What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Permission To Capture A Screenie

Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
Permission To Capture A Screenie
Author: Message:
Kryptonate
Veteran Member

37 / Male / –
RE: Permission To Capture A Screenie
quote:
Originally posted by LipoToid

The admins just have control over the forum. They don't have anything to say over Messenger Plus! itself.

As I said, out of respect for his time I didn't want to bother the man. Surely, there must be those that assist Patchou in some of the decisions that don't require more than I've request.

Respectfully,
LipoToid
I know you did it out of respect for his time, but you wanted an answer and that is what we gave you. Sorry if it's not the one you hoped for.
01-26-2006 05:21 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
LipoToid

LipoToid

O.P. RE: Permission To Capture A Screenie
Well, since there appears to be only one way for the image to be approved, I've decided that maybe this is the interface that should be used instead.

Thanks to all for your information.

App Image The default will show last Topic:
1. [Image: Alpha2.jpg]

App Image Shows Forum Topics:
2. [Image: Alpha3.jpg]

App Image Shown as mouse hovers over the Triee:
3. [Image: Alpha4.jpg]

Respectfully,
LipoToid

This post was edited on 01-26-2006 at 10:25 PM by LipoToid.
01-26-2006 10:23 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
LipoToid

LipoToid

I've modified the interface for an easier navigation.

ADFT Image 1: [Image: Alpha21.jpg]

ADFT Image 2: [Image: Alpha22.jpg]

ADFT Image 3: [Image: Alpha23.jpg]

At this time I probably won't modify the U.I anymore.

I am targeting for a release of Feb 1, 2006 Wednesday for the 1st ADFT Beta
Release for public download.

To Messenger Plus! Admins: I will not be posting anymore images until the ADFT Beta is released. I'll place the Beta in its proper place with the forum section. Thanks to you guys for allowing me to publish the content so far and Patchou.

Respectfully,
LipoToid
01-31-2006 03:50 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Permission To Capture A Screenie
LipoToid, I understand that you wanted to use the button to directly link (or show) to the Plus! forums (PS: why didn't you say this directly in answer to MenthiX's post?, it could have prevented all the talking and replying :p). If the button is indeed used to directly link to the official Plus! Live website, then yes you can use it.

If the button links to the forums (or shows another dialog which has to do with the forums) than rather not use the Plus! Live logo (might be confussing), but the logo from the forum itself.

Since you've adapted the UI of the program to use a treeview instead of buttons (good switch IMO), you could now change the tree nodes (+ - etc) into icons. You can use the "favicon.ico" files from the forums you included in that treeview for that.

For the Messenger Plus! forum this icon is found here:
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/favicon.ico

For MSNFanatic forum:
http://www.msnfanatic.com/favicon.ico
(though it needs some resizing)

For Mess.be:
you need to find a mess.be icon, since it doesn't seem to have a favicon.ico file.
EDIT (thanks to Dempsey): the main site has one though: http://www.mess.be/favicon.ico
Maybe, after confirmation from Dwergs, you can use that one...

If used in this way, nobody (incl. Patchou) will have any problems with granting you permission to use the icons.

This post was edited on 10-09-2010 at 07:15 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
01-31-2006 10:08 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
LipoToid

LipoToid

Hi CookieRevised,

I did ask specifically when I 1st posted my request.

quote:
I am creating a new Instant Message application of which I would like to use a screen snap shot for a button on this particular application that would show ( MSG PLUS! ) as a button link for browser navigation. How can I get permission with the capture I've made for this purpose?
CookieRevised,
"favicon.ico" files, this is something that I had not considered.
But, absolutely! GREAT idea !  I am trying to get the ADFT application out the door for tomorrow. I don't know if I've got the time to go back and make the changes to the tree right now. But, as soon as I get the 1st Beta out I intend to change it to use the "favicon.ico" files and probably some other U.I. changes.

Daniel from ( msnfanatic.com ) asked me this particular question.
quote:
Does this work by scraping the page and manipulating the data?
Here's my response.
I use to use a well behaved Robot but I decide just to use a cached webpage from a hidden download within the ADFT app. I then parse the download webpage for identifying the content metrics for the recent Today's posting. The elements I extract are only :

1. Title
2. Date
3. Orginal Poster
4. Last Poster
5. A link into the Posting on the Forum of that specific Topic posting.

The idea is to show ( ONLY ) the most current Today's Forum Topic Listing and no other content listings of that or any of the msgplus.net Forums.

I absolutely, ( DO NOT ) modify any content on the ( msgplus.net ) website or its contents in any mode of operation.

Respectfully,
LipoToid

This post was edited on 01-31-2006 at 02:58 PM by LipoToid.
01-31-2006 02:56 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Hi CookieRevised,

quote:
I am creating a new Instant Message application of which I would like to use a screen snap shot for a button on this particular application that would show ( MSG PLUS! ) as a button link for browser navigation. How can I get permission with the capture I've made for this purpose?

You didn't actually...

"browser navigation" doesn't say a thing about what the button will do. What "browser navigation"? And most importantly: to where?...

For all we knew, it could be a "navigation" to a webpage about cars.
And even if it was to a Messenger Plus! related site, it could well be an unofficial one. Even "browsing" to an official Messenger Plus! place can be not allowed and raise some questions. eg: clicking the button would open the forum shoutbox. Or clicking the button would open the forum. And as shown, this latter case (as it is now) is also not allowed with that image, as the image is not about the forum, but specifically about Plus! Live... etc... etc...

The question of what the button will do was also asked on the other forums where you posted about this, so at first, it wasn't clear at all...

;)

This post was edited on 01-31-2006 at 06:31 PM by CookieRevised.
01-31-2006 06:25 PM
Dempsey
Scripting Contest Winner

http://AdamDempsey.net

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
For Mess.be:
you need to find a mess.be icon, since it doesn't seem to have a favicon.ico file

http://www.mess.be/favicon.ico
SoundPacks   -   Scripts   -   Skins

that's not a bug, thats an unexpected feature
01-31-2006 06:28 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Dempsey
quote:
For Mess.be:
you need to find a mess.be icon, since it doesn't seem to have a favicon.ico file
http://www.mess.be/favicon.ico
Hmmm, thanks.... But it isn't the one of the forums (the forums don't have one). But I suppose if it had one, it would be the same...

This post was edited on 01-31-2006 at 06:33 PM by CookieRevised.
01-31-2006 06:32 PM
LipoToid

LipoToid

O.P. RE: RE: RE: Permission To Capture A Screenie
quote:
quote:
Hi CookieRevised,

quote:

You didn't actually...

"browser navigation" doesn't say a thing about what the button will do. What "browser navigation"? And most importantly: to where?...

For all we knew, it could be a "navigation" to a webpage about cars.
And even if it was to a Messenger Plus! related site, it could well be an unofficial one. Even "browsing" to an official Messenger Plus! place can be not allowed and raise some questions. eg: clicking the button would open the forum shoutbox. Or clicking the button would open the forum. And as shown, this latter case (as it is now) is also not allowed with that image, as the image is not about the forum, but specifically about Plus! Live... etc... etc...

The question of what the button will do was also asked on the other forums where you posted about this, so at first, it wasn't clear at all...

;)

Uhh, the last time I checked the Microsoft SDKs containning the ( idl ) and ( dispatch ) files indicate the information for the term 'Browser Navigation' is very clear.  'Browser Navigation' exercises the browser's URL for target requesting. Most websites have more than one dedicated page within their hosting content. Well, the button's intent was for navigation within the said website ( msgplus.net ). 

True, I didn't state the exact URL location set for the button as a target to the ( msgplus.net ) website hosting.

But, how many serious, legit developers on the Instant messaging Platform would place publicly a button for URL navigation that had the image of ( msg plus! ) to foward a person to the 2006 Super Bowl event?

I hope this clears the respect of my original question, cause I wasn't trying to create a README definition file in the orginal request.

Why not just consider the merits of this effort as an extension for the IM user as a whole?

Respectfully,
LipoToid

01-31-2006 07:06 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
If it is as clear and as "logical" as you stated, the button must have opened a webpage to http://www.msgpluslive.net/, as that is what the logo means. Which clearly wasn't the intention. Thus, sorry, but you didn't specified it properly at first though (even by your own/MS' definition)...
quote:
Why not just consider the merits of this effort as an extension for the IM user as a whole?
Has got nothing to do with this. I never said it is a crappy product or anything like that in that context.

I replied because it was not stated exactly what the use will be of that button as it was not clearly stated (appart from some vague "browser navigation"; which can mean many things from opening a browser, showing a browsed picture, to simulating a browser button).

I pointed out (in a simple info sidenote to my main post) that you didn't specified enough what the button would do, so nobody (including the folks on mess.be where the same question was asked) could give you any direct advise or suggestion if it is/was allowed or not... ...nothing more.

Anyways, and for what it is worth: It is a good and nice idea to make a program for.

This post was edited on 01-31-2006 at 07:36 PM by CookieRevised.
01-31-2006 07:21 PM
Pages: (4): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: