What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » throw back to msgr history...

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
throw back to msgr history...
Author: Message:
[MR]
Veteran Member

Scruffy Ruffy

33 / Male / Flag
RE: throw back to msgr history...
no windows messenger isnt msn.  msn messenger 1-4 is totally different, but they do look similar. 
[Image: siggy20ss.jpg]
01-25-2006 11:24 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
qgroessl
Veteran Member

33 / – / Flag
Windows messenger is just something they put with windows machines... Now people can use they're home email accounts on windows messenger and stuff... Like... My friend owns a business... her address is something@herbusiness.net (i can't remember what it is exactly)... But that's the address she used for the passport.
01-25-2006 11:28 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Voldemort
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
windows messenger is business oriented, many people say its more secure than msn, wlm or msn are more like... non business oriented.. to normal people, casual users
*All posts are a purely speculative hypothesis based on abstract reasoning.
Not my daughter, you bitch!
[Image: ico-mollytrix16.gif]
01-25-2006 11:28 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: throw back to msgr history...
quote:
Originally posted by n0n3x1574n7
Windows Messenger is MSN Messenger isn't it?
Just they rename different versions.
No, they were never the same (dispite what people might say!!) and they are totally different products made by different teams and aimed for a different userbase (Windows Messenger is bussiness oriented, MSN Messenger is "casual" oriented).

quote:
Originally posted by n0n3x1574n7
I thought it went like:
Windows Messenger 1 - 4
No:

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Every MSN Messenger prior to version 5  (eventhough it wasn't called MSN Messenger in version 1, 2, etc) had the same sounds (but less of them of course) than what they use now in Windows Messenger.

Since MSN Messenger 5, the sounds changed to what they are today. However, gradually more sounds have been added since though.

There was no "Windows Messenger" v1, 2, 3, etc... nor was there a "MSN Messenger".

There was only 1 messenger and it was called "MSN Messenger Service".

It was only later (after v4) that the product was split into "MSN Messenger" and "Windows Messenger". Windows Messenger stayed with major version number 4 and went on from that (to 5.1.xxxx today), and MSN Messenger started with major build v5.0 (to 6.2.xxxx today)...

And with the birth of "Windows Live Messenger" (following the major build number path of MSN Messenger, starting at v8), the aim is again to merge both "MSN Messenger" and "Windows Messenger" into one product again.

All the above goes for MSN and Windows Messenger for Windows. For the Mac, there is/was a MSN Messenger v1, 2, 3, 4....

---

The sounds used in "Windows Messenger" today are still exactly the same as the ones used in "MSN Messenger Service" (though, back then there were less sounds).

This post was edited on 01-25-2006 at 11:50 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
01-25-2006 11:41 PM
Jhrono
Veteran Member

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by groessl35
Now people can use they're home email accounts on windows messenger and stuff... Like... My friend owns a business... her address is something@herbusiness.net (i can't remember what it is exactly)... But that's the address she used for the passport.
:|  ?? You can already use that with msn messenger and with every single .net passport thingie (connect.microsoft.com per example). My net passport is a gmail email, per example. all you have to do is to register the email at http://www.passport.net and you'll be able to use it in msn messenger/windows messenger and in other services!!
01-25-2006 11:46 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
qgroessl
Veteran Member

33 / – / Flag
I know you can now... But I don't think you could before they offered windows messenger?... maybe you could... but oh well.
01-25-2006 11:51 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Johny
quote:
Originally posted by groessl35
Now people can use they're home email accounts on windows messenger and stuff... Like... My friend owns a business... her address is something@herbusiness.net (i can't remember what it is exactly)... But that's the address she used for the passport.
:|  ?? You can already use that with msn messenger and with every single .net passport thingie (connect.microsoft.com per example). My net passport is a gmail email, per example. all you have to do is to register the email at http://www.passport.net and you'll be able to use it in msn messenger/windows messenger and in other services!!

Indeed... the .NET Passport has got not much todo with what you can use as IM program.

Though, in the early days, when .NET Passport didn't existed yet as they do now, you only could sign in with a hotmail or other MS related email address. But since years and years, since the .NET service was born, you can sign in with any MS IM program using your .NET Passport.

And a .NET Passport can be anything you like, it does not need to be an email from MS at all. Though MS emails are automatically also .NET Passports.....

This post was edited on 01-25-2006 at 11:54 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
01-25-2006 11:53 PM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: