICQ, Yahoo, AIM GTalk interconnection
http://www.imtiger.com/
Imtiger adds support for AIM , ICQ into msn and im sure if you asked the guy who made it nicly he would add gtalk (should be easy since its just uses the jabber protocol)
[Image: dt2.0v2.png]      Happy Birthday, WDZ
01-08-2006 07:09 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by vk3xem
Would it be possible for Msg Plus! to be able to log into other IM services rather than running the crap they offer?  I'm sure it would be a very popular feature and would make it one awsome IM package.
no, simply because Messenger Plus! is not a chat client. It is a features addon for an already existing chat client, it isn't a client, in any form, on its own.

quote:
Originally posted by vk3xem
Maybe a plugin for Messenger Plus! would be the way to go?  Wish I knew how to write one 
As for plugins, it is in theory possible but that would require a hell of a lot of very advanced programming and usage of workarounds and what not. Something you better do with a standalone addon (like the one -dt- has linked to) than with a plugin for an addon which only is initially made to add loose features.

This post was edited on 01-08-2006 at 07:26 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
01-08-2006 07:19 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Mentality

The Best Representation OF me IS ME!

38 / Male / Flag
People just need to register their emails through Microsoft Passport, weather it be gmail, Yahoo, AOL or w/e and they will work on MSN regardless. I've done it with gmail before now, and I got AOL and (obviously) Yahoo users on my contact list.

Just a case of lack of information or people just wanting to use other clients

quote:
Originally posted by Microsoft

Use an e-mail address you already have
You can use any existing e-mail address from any e-mail provider when you create your credentials for the Passport Network. Then you can use those credentials to sign in to any site on the Passport Network.
quote:
Originally posted by Mentality
including MSN Messenger (WLM if your signed up)

To access e-mail at www.hotmail.com, you must use an MSN or Hotmail e-mail address, or an address associated with an MSN Personal Address.

Get Started Now

Source - From Passport Website

This post was edited on 01-08-2006 at 12:45 PM by Mentality.
01-08-2006 11:35 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: MSN - ICQ, Yahoo, AIM GTalk interconnection
quote:
People just need to register their emails through Microsoft Passport, weather it be gmail, Yahoo, AOL or w/e and they will work on MSN regardless. I've done it with gmail before now, and I got AOL and (obviously) Yahoo users on my contact list.

That will simply make their email address a .NET passport, only useable on the MSN Messenger network. That will not make them able to use Yahoo, ICQ/AIM, whatever or connect the MSN Messenger network with these other networks...
01-08-2006 12:00 PM
Mentality

38 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
That will simply make their email address a .NET passport, only useable on the MSN Messenger network. That will not make them able to use Yahoo, ICQ/AIM, whatever or connect the MSN Messenger network with these other networks...

I know that, but the guy was asking about being able to use MSN and Plus! not the other ones. if people signed up their emails to .NET then they would be able to talk to people using MSN, they would obviously already be able to use their own clients I.E gTalk, AIM, Yahoo.

But I get the point you are trying to get across, it would still involve everybody (besides yahoo and apparantly AIM) using the same client, which I did make reference to.

quote:

This post was edited on 01-08-2006 at 12:15 PM by Mentality.
01-08-2006 12:10 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
The OP asks for integration between all networks. He's not asking his friends to switch networks.

You still need to use specific clients for specific networks. There is no cross-network protocol integration; people with only a Yahoo account are not able to talk to people with only an ICQ/AIM account which are not able to talk to people with only a Gmail chat account which are not able to talk to people with only an MSN acount etc...

I fail to see how signing up to the .NET network will suddenly make him able to use MSN Messenger with other networks. Signing up to the .NET network with whatever email will make that email address useable as an MSN account, nothing more, it will not make it suddenly useable for other networks too. Signing up to the .NET network will still need you to switch networks.

(although MSN and Yahoo have teamed up to make cross-network chatting possible in the far future without the need for a second Yahoo account if using MSN Messenger or without a second MSN account if using Yahoo chat)

This post was edited on 01-08-2006 at 12:32 PM by CookieRevised.
01-08-2006 12:23 PM
Mentality

38 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
The OP asks for integration between all networks. He's not asking his friends to switch networks.

I fail to see how signing up on the .NET network will suddenly make him able to use MSN Messenger with other networks.

I never said that it would, I simply implied that if people knew they could sign up to the .NET network without having to change their email address to an MSN/Hotmail account: - then intigration wouldn't have to be a point of call, I was simply offering other ideas/alternatives.

But again, like I said, people don't all want to use the same Client.

Just like they don't want, or are not able to use the same service.

This post was edited on 01-08-2006 at 12:32 PM by Mentality.
01-08-2006 12:31 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
(...) without having to change their email address to an MSN/Hotmail account then intigration wouldn't have to be a point of call (...)
yes it will.... signing up to the .NET Network will not make integration any easier or whatever. There is absolutely no difference at all if you sign up or not with whatever email address you use. You still are using two very different networks.

The only benefit signing up to the .NET network will have is that you don't need to create a specific hotmail email. But both accounts will still be very very different and both can only be used on the specific networks.

Thus, it is not an alternative at all, it's simply a convenient benefit that you can use any email address to sign up to the .NET network, you still need to use specific clients and specific accounts for the specific networks which the OP doesn't want.

The .NET passport is nothing more than a login name which coincidently is your email address; If I sign up to a website with the same login name than which I used on another website doesn't make both websites suddenly integrated or able to exchange info with eachother, both are still very different accounts without any integration between them at all, they just have the same login name

This post was edited on 01-08-2006 at 12:41 PM by CookieRevised.
01-08-2006 12:35 PM
Mentality

38 / Male / Flag
I wasn't talking about integration, I never said by signing upto the .NET(work) that, that would be any form of intergration. Let alone make integration easier.

I was saying, if people signed up to the .NET (Microsoft Passport) Network then they would be able to be added to people's contact lists, but they themselves would still have to use the MSN client. (I maybe never made that part clear) unless they where using Yahoo (or apparantly AIM) where they wouldn't need to sign upto the network, or use the MSN client at all.

But I know that not everybody would be willing to do this, or they don't know that they could.

This post was edited on 01-08-2006 at 01:04 PM by Mentality.
01-08-2006 12:42 PM
vk3xem

Communications

57 / Male / –
O.P. RE: RE: MSN - ICQ, Yahoo, AIM GTalk interconnection
quote:
Originally posted by -dt-
http://www.imtiger.com/
Imtiger adds support for AIM , ICQ into msn and im sure if you asked the guy who made it nicly he would add gtalk (should be easy since its just uses the jabber protocol)

Great stuff -dt-,  That's exactly what I was after!

Now I have finally gotten rid of the dinasour ICQ 2003b

The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM.
01-08-2006 03:28 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: