What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Xbox 360 or new computer?

Pages: (4): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 » Last »
Poll: Should I buy a Xbox 360 or a new computer?
Xbox 360
Computer
[Show Results | Edit Poll]
Xbox 360 or new computer?
Author: Message:
zach

33 / Male / Flag
O.P. Undecided  Xbox 360 or new computer?
Lately I have been thinking about getting a new computer (mainly for gaming), but I have also thought about getting an xbox 360. A computer would be the better option if I wanted to use it for a range of things, but the xbox would be better for games and it would be cheaper.
So which one do you think I should get?
01-17-2006 07:47 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
user27089
Disabled Account

RE: Xbox 360 or new computer?
Get a new computer, because you can keep upgrading that, whereas the xbox 360 specs will always be the same... I've always been an xbox fan and last year I would've said "get the xbox 360", but now that I've played on an xbox 360 a few times, I'm really disappointed with it. My computer isn't brilliant, and call of duty 2 looks far better on my computer. One thing I have noticed with the 360 is that the anti-aliasing on pretty much every game released is terrifyingly bad.
01-17-2006 07:55 AM
spokes

I <3 Rollerblading

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by traxor
Get a new computer, because you can keep upgrading that

[Image: sig15ws.png]
01-17-2006 07:57 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
i agree with the others, get a New PC
01-17-2006 08:30 AM
zach

33 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: Xbox 360 or new computer?
quote:
Originally posted by traxor
Get a new computer, because you can keep upgrading that, whereas the xbox 360 specs will always be the same... I've always been an xbox fan and last year I would've said "get the xbox 360", but now that I've played on an xbox 360 a few times, I'm really disappointed with it. My computer isn't brilliant, and call of duty 2 looks far better on my computer. One thing I have noticed with the 360 is that the anti-aliasing on pretty much every game released is terrifyingly bad.

Okay, that's interesting. My friend who is an xbox fan has something to say :P

quote:
1: Cod 2 on 360 has slightly higher res textures than the pc version so it can't look better
2: cod 2 has 4 x aa enabled, so the only reason it would look jaggy is the fact that the HDTV was not set up properly
3: If he was playing at say walmart, it might have been playing the demo disk containing a cod2 demo, kameo etc. If so, these were not the final build.
4: Most, Even High End (7800 gtx, 4400 X2 etc.), pcs, can barely make a 50 fps average let alone a solid 60 with no fps drops.
5: Most of the games on 360 at launch did not have AA because of time constraints. They were unable to use tileing.
6: Future games will continue to push the console as none of the games right now use the full power of the console.
7: Consider this. The xbox 1, with its 733 mhz pentium III, 64 mb ram and its 233 mhz geforce 3/4 hybrid, was able to play doom 3 at medium settings with a solid 30 fps. Now how is that possible when the console was released in 2001. The reason is that its a closed system. Pc games will always have to scale back their engines for lower range hardware and therfore don't have the ability to utilize
the full strength of your pcs hardware, whereas with a 360, the devs. will be able to utilize all the strength of the console.
8: You may have using a SDTV, which would make the game 640x480.
9: If you somehow think that there is a gpu on the market that has the same capabilities as the Xenos (360 gpu), then you are quite ignorant to its tech. The 360 gpu uses technology only to be found in the r600 gpu which has yet to be released. But, it also has something better than the r600. EDRAM. With this edram, the xenos or xenon, does not need to use its power to do AA etc. Look at some of the pc sites for a larger view at the potential of the 360 hardware.
He also wants to know your PC specs.
01-17-2006 08:37 AM
user27089
Disabled Account

The game was running on a high resolution screen with the full game on it.

By the way, my specs are:

2.13GHz AMD Athlon CPU
ATi Radeon 9600 Pro
512Mb RAM.

My FPS runs at around 50ish most of the time.

The call of duty that i played in comparison to my computer version was terrible, the draw distance etc. is so poor.

I have played the following xbox 360 games:
Call of Duty 2
Kameo
Project Gotham 3.

and on all of those, the AA was crap.

I suggest a computer, get dual gpu's too so that it renders vertically up and down really fast and at a high quality...

This post was edited on 01-17-2006 at 04:34 PM by user27089.
01-17-2006 04:33 PM
Jhrono
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
GET A PC!! as traxor said before, you can upgrade it and new games will exist within five years for pc, and xbox 360 will be discontinued just like the older gaming systems
01-17-2006 04:45 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
user27089
Disabled Account

quote:
Originally posted by nimicitor
they still make PS1 and dreamcast games.

But it is very rare that a new game comes out for either of those.
01-17-2006 05:26 PM
Jhrono
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
Ok, so let him buy a xbox360 if you want, in 3 years he'll be complaining, like i do with my ps2, which i rarely play besides from pro evolution soccer 5
01-17-2006 05:33 PM
QtanJ

34 / Male / –
Buy a computer:

1. It's easier to modify it.
2. More games comes to computers
3. You can upgrade it.
4. You can remote controll it to play everywhere(not recommended even with a fast connection to the computer)
5.  With emulators you can play any consoll only game(when someone have made them, doubt they'll ever emulates the games in consoll format as smooth as the consoll though)
6.  Better multiplayer experience
7. You can tell people you bought it for work.
8. More unofficial fixes.

Of course you should choose, but I'll never going to buy or suggest anyone to buy any xbox no matter what.
Linux > Windows
Opengl > DirectX
01-17-2006 05:51 PM
Pages: (4): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: