What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » MSN 8 Skins...

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
MSN 8 Skins...
Author: Message:
Maku_Enterprises

O.P. MSN 8 Skins...
I am looking for someone who is good with photoshop and wants to create skins for the new MSN Messenger. If you don't have it I'll send you an invite so you can work on it with me. Thanks
01-23-2006 06:17 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Matti
Elite Member

Script Developer and Helper

31 / Male / Flag
RE: MSN 8 Skins...
At this point, skinning Windows Live Messenger 8 isn't possible. Since Microsoft used messy RLE's instead of simple PNG's, we aren't able to skin the biggest part of Messenger. Untill this is fixed, skinners will get stuck on 7.5...

I would be glad to help you, but it's just not possible... :(
Plus! Script Developer | Plus! Beta Tester | Creator of Countdown Live | Co-developer of Screenshot Sender 5

Found my post useful? Rate me!
01-23-2006 06:23 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
absorbation
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Do not let the headline fool you, I wish I could be saying that I really do however skinning may have reached the end with Windows Live Messenger, this post is a report into, the world of skinning Live and how it may of died.

In MSN Messenger we had the ability using certain software’s to replace the resources in the main exe (msnmsgr) to modify the appearance, by changing bitmaps, icons, uifiles and the main image format pngs. In Windows Live Messenger, we have all these things expect for the pngs. This is a huge blow as skinning is useless without images, and skinners like theunknown and ipab spend weeks finding out information that could enable us to skin again.

The research discovered that a new image format was included, known as .rle, immediately we thought we could skin again by converting it into a png, editing it and converting back to .rle but low and behold Microsoft officially hate us a made the extension in there own encoding thus making this technique impossible unless we were Microsoft employees.

Our hopes were down and we began to speculate, maybe in Live a new skinning system is being set up, one that allows us to change themes like visual style do, it makes sense why else would they change it? However, after fizcials numerous e-mails to the team they claimed they had no idea what we were on about and there were no public plans to set up a skinning system. Furthermore by patching the main .exe the sharing folders feature stops working, as it needs to be digitally signed and we all know the team are extremely proud of this new feature and would go at all costs to keep it.

So skinning does look bleak now and we cannot say if there will be any more skins coming soon, the only way to skin is hard and annoying we could manually re-add the links to the pngs in the uifiles, which would make the whole process about 3 times as long. I plan to keep fully up to date about skinning Live so stick around for more information.

My explantion :P
01-23-2006 06:27 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
John Anderton
Elite Member

37 / Male / Flag
It is really sad that this has happened ..... i hope there will be a possibility of skinning in the future ....
Did ms not like people changing the default theme that they had ?? :P
Oh well :p
[

KarunAB.com
]

[img]http://gamercards.exophase.com/459422.png[
/img]
01-23-2006 06:59 PM
ipab
Veteran Member

Design Evolved

34 / Male / Flag
its been skinned... to be honest, if not for the rle's, everything would be the same. There are ways around the rle and the unknown is really good at that. I'm trying to get used to that way too.
56656E692C 20566964692C 2056696369
01-24-2006 05:03 AM
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
Sad there will be no skins but we'll soon get used to with what we have now an live without them
01-24-2006 05:16 AM
ipab
Veteran Member

Design Evolved

34 / Male / Flag
Like I said, it can be skinned, it take quite a bit longer but it still can be skinned. Never fear :).
56656E692C 20566964692C 2056696369
01-24-2006 05:40 AM
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
sure if you hack some file which maybe illegal
01-24-2006 05:49 AM
RebelSean
Veteran Member

Microsoft Evangelist

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Animal

Hack? More like chance the resources/PNG's. It's not -that- illegal. As stated many times, the MSN team does not care if it's skinned.

Oh, and I wouldn't even bother anticipating a skin till the release of the final version :p.
I'm on: Twitter, Facebook, and Neowin
01-24-2006 05:52 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
RE: RE: MSN 8 Skins...
quote:
Originally posted by XxRebelSeanxX
quote:
Originally posted by Animal

Hack? More like chance the resources/PNG's. It's not -that- illegal. As stated many times, the MSN team does not care if it's skinned.

Oh, and I wouldn't even bother anticipating a skin till the release of the final version :p.

thats why i said "maybe"  but you did say " its not that illegal"
01-24-2006 06:03 AM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: